close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Bad weekend - gtoodbye to my best friend

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by scowan007, Aug 16, 2004.

1. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Jun 17, 2002
    45.8 N, 108.5 W
    Claus finally let me know it was time to go. 11 1/2 year old Rottweiler that was the sweetest dog in the world. The mast cell tumors all over his skin apparently finally invaded his organs. He couldn't stand, eat, or control his bladder and that all happened in the space of a week.

This wasn't a dog I got as a pup. I had his mom (lost her 2 years ago this october to cancer), and I was there when he was born! Mom didn't lactate for the first week, so i had to play mommy and tube feed the pups every couple hours for a week. To say we bonded would be an understatement. By the way, that was finals week. I did not do well.

I was hoping he would stick around to me his new lil' buddy (see the Boerboel thread), but it was not to be. It would have been selfish of me to try to keep him going any longer.

I was talking to a neighbor and telling her I might have to take him to the vet to be put down, and she said she had heard of a much better way. A friend of hers had a mobile vet come to the house. She got the number for me, and I talked to the vet. Very nice and compassionate lady. Sunday, she and her tech came over and took care of things as I fed Claus little pieces of steak. He really wanted them, but could only chew on then a little and spit them out.

When they were done, a couple guys came and picked Claus up for cremation. In a couple weeks I'll get a small wooden box of his ashes, with his name, an inscription, his paw print and a lock of hair sealed in glass on top.

I know I did the right thing, but I'm a mess right now. I keep catching myself looking for him in his lounging spots.

Here's a pic:

2. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

Mar 8, 2002
    Dallas, TX
  3. joker1

joker1

Jul 5, 2004
    verona, ky
    The right thing can be very difficult. Sleep well. Your final act for Claus was the kindest. I'm sorry for your pain. (He's beautiful.)

4. Petra

Petra

Oct 24, 2002
    Texas
    I'm so sorry for your loss. He'll be waiting for you when it's your turn to cross the rainbow bridge. Not the sick old guy that you saw today, but the strong healthy pup that you remember.

Mark

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I am crying for you ;1

I was hoping Claus would get to met your new puppy too. He still will though.

Hang in there. It is hard. I put my Alf down about a year and a half ago. I had him for over 19 years... I still miss him too. I guess I always will.

6. I'm sorry for your loss.

We had to help our last two old dogs along these past few months.

The first was my 13 year old Aussie who was very afraid of the vets. So our vet, who is a personal friend, stopped by one evening on her way home from work and we all sat down on the front lawn and helped him along. He is now out in the pasture resting comfortably.

Our 16 year old mutt loved to ride in the car and loved to visit the vets, so I took her into the office for her last goodbyes two weeks ago. She came home in a nice cherry box.

God bless.

7. Coltman2003

Coltman2003

Feb 26, 2003
    England
    Scowan007 I feel sorry for you, I know how painful it is when we have to say goodbye to our pets. The pain will eventually pass, and you'll be able to look back with fond memories.

You obviously loved him a lot to release him from his suffering.

8. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Apr 9, 2002
    The Peach State!!
    Oh my hell Scowan.......

I am sitting here with tears running down my face. As you know I had to make the same choice exactly 5 weeks ago today in fact. I had to make that choice in the span of 5 minutes because Josh was not going to come back as his old self.......

There is something I will post when I get back home (I am at work right now) and I plan to print it up and put it in Josh's shadow box I am going to make.......

Just know what you did was the right, humane thing to do. What a life that old boy had with you, but what a hole his absence is going to leave in your soul and in your heart.

God Bless you Scowan......I think the good Lord above got one heck of a dog when he took Claus......my heart is really hurting for you my friend......

9. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Apr 9, 2002
    The Peach State!!
    here you go Scowan and everyone else who has lost a pet buddy.......

.......grieve not,
    nor speak of me with tears,
    But laugh and talk of me
    as if I were beside you.......
    I loved you so--
    'twas Heaven here with you.

----------------Isla Paschal Richardson

10. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Sep 25, 2001
    Hang in there Scowan007. Sounds like you and Claus had a lot of good times together.

RIP Claus. ;c

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    That's great Peach!

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Jun 17, 2002
    45.8 N, 108.5 W
    Thanks peach!!

And thanks to everyone else, as well!!!

Its nice to know you're not alone when you feel like you are.

13. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Sep 25, 2001
    So is the new boerboel puppy still coming? :)

seriously, claus was lucky to have you. And you were lucky to have him.

14. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Jun 17, 2002
    45.8 N, 108.5 W
    mhambi,

Thanks for the kind words.
    Yup- Getting the boerboel end of the month. Not the one I was initially getting, that deal fell through.

here's a pic of Iggy at 5 weeks.

15. nyredneck

nyredneck كا&

Oct 22, 2002
    N43 07.671 W75 17.747
    Sorry to hear that scowan! He'll meet you on the rainbow bridge!!:)

16. c-mama

c-mama Moderator Moderator

Jan 15, 2004
    Tangled in my yarn...
    scowan, sorry to hear about your loss. Hang in there. As mhambi said, you two were lucky to have each other.

:)

17. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

Feb 21, 2003
    Nolensville, TN
    Sorry to hear about your dog, a friend at work just had to do the same thing on Monday. Hard thing to do, but almost always for the best.

18. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

May 20, 2001
    Tactlessville
    what a beautiful pup.

its horrible when you have to make that decision, but its the best thing to do.

there is a special place in Heaven for good puppies, and you'll see him again someday.

19. OSSI

OSSI Litter Kitty CLM

Mar 17, 2004
    Tasmania, Australia
    You have done the right thing, as hard as it is. It is better then let them suffer.