close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Backpacking / Bikepacking / Kayakpacking... Saw or chop or baton?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Lindenwood, Mar 23, 2012.

1. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Jan 27, 2006
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I hate to tell you, but most wilderness areas in the Southwest have long banned open fires. No responsible backpacker (and by that I mean someone who goes deep into the back-country regularly, bot a car camper) would build a camp fire if his/her life depended on it. It is just not ethical in this day and age.

There are plenty of high-tech stoves to be bought everywhere.

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    A single stick of dynamite will create fire and splinter wood, two will feed you all the fish you can eat in a month.

3. auto-5

auto-5

Nov 13, 2011
    I don’t start a fire unless I am wet and cold hiking. Some people along the AT fire some don’t if you do you need to be careful with it. Have a ring, a way to put it out, and so on. I don’t want a fire going that freaking long so I don’t really worry about the big stuff.

My rule of thumb is if you can’t break it it probably isn’t going to burn well. So I don’t saw or cut I break. Get enough to burn no more than an hour or two at the most. Smaller is better.