close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ballistol!@!!

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by Prostatix, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Prostatix

Prostatix

Feb 22, 2008
    I dunno how many of you shooters have tried this stuff as lube, but I discovered it a year ago and am extatic about it. Best lube I have ever used. No I don't work for them or sell their product

Best things about this stuff??

-extremely low surface tension, will penetrate the smallest crook and cranny. (kind of "swarms")
    -a little bit goes a loooong way
    -smells good, but not strong or overpowering
    -safe on all plastics, leathers, and metals, can even be used to shine and protect fine wood stocks and grips.
    -is an organic molecule, but is non carcinogenic and non toxic to humans. Been approved by the FDA for use in food industry machinery.
    -will never evaporate
    -emulsifies in water, so if you get your weapon wet or sweaty, it still works as lube, prevents corrosion, and when your weapon dries, it does not, so it is still protecting and lubing your firearm.
    -dissoves powder residue and copper/lead fowling.
    -Been around for decades, in fact, was used in WWII.
    -Recently a cache of WWII rifles was found in an attic, (Garands) apparently untouched for 60 years in a humid southern climate, in a wooden chest. They had been lubed in 1945 with Ballistol, and not only had no corrosion occured, but the solvent was still visible, and when taken out to the range with nothing done to them, functioned flawlessly.

Anyhow, sorry to rant, but I really am impressed with this stuff. Plus anything that is non toxic is great in my book. Who knows how much splatter we get on our skin when we shoot from the products we lube with.

Good link... http://www.firehawktech.com/v/vspfiles/V4_Backup/b^index01.asp

2. ppcrusa

ppcrusa

Dec 13, 2002
    Ballistol is good stuff to a point. The stuff really does well cleaning a bore. As a lube, I walked away disappointed though. I'd rather use the Tetra for that as it seems to actually reduce wear and stay put.
    I've been using it with a Browning Buckmark and the gunk just peels off. After 200 rounds today the breech face and chamber were horrible.I took a piece of shop towel (the blue paper ones) with some ballistol on it and that baked on gunk just came right off. I also use it on other things, even in small DC fans and it does its job. I'm not real impressed with its corrosion resistance properties. Eezox has worked incredible for me on stopping rust/corrosion where other things have failed.
    Ballistol has some uses but it also has limits and believe me, I've tested the stuff on a lot of things in a lot of ways. I continue to test it. I have been testing a Ballistol/ Corrosion-X mixture and it has so far done okay on corrosion but still can't hold Eezox a candle.
    Try Ballistol on other things, not just your guns.

3. BOGE

BOGE Millennium Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Ballistol is a wonderful non-toxic all 'round CLP that does everything good & nothing great. It's wonderful on blackpowder fouling.

ppcrusa, a word to the wise: it's not good to mix unknown chemicals together unless you're a chemist & know what you're doing. People have died from this from toxic fumes and sometimes even explosions. :wavey:

4. RUT

RUT

Jan 30, 2002
    New Hampshire, USA
    >>smells good, but not strong or overpowering<<

You're kidding, right??

5. bagballa

bagballa Tow Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Coastal, SC
    THAT STUFF STINKS, not overpowering but just lingering funk, kinda like feet?

6. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Sep 11, 2009
    I understand that it is non-toxic. Why do they put a warning label on it warning you to avoid skin contact and to rinse your skin with water after contact?

7. 09crue

09crue

Jul 27, 2009
    i recently tried Ballistol and i must say i really like this stuff too..the smell is not bad like some claim,it smells like licorice IMO.definitely does not have a strong chemical odor.if you don't like the smell,it becomes completely odorless in less then an hour or so.it's very slick and slippery and does not harden or gum up plus it's non toxic..what i really find amazing about Ballistol,it was invented around 1904 and it still competes with todays modern cleaners,lubes and clp's..i've tried several others including Hoppes #9,Weapon Shield,M-Pro 7,Hoppes Elite,Gun Scrubber etc..Ballistol hold its own against them all.if you haven't tried Ballistol,give it a try i think you'll like it..

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  8. etravix

etravix

Aug 8, 2009
    Cosmic Slop
    I love it and if it's good enough for Hickok45 then it's good enough for me. LOL

9. 09crue

09crue

Jul 27, 2009
    agreed,he's been around guns for over 40yrs..he must know something by now :)

10. RUT

RUT

Jan 30, 2002
    New Hampshire, USA
    >>agreed,he's been around guns for over 40yrs..he must know something by now<<

Either that or he's lost his sense of smell. :supergrin:

11. JGDGlock

JGDGlock

Jan 14, 2011
    I've been using Ballistol and ONLY ballistol on my 19 and don't see a need for anything else. Let the barrel soak for a few, clean and go. After as few as 10-20 applications/cleanings you'll notice the barrel is as smooth as glass - and completely dry to the touch. It's like it fills the pores of the metal and bonds to it. I don't use any oil, just Ballistol wherever you would normally put oil or lube.

12. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Only thing I use anymore for mil-surps with corrosive primers. Mix it 1 to 9 with water for initial bore cleaning. Works on just about every material. Good stuff.

13. I use it to clean my guns, I spray it on my battery terminals as
    it is suppose to neutralize acid, which is why it is good to use
    on black powder weapons.
    It is not a cure all for everything, but I found this.

http://www.firehawktech.com/Ballistol/newuses.html

14. RUT

RUT

Jan 30, 2002
    New Hampshire, USA
    Boy, that's one cologne that wouldn't be popular with the ladies!! :supergrin:

15. Tuco Tom

Tuco Tom

Aug 1, 2005
    Idaho
    I bought a can of Ballistol and after one smell I gave it away.....

16. FLSlim

FLSlim

Apr 12, 2010
    FL W Coast
    I've used it for about a year and really like it. I really does leave the barrel with an extremely slick feel. I don't get the smell issue, but I guess all noses are different.

17. John43

John43

Sep 9, 2010
    Murrells Inlet SC
    I haven't seen it in the stores, where do you get it from?

18. shogun82

shogun82

Jan 21, 2011
    Paragould, AR
    I bought 6 big aerosol cans off of ebay for $40 shipped. Cheapest I've found. This stuff is amazing on black powder guns and makes all of my guns actions run smoother than before. Smells like licorice which isn't bad to me.