close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bailout Bag

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by steven07, May 10, 2013.

1. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Ammo Policies:

Bug Out in Car - All the ammo I can find space for AFTER water/food/fuel/shelter/FA

Get Home: All the ammo I can CARRY after Water/food/etc...

2. lavon_andy

lavon_andy

Feb 2, 2013
    Thats the reason I suggested a mora, it's $20-$30 for a decent one, leaving you $40-$50 extra over a ka-bar or similiar knife. If you're on a higher budget go with a better knife of course, just like I'd love to have a Katadyn filter but can't afford that + other crap for my bag so instead I'll get a life straw.

I've got a gerber multitool and a serrated ka-bar in my bag because I already had them both.

3. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
    There are some really great items listed here and I will defer to them for ideas as to items to carry and put in my .02 for a different idea that was posted here years ago and changed my thinking for the better.

The quote was roughly "What you have in your BOB may be all that you ever have again so make it your best."

Keeping that in mind I keep my best backpack, water filter, boots, hiking clothes, knife, pistol etc. in my bag. I bought a locking box to keep out the curious but not determined for the back of my Jeep and my wife's, and keep everything that I might need in there so that I can make a complete change into my best gear and take it on the ankle express if I have to.

4. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

Mar 1, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Provided there are indeed four pounds already in each bag, that leaves you a 6 pound survival kit...which is going to be pretty spartan.

I would include a good belt knife (a Mora is light and cheap), a bottle of water purification tablets, a canteen with a pouch and the steel cup it nests into, a US poncho, 100 feet of paracord, a small esbit stove with fuel tablets, a few lighters, matches, wet wipes, 50 feet of jute twine (cordage and tinder), a firesteel, a platypus collapsible water bottle, a life boat ration bar (I like Mainstay bars, personally), one of the emergency bivy sacks HeatSheets makes, a small bottle of 100% DEET bugspray, and a few packets of powdered gatorade...

This will be a very minimal kit and will only guarantee you about three days of survival, so plan accordingly.

5. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    +1 on all the Mora knife suggestions. It is probably the best knife you can buy at its price point and to be honest, it is under priced for its overall value. Although I am not suggesting have only one knife (two is one and one is none), if push came to shove and you only had one knife this would be fine. Although DS is a show, Cody Lundin has been all over the world with just a Mora and that's about all he carries in his desert classes. Dave Canterbury also has Mora knives on his website and sings its praises. Again, not suggesting it is the only knife you should ever have, but it is a VERY good knife and for the price you'd be hard pressed to find its equal. I have a Mora Clipper riding back up to my Gerber LMF II and too be honest, if I were processing food I'd use the Mora.

As I've mentioned, for those on a budget, a trip to the $ store is like a kid going to the candy store! As an example, rain ponchos are 2 for a buck. More than enough to get you through a 72hr scenario, maybe longer. Tea candles, which are great for getting a fire going with wet tinder (since it is sustained flame) are 16 for a buck. You can be band aids, triple antibiotic ointment, hydorcortizone creame, cold packs, aspirin, diarrhea pills, witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide etc all for a buck each. Not to mention other stuff like a can opener, twizzers, compact mirror (for first aid kit), hand sanitizer etc.

Harbor Freight and tools is a favorite of mine. Yeah I know...Chinese made stuff yada yada. I'm all for buying American trust me. But lets be honest, a lot of things from American companies are made in China. Some magnesium bar firestarters are that way. So it often comes down to a choice, pay $3 or less for a magbar at HF or pay $8 at a camping store or Wallyworld for probably about the same thing. And they work, I used a HF magbar just last night. I was talking to a guy that only recommends Doan bars. I asked him what the Doan bar (for nearly $10) will do that the HF bar (for under $3) won't do. He still hasn't answered. If anyone knows I'd really like to hear. Does it shave easier? Make different shavings? Last longer? Light hotter or easier? I've just never had a problem with a HF bar. So to me, why pay double or triple for essentially the same product?

And as I mentioned, Amazon and Ebay can also be a friend when it comes to getting a deal. Same with the wholesale clubs. As an example, I have a Maglight XL50. It's a good LED light between $20 and $30. But so is the 7W 300 lumen Sipik I got off Ebay for $7. And I've had the Sipik longer (and several clones) and have never had an issue with it. So again, here's the choice; spend $30 or $7 for essentially the same thing. Actually the Sipik is better than the XL in that instead of 3xAAA I'm using a single AA and it is smaller and lighter. I could buy 4 for the price of a single XL. Again, two is one and one is none!

