close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Barnes 80gr. Bullet for 380.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by PghJim, Feb 1, 2012.

1. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
  2. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    They are pushing them pretty hard which may not be a bad thing for the Barnes bullet. Some of the data I've seen with the Barnes seems like the penetration increases somewhat as the velocity increases where as it is usually the opposite with more traditional JHP designs. I suspect that it may be do in part to the petals folding back and the lack of "mushrooming" from the shank of the bullet. Sorry to say though I will not be trying any because I really don't trust to shoot max loads in my LCP.

3. NG VI

NG VI

Feb 20, 2008
    Maine
    Of all the expanding bullets, the XTP and the Barnes both seem to get better penetration than can normally be expected from their weight class. Probably the only caliber I'd rather carry XTP than other JHPs in.

4. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011

The Corbon .380 DPX is NOT a +p load. It kicks like a normal .380. Yes, I have shot them. It is the Buffalo Bore +p .380 that can tear up these guns. It is a hot round.

5. NG VI

NG VI

Feb 20, 2008
    Maine
    Actually, I think .32 and .380 are the only two calibers I would ever dutch load.

6. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Yeah I know the Corbon is not a "+P" round. From the tests I've seen of the .380 DPX I'm not really all that impressed, especially for the price point.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  7. unit1069

unit1069

Oct 10, 2007
    So. Central US
    I used to own a .380ACP and spent a lot of time trying to find the optimum self-defense round. I finally accepted the advice to carry FMJ rounds for adequate penetration as the JHP rounds are too "iffy" in that department.

However, if I was carrying a .380ACP as a back-up or quick-run-to-the-7/11 trip I would feel comfortable carrying a solid bullet JHP round like the DPX or Barnes. From what I can tell the solid material lends itself to penetration and no drawbacks to the expansion design.