Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Barrel cutting, pinning compensator help

Discussion in 'GATE AR-15 Forum' started by G26man, Nov 1, 2010.

1. G26man

G26man OBEY ME!

Jul 8, 2004
    Forgive me because this is not really an AR, but I am trying to mount an AR compensator and other than possibly the barrel diameter the process should be identical. I have a Kel-Tec SU-16 5.56 rifle that looks like this:

Notice how far the 18.5" barrel sticks out beyond the rest of the rifle when folded? I want this to be a backpack rifle and be as compact as possible when folded so I want to cut the barrel back and permanently mount a compensator so that the total length of the barrel and compensator is 16.1". The barrel diameter where I would cut it is .58". I know I need a crowning tool, but I also need something to remove material from the exterior of the barrel (make it thinner) so the comp will slide on. I already have the compensator I want to use, it is threaded for an AR. Since it is already threaded do I need to thread the barrel first and screw the compensator on and then pin and weld it? If not what tool can I use to remove the material from the exterior of the barrel? Is there a bit that I could use with a threading kit that just removes material but leaves no threads? Not really sure how to proceed. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
  2. Constructor

Constructor Moderator

Dec 10, 2009
    You do need to have the barrel threaded, it should really be done in a 4 jaw chuck on a lathe to get the threads concentric with the bore where the bullet doesn't strike the muzzle device. I have never seen one of those so I don't know how the barrel comes off, I understand you are trying to save money but, the job should be done by a smith. Check with Adco they are more of an internet gunsmith that works on customers guns.