Space blankets can be picked up for around a buck each or even less. Too me this is a must have item in the BOB/GHB/EDC as hyper/hypothermia is the number one killer. And a good thick 55gal drum liner is cheap and useful. How expensive is it to pick up a few straws next time you're zipping through a fast food place to toss into the pack?

My point is that an excellent pack can be built inexpensively that isn't also cheap. Go inexpensive on stuff that you don't have to go expensive on which leaves you $ for that expensive stuff. The most expensive thing in my Maxpedition Lunada (besides the pack itself...which I still got on Ebay at a GREAT price) is the Gerber LMF II...which I still got at a great price of $63.

6. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

I bring some cash, but not 5K.

That seems.....excessive.

7. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    On the 2 is 1 and 1 is none mantra.. Ok, it sounds catchy and its anchored around the idea that some threats warrant more than one form of mitigation (a back up). Its not something to be taken literally since 1 is 1 for as long as you have the 1 which may be more than enough. Mantras are typically condition motivators and not literal proclamations. The hypocrisy is that this manta comes from the same source as "army of one". LOL !

8. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Regarding cheap vs the best:

I always say it is better to have ANYTHING NOW, in case you need it, thqan to NOT HAVE ANYTHING because you were saving up for the best. Gear is an infinite hole. There is no limit to what you can spend. The more you research the best, you'll continue to find better and better things, until a little get home kit sudden;y is $800 - so you can't afford it.

Put the list together, and get the essentials IMMEDIATELY. Then,upgrade as $ permits. You don't discard the old, they move to two is one. If you upgrade again, then you are in three is for me land (Three is two, two is one...).

You have a pair and a spare you can loan out to some poor unprepared fool.

I have often made a trip tyhrough the dollar store to kill time and could easily get:
    cheap multi-knife
    lighter
    aluminum water bottle or bottled water
    small first aid kit or bandages
    cheap LED light
    small bag
    poncho
    twines
    Duct tape

That would do a lot more for you than being half way saved up for that awesone Cold Steel knife...and not sure whether or not to go with MSR.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  9. JackMac

JackMac

Mar 13, 2011
    TX
    Guns and ammo. If you need anything else, shoot somebody and take their stuff. Dog eat dog is what it will turn out to be at the end of the day. Survival of the fittest. Sorry to be so darn blunt about it.

10. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Hope that works out for you.

11. Stupid

Stupid

Oct 26, 2005
    Excessive as how? At least you need enough to buy a plane ticket. At the time of crisis, they wouldn't be on sale.

12. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Good luck with that.'08.

13. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

Dec 29, 2006
    Texas
    Need to lose some ammo.

9mm is about 2.5lbs/100 x 3(several hundred rounds) = 7.5 lbs in ammo.

G17 loaded = 2lbs.

You have between 9 and 10lbs of guns/ammo in your bag. There's no way you can make your desired weight.

The gear suggestions in this thread are solid.

14. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

Dec 29, 2006
    Texas
    I think you live in the wrong state to have that attitude.

Sure not gonna live long with it if SHTF.

15. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

So, you're going to shoot your way out of a traffic jam during a hurricane evacuation or ice storm with no power/massive loss of power/grid failure? Let me know how well that works.

16. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)

If getting to, and on a plane is your "escape" plan, then so be it.

Personally, I can't afford to have 5K rolling around in my BOB. And I'd be entirely too worried about someone stealing it, to use that method.

Not to mention, there are entirely too many scenarios I can envision the use of my BOB that simply getting to a airplane and flying out wouldn't be a feasible choice.

Perhaps your financial means are such that you can just fly across the country and wait out any issue. Mine, and I'm going to guess the majority of this forum, are not.

17. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    I don't like your chances....

You can't eat guns and ammo, nor can you drink them. So it seems your plan is to kill someone that does have food/water/supplies/etc due to your lack of preparedness. I see some flaws in your plan though; anyone that did have the foresight to prepare ahead of time is also probably prepared to defend it as well. Secondly, you're one sick dude if you're preparedness plan resolves around murdering others for your lack of foresight. And sick dudes usually don't last that long.

18. Akita

Akita gone

Jul 22, 2002
    Seems we have a Troll that don't know Jack.

19. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I wouldn't kill anyone for their food or water.

But I would kill a bandit and eat them.