close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Backup carry with new vest?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ALL GLOCK, May 24, 2013.

1. ALL GLOCK

ALL GLOCK 17 year member Millennium Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Southeast Pa.
    How are you guys carrying your backup with the "uniform shirt style" vest? I dont want to ankle carry. :shocked:

Here is a picture of the type vest I am talking about:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  2. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    I've never seen an effective way to do it with the external uniform vest carrier, but someone may have come up with a method.

It is one of the reasons we got away from those carriers back in the 90's.

3. ALL GLOCK

ALL GLOCK 17 year member Millennium Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Southeast Pa.
    Glock 27.

4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Neck holster between the vest and duty shirt.

5. IrishSheepdog54

IrishSheepdog54

Dec 11, 2011
    Chicago
    Don't put it between the vest and your body. It will seriously mess you up if you get shot.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Just a thought... but then again... getting shot would suck pretty much as is.

7. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    I ended up going with an off side cargo pocket holster from Desantis. Its not perfect, but it carries well, and doesn't bother me like carrying between my vest and torso did.

8. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    I think the air gap between the vest and you around the outline of the gun would make the vest subject to penetration if shot there, right? Party of why it works is that it's backed by flesh to help absorb the energy?

Also falling on it, having the pistol against your ribs, the edge could break ribs, right?

Don't like gun inside vest idea

Randy

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. My chief sometimes wears one as do a few officers, I don't like them, just uncomfortable to me.....what they do is carry a beretta .380, not sure if its the tomcat or another model, in the cargo pocket of our pants...not if you don't wear cargo pants, that's obviously a problem...maybe a snubbie of some kind in your off hand pants pocket?

10. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    I always thought if I bought one of those that I'd get lower pockets too, on the outside, and slide it in there..

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've always gone with the offside pants pocket carry from day one for backups and never did it any other way.

12. Maybe the thought of having a pocket sewn on the inside/front of the carrier behind one of the existing shirt pockets, so the weapon/pocket would ride between the carrier and the vest panel. Or having the carrier opened along the button line, secured with velcro or zipper and carrying your BUG inside the carrier. It appears your options are limited.

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  13. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    I don't see how that would hinder me from continuing to carry my 642 in my left, front pants pocket.

14. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3 SDMF

Nov 19, 2005
    Chicago/North Burbs
    I had a fabric holster sewn on the inside weak hand side for a j frame. Essentially just reach through the arm hole and grab it. I'm not at home but I can post a pic later if you would find it helpful. If you can't find someone local, here is a link to the place that did mine;
    http://www.jguniforms.com/index.html

15. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    I can attest to the quality of the carriers that come out of JG. I'm a VERY happy customer, and that includes an unexpected week delay in delivery. They'll do pockets and interior stash pockets and all kinds of stuff for you. I can't imagine Ajon's suggestion would be difficult for them to work out. Top notch product.

16. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Jul 26, 2007
    The interwebs
    Do I just take my vest to them and they'll measure it all out to fit my panels?

What was the cost of your carrier from them?

17. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    If you're in the Chicagoland area, you can stop by without any issues. If not, I think they'll tell you how to trace your panels onto butcher paper and send them that so they can make your carrier. I got some MOLLE webbing, a slash pocket on the outside, 2 internal pockets and a pocket for my mic pack and I think it was still under $150. Tip: do NOT put the mic pack up on your shoulder if you ever want to deploy a long gun comfortably.

PM and I'll shoot a couple pics if you want to see it.

18. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    Man I would love to have one of those. To be able to take it off for 20 minutes at the station during the summer heat in the SE would be a blessing.

19. BL33D 4 M3

BL33D 4 M3 SDMF

Nov 19, 2005
    Chicago/North Burbs
    If you're in the Chicago Metro area, get 10 or more of your co-workers to commit and they'll come to you. We did a weak hand cross draw Taser holster on the front exterior, cell phone pockets, OC, whatever you want. Its good stuff.

I recall paying about $130.

Last edited: May 26, 2013