Glock Talk banner

Backup Weapon for CCW

11K views 35 replies 31 participants last post by  SCmasterblaster 
#1 ·
I have a buddy who carries a Glock 19 as his primary ccw weapon and (I can't remember the name of the other gun) a subcompact 9mm on his ankle on occasion, he doesn't do it all the time though.

I currently have only a Glock 23 Gen4 and am contemplating getting a Glock 27 Gen4 and wearing it on my ankle as well.

Does anyone else carry two guns? I've seen a lot of the veteran youtube gun community channels talk about this subject and it seems some people do in fact carry a backup.

What are you thoughts and opinions for carrying a backup ccw weapon? Depending on what state you live in, are you allowed legally to carry more than one weapon/handgun concealed? etc etc etc.

#2 ·
Most states do not have a law regarding the number of guns you can carry. I know NM sets it at one concealed gun. Personally I thinking carry a BUG is a great idea. You never know what may go wrong with your primary. And having 2 guns that can accept the same mags (assuming you use at least a 13 rd G23 mag) you have a great amount of firepower. If I were you I'd have flush mags in each and all back up mags would be G22 15 rd mags.

#3 ·
I have carried firearms like that on occasion and it is smart to carry the same caliber. I know a trooper who carries two 27...one on each ankle and then his primary weapon. In reality most people will never use the back ups ever.

#4 ·
My normal routine is a Glock 22, 23 or Colt Gov't on my waist, backed up by a Glock 27 on my ankle if I am wearing long pants.

Many folks subscribe to back up guns, but most usually in the form of a .22, .32, .380 or the like. My particular thought on this subject is that if your primary gun goes down for whatever reason, your back up gun just became your primary gun. So.....if I wouldn't carry that .22, .32. 380 et al as a primary, why rely on it as back up? Just food for thought..

#8 ·
In my state you can only legally carry 3 specific guns. All at once or one at a time doesn't matter.

I generally carry a G23 gen 3, but sometimes a .38 snubbie. In theory the .38 could be a BUG to the .40, but I have always carried a reload instead.

#9 ·
Not my cup of tea at all. On duty, yes I will have a back up gun. As a citizen with a concealed carry I see no reason to carry a back up gun. I would rather just carry an extra mag or two.
I ccw with 2 extra mags and have been doing so since I got my CHL. But I have to agree with a few other posts that it would be a good idea to have a backup if for whatever reason my primary weapon failed to perform.

#12 ·
I carry a G23 Gen 4 in a TT Gunleather IWB holster with a G27 Gen 4 as BUG either in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster or on my ankle in a Desantis Die Hard.

I don't always carry a BUG but if I go into Raleigh or Durham or I'm on the road I will.

#13 ·
Not for me. Personally, I think it tends to be a sign people are focusing way too much on something that is only a small part of personal security (CCW).

But, if it makes you more comfortable go for it, who am I to tell you what to carry. I already have too much crap on my belt/pockets. (Leatherman/light/2 pagers/phone/wallet/Glock 19) I usually don't even carry a spare mag. :wavey:

#17 ·
I have a buddy who carries a Glock 19 as his primary ccw weapon and (I can't remember the name of the other gun) a subcompact 9mm on his ankle on occasion, he doesn't do it all the time though.

I currently have only a Glock 23 Gen4 and am contemplating getting a Glock 27 Gen4 and wearing it on my ankle as well.

Does anyone else carry two guns? I've seen a lot of the veteran youtube gun community channels talk about this subject and it seems some people do in fact carry a backup.

What are you thoughts and opinions for carrying a backup ccw weapon? Depending on what state you live in, are you allowed legally to carry more than one weapon/handgun concealed? etc etc etc.
I carry a .38spl

#18 ·
On duty I have a .357 on my ankle. Off duty an extra mag, a 1 cell 120 lumen light in my pocket & a zip tie cuff in my badge wallet just in case. Wife has her CCW, 3 speed load strips for her J frame or an extra mag depending on which she carries & a small flashlight.

#20 ·
'mark1616' I should mention the "three gun limit" is the policy of some California counties, not a state limit written as law. I've had as many as six guns on my permit.

I add a J-frame in an ankle holster when driving long distances. It's less about having a backup and more about having a gun I can reach easily while seated.

#22 ·
i hate to carry 1 gun let alone what some you guys carry,i swear some think they are some urban commandos,i do mean this to the poster but really isnt 1 gun enough?Are you extremley trained in the 1st gun?Trained to have defensive and offensive skills?I see guys post pics of carrying 2 guns,4 or 5 mags,2 or 3 knives,some pepper spray,baton plus all there keys,lighters,cigs,cell phones,Come on enough is enough!!

#23 ·
Most states do not have a law regarding the number of guns you can carry. I know NM sets it at one concealed gun. Personally I thinking carry a BUG is a great idea. You never know what may go wrong with your primary.
:agree:
Anything mechanical can and will malfunction or break.
Dano :harley:

#24 · (Edited)
i hate to carry 1 gun let alone what some you guys carry,i swear some think they are some urban commandos,i do mean this to the poster but really isnt 1 gun enough?Are you extremley trained in the 1st gun?Trained to have defensive and offensive skills?I see guys post pics of carrying 2 guns,4 or 5 mags,2 or 3 knives,some pepper spray,baton plus all there keys,lighters,cigs,cell phones,Come on enough is enough!!
One gun isn't enough, especially in a situation when it fails to function, I mean, what am I going to do, throw my gun at the guy and while he is distracted charge him? As for being trained, I went through a Law Enforcement academy recently and had extensive training on the Glock 17; my carry gun is the Glock 23 Gen4 w/ a TLR-1s and 2 spare G23 mags, not much difference except for caliber, magazine capacity, and recoil. I go to the range AT LEAST 4 times a month. I was also trained in Defensive Tactics. This is going to sound funny, but I carry a 2foot strand of 550 paracord as a DEFENSE weapon (no I don't use it to strangle someone). I also carry a Gerber Icon Tanto folder as well.

Depending on where I am going and so forth, I will take with me a 21" ASP baton and a Mark IV can of Sabre Red 10% OC Spray (I am certified in both).

Now, some people may think THAT is excessive. Some people might think that sounds to be just enough, and others will argue that it isn't enough.

(Check out HellZZArmy's EDC videos on youtube. the man lives in Hawaii and doesn't travel without at least one gun and two knives minimum along with a comtech stinger)

Do I think I am an urban commando? No. I am just a citizen who goes about his life everyday while being prepared both physically, mentally, and equipped.

Call me paranoid or crazy but it doesn't hurt to take the extra precaution and steps to be safe.

#26 ·
Yeah, I get it. Loaded extra mags are heavy so you can always hit your attacker with one if your primary weapon is no longer an option for whatever reason.
Yeah and I would love to have an AR15 and a Mini-14 on me and a .50 cal machine gun turret on top of my car, but there is a point where it's just too much. It's JUST MY OPINION, but carrying two guns as a civilian is too much. Now you have not one, but two (or maybe more?) guns that you need to keep in control if you have to use other force like fists. How are you going to protect someone from taking the gun on your hip, the knife in your pocket, and the revolver on your ankle all at the same time? Are you just going to shoot them since you're worried they will take one of your many weapons? That probably won't hold up in a court of law in front of your peers. Good luck trying to convince a jury that carrying multiple pistols on you every day is a reasonable idea.

Again, just my opinion. What if your backup gun also fails? What if the backup to the backup fails? When do you draw the line? I would rather be somewhat comfortable then to have a pistol on my belt, a pistol strapped to my ankle, and a bunch of other weapons in my pockets or on my belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.