close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

"Bang for Buck" Preps Award Nominations

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Bolster, May 19, 2012.

1. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    A thread where you nominate what you think is the best "bang for the buck" prep. Most protection for least cash layout, etc.

Since a single bullet is such an obvious nomination (costs pocket change, and can save your life) I'm going to get that nomination out of the way in the first post.

How about you, what do you think deserves a nomination for "so low cost, and so much benefit, everybody should do it/buy it immediately" award?

(Legal disclaimer: No actual awards will be issued. Your computer may be monitored if you post in this thread. Nominations are the intellectual property of the original poster. Post only at your own risk. Posting known to the State of California to cause cancer.)

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  2. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Hey, Bolster, great idea for a thread. I nominate one pound of Calcium Hypochlorite, which may purify up to 15,000 gallons of water for about $4.50.

Everybody should stash a pound of it.

:wavey:

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

Sep 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    1 Greg McGee Engineering AA flashlight for $25 plus shipping.

4. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    The Maverick 88 Shotgun. Just as reliable as all the other big boys, with a better set of controls than either. Usually about $200. Spend the savings on ammo, or more important things like food and water! No need to over do the armory.

There is bang for the buck!

5. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    Condom......can carry water, can save you millions.

6. Chindo18Z

Chindo18Z

Apr 17, 2010
    Aspirin. $2.00

Probably the cheapest and most beneficial over-the-counter medicine one could buy.

Headaches, muscle pain, fevers, toothaches, sprains, sunburn, insect bites, soreness, heart attack/stroke prevention, child safe, etc.

There are other analgesics that do a better job reducing inflammation, but aspirin is still King for most daily ailments...and one of the best preventative non-prescription drugs you can use.

7. great posts. my initial reactions just reading the title was the first 3 posts.

i will add a good dog, most any will do and can be had for free pretty easily. what little cost of maintenance is easily offset by the increased alertness for security as well as morale booster at times.

8. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    What does a dog cost per year?

9. thesurefire

thesurefire

Apr 16, 2006
    Colorado
    Good thread.

I'll throw out the obvious, exercise. Situps, pushups and running. All they cost you is time.

The next best is to copy all your important documents onto a encrypted flash drive. Home deed, contact list, bank account numbers, addresses of relatives, Costs a few hours and 20 dollars to do, but it can save you major headaches later.

Also, add to that flash drive a few gigs of free info, maps, how to build things, solar power, water sanitation, and medical info. It's all free if you take the time to download it and dump it on the little stick. Then you can use it on any computer in the world.

Networking - Take the time to work out who's on the same page as you.

I agree with a cheap (200 dollar) shotgun and 50 rounds of ammo. From near defenseless to well protected in 240 dollars.

Thick (2-4 mil) plastic sheeting and duct tape. 50$ gets you basically prepared to quarantine for any Nuclear, chemical or biological event.

Rubbing alcohol - sanitize anything for 2 dollars.

Anti fungal spray - 3 dollars for a can that will cure everything from itchy feet to ringworm.

Mouthwash - at 5 bucks a bottle you should use it everyday, SHTF or not. Your mouth will thank you.

2 liter bottles - free to save if you drink pop and fill with water for later.

Cut pieces of 2x2 for all opening windows. Costs 10 dollars to secure your whole house from having the windows open when you don't want them two.

Alone that line, Door chains. It's hard to forget to lock a door when you see the chain dangling. Plus they are much harder to kick in than a single lock.

While slightly situation specific, a few of these I think are a great investment. I don't go to hotels without one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/50246-Smart-Home-Door-Alarm/dp/B0000YNR4M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337480388&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: GE 50246 Smart Home Door Stop Alarm: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31jSr3DOtQL.@@AMEPARAM@@31jSr3DOtQL[/ame]

for just 40 dollars and you have a basic home security system for all your important doors. They are very loud and can easily be heard from anywhere in the house.

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  10. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Dang, good post Thesurefire. Thanks for the righteous suggestions.

11. TactiCool

TactiCool

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast LA.
  12. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    LOL! That's what my parents used to tell me. They never mentioned the results of a motorcycle accident, sports such as boxing and football, brain cancer, or dementia. As someone who has invested heavily in education, I'm all too aware that it can be taken away--by one good blow to the head!

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  13. TactiCool

TactiCool

Feb 1, 2012
    Southeast LA.

Well, hopefully all the blood and sweat that one puts into the education that I am referring to - will help to prevent that fateful blow from occurring. And maybe, just maybe, it will allow you to discover something about yourself that you would otherwise not have found.

14. thesurefire

thesurefire

Apr 16, 2006
    Colorado
    Education is key. You can learn almost anything you want for the price of an internet connection. It certainly wont hurt to spend an hour a day studying instead of watching american idol.

A few others I thought of:

Pens and paper - 10 dollars gets years of supply, and near endless uses. Make lists, entertain kids, keep a journal, draw maps, leave notes, write a story, keep from being bored, ect.

Gloves - 5 dollars to keep your hands from blistering and being cut. Useful for cleanup after pretty much every event.

Tea candles - 3 dollars for 200+ hours of light and heat.

Salt - 5 dollars for a big bag. Melts ice. Preserves meat. makes cold water colder. Lots of trade value.

Whistles - 2 dollars each, in a situation with a group with no cell phones and people out and about working, its a much better early warning system than trying than trying to shout.

A radio - for 15 dollars there just isn't an excuse not to have a basic one. Cell phone towers are easily overloaded, radio waves are much more resilient. Get one that uses AA batteries.

Surge protectors - This ones really only for those with expensive computers/TVs or other specialty equipment.

Walking around your area. Do you even know whats 3 blocks over, and 2 blocks down the road in every direction? Looking at a map doesn't cut it, go look. Are there drainage areas that will clog and could close roads if not cleaned? Are there big hills that pose flood threats or pockets of gang territory near you?

Walk around your house/apartment and map where the electrical box is, the water and gas shut off is, and if you need special tools to operate them, or if they're locked. Do it now and save yourself lots of frustration if you ever need to do it when it really counts.

Having a plan - all it takes is a few sheets of paper and talking to your family. Where will you meet in a house fire? is someone going to go get grandma? where will you go then? what if that location is not accessible?

Similarly, have a bug out list. Chemical spills happen. Fires happen. Floods happen and the list goes on, and if you need to leave you dont want to forget something important like the wife's diamonds, or the dogs vaccination records. In this list include any prescriptions you take. Your doctor and dentists name and numbers.

Rags or wound dressings, save your old cloths instead of throwing them away. In hard times you can always wear them again even if their are holes in them.

keep a 20 dollar bill in your car. Running out of gas sucks. Its even worse if you don't have your wallet.

I miss mitchshrader, he was the master of free and cheap preps.

15. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Truly. Maybe we should put "a good helmet" on this list.

16. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Agreed. Sony ICF-S10MK2 runs on 2AA, highly rated, $10 on Amazon. I think I own 4 of these now? One in each BOB/GHB.

17. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    Everyone probably has a radio....but not everyone has one that will pick up short wave additional freq.s. Get one that will pick up the additional freq.s.

18. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Can you recommend a $10 one?

19. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    Is this true?? Does it even kill viruses and bacterias or no? Where do you find it to buy?

Thanks

-Emt1581

20. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oct 17, 2002
    Penn's Woods
    +1000!!!

I have about half-dozen of them. I open the boxes, make sure they work, put them back after cleaning/lubing them and add a few boxes of 00 Buck and Slugs, a buttstock shell carrier and seal them back up. Oh I also throw in a hack saw blade for obvious reasons. AWESOME high value guns!

-Emt1581