Bad experience at LGS!

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by 23LS1, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Well I went in to a local army/navy store that also sell firearms. Went in with a friend and she had a lot of questions for the owner and he was super nice and helpful. Then I asked about the AR's he had. I check out the Colt and DPMS. I told him I like the Colt a lot. I told him I bought a Bushmaster yesterday. He asked where I bought it. I told him Wal Mart and I said I think I did ok with price. Without asking how much I paid, he said no you got screwed. He said Walmart only gets refurbished AR's. I've done some research and don't think that's true. He also wouldn't sell me any 223 ammo and said it for his customers and that I need to support small business. I won't be going back.

His AR's were 400 or 500 more than most LGS around. Would like your take on this and the part about them being refurbished. Thank you for your input.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    .45 Caliber Muzzle Loader Experienced Help Please The Okie Corral Tuesday at 7:38 PM
    EFK spring-inside-spring experience General Glocking Sunday at 5:06 PM
    `UFC Fighters Experience Marine Corps Martial Arts` The Okie Corral Aug 18, 2015
    Anyone have any experience with Wireless Game Cameras? The Okie Corral Aug 12, 2015
    Aliengear holsters; Anyone have any experience dealing with these people? Holsters & Related Items Aug 11, 2015

3. Regardless of the product, I think "refurbished" has to be disclosed.

4. I think it's a ****** thing of him to say, and you're right on for not shopping there. If an item is refurbished, I'm under the assumption that due to some law/lawsuit/whatever, they have to disclose that it's refurbished, but that's just a guess.

But with his high prices, maybe it's good that he didn't sell you any ammo, now you can find some at a good price.

5. I really hate those kinds of gun store owners/employees.

I had a guy tell me I could only buy ammo if I bought a gun. A month later I walked in and ask the same guy if I could buy a box of 38spl and he didnt even blink a eye and sold it to me.

I was like...WTF? Did the store policy change or was he just being a jerk the last time???

#4 mixflip, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  6. Thanks guys, I have looked and researched and don't find any sign of a refurb. Also took it down to my buddy's and he has a BM and two M&P 15's. He also said dude is full of crap. Picked up some 223 & 5.56 today and going to go test it out tomorrow. Can't wait to put some rounds thru it and get it dialed in.

7. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy
    CLM

Hey, he's a small business owner, competing with a retail giant. What do you really expect?
    I'd be pissed, too, if I were selling a Accord, and some guy walks into my store and brags about, "Hey, I bought a Camry yesterday, and I made out good, too".:supergrin:

8. The guy is either misinformed or a liar. If your goal is to save money I'm sure you did well. Remember that he is a salesman and his goal is ultimately to sell you his weapons.

9. I know a guy who currently owns a gun store. Since ammo is so hard to get he is trying to keep back a small amount so people who buy a gun can get some ammo to go with it. Just a thought, it may not apply in your case.

10. I wouldn't pay an extra $500 to anyone, but then I wouldn't be in his business telling the guy how badly I beat his price either.

really don't blame him for being a little miffed.

11. I work for the largest furniture retailer in the midwest (over $900m in annual sales). Our competition routinely tells potential customers that we sell factory seconds and closeouts. A complete lie. We're big enough (as is Walmart) that we don't have to rely on seconds or discontinued items to draw customers.

12. I wouldn't have mentioned I bought one elsewhere. What reaction would you expect from him in that situation?

13. Wal Mart does not sell refurbished AR’s. That guy’s a tool. Everybody knows small businesses can’t compete with big box stores, price wise. It’s not necessary for him to lie about it.

14. I would respectfully keep my mouth shut. No need for him to know about that. It just won't end good.

You said he was helpful and friendly to your friend. I would have kept it that way.

15. what a ass clown. wal mart guns are just as new as his.

16. MrMurphy

MrMurphy *********
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

The guy is full of crap.

17. The gunshop owner is a crooked liar. I've heard all sorts of tales about Wal-Mart guns. Fact is, WM can afford to buy guns by the truckload to distribute to their stores, while Mom and Pop gunshops can only afford to buy 2 or 3 of each model they carry. When you buy in bulk, you get first dibs and a lower price. I bought a Colt LE6920 at WM and one a couple months ago from a LGS. Same difference, only the WM gun was bought middle of last year, so it had the carry handle and 2 20rd steel mags, where as in '13 Colt sells them now with no carry handle, MBUS, and one PMAG. I don't think I'd set foot in the OPs LGS again.

18. Seems like a typical LGS owner/employee

19. OrangeJoe

OrangeJoe Machetes & Guns

I'm sure the business owner is now on smallbusinesstalk posting about the non customer that cut in while he was being helpful and dropped that pearl of wisdom.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

20. With a attitude like that he must not want your business

21. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Of course when they lose their asses off, it's not their faults...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire