close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Back pack long gun

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by concretefuzzynuts, Mar 29, 2012.

1. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    I've seen these and variations of them.

http://slickguns.com/product/henry-...mi-auto-rifle-22lr-165-8rds-203-free-shipping

A nice back pack gun. Unless bear defense is in mind. Anyone know of one in a larger caliber?

In Alaska, I carried a Ruger Black Hawk .44 mag as a side arm for camping. I would camp along the Copper River, never had to use it but saw plenty of bear. Also camped miles upstream along the Swanson River and saw soooo much wildlife. Early 80's... those were the days!

2. fox3091

fox3091

Nov 22, 2011
    Only thing I can think of is a Wild West Guns Guide Gun.

I'll edit this if I think of other options

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. tgmr05

tgmr05

Apr 27, 2008
    Never had much luck with the ar7 type. The marlin papoose is much better, and the recent 10/22 takedown might be good, too, though a pound and some change heavier.

Not many factory larger caliber options. You can break down contender/encore rifles easily, though, only downside is single shot. Wild west is an option, otherwise custom is probably the best bet. The winchester defender 1300 has become extremely popular in Alaska, too.....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. mr.scott

mr.scott

Oct 26, 2008
    For in the backpack, a pistol grip shotgun would be good if you need some heavy hitting. Or the keltec sub2000.

5. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Agreed. Outside semicustom, an AK with stock folded, an AR taken down into the upper and lower seperated, or a 12ga with folding stock are the only real options I can think of.

The AR-7 has always been craptacular regardless of manufacturer, the new Ruger 10/22 Takedown would do well for a plinker since the Papoose went to the happy hunting grounds.

6. concretefuzzynuts

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    How bout this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yRDbnrxmVc&feature=player_embedded"]New Proto Type Texas Flashlight handy to have to walk the dog or take care of any little problem that might come up - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  7. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

Jan 3, 2006
    Humble, TX
  8. BMH

BMH Lifetime Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Alaska
  9. mingaa

mingaa

Dec 3, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    The Mossberg "Just in Case" a 500 pistol grip in a tubular carry case with some extras is an option (or any short shot pistol grip) - add slugs and / or big buck and you'll have pretty serious fire power. Take a sub 2000 in 40 S&W as well for smaller duty and keep the magnum on your hip!

10. L Pete

L Pete

Mar 4, 2011
    !2 ga. Single shot. Cut barrel to 18" to 20". Breaks down into two pieces, and shoots light birdshot to slugs. It's good for just about anything one might encounter in the wild.

11. snewsoG22

snewsoG22 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sep 21, 2009
    show me state
    You might be interested in this!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAnbDvLIAac"]Lost Arts Part 5: The Little .410 Shotgun that Could - YouTube[/ame]

12. nelsone

nelsone rank amateur

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaverton Oregon
    Another vote for the Marlin Papoose here.

I messed with the feed ramp on my Henry AR-7 and now it feeds reliably with every kind of cheap ammo, but it's still not as fun as the Marlin.

Then again, the Henry is half the weight of the Marlin at 2 lbs. vs. 4.

13. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona
    I like my Savage 24C for that role, .22 LR rifle over 20 gauge shotgun. A 20 gauge slug is big enough for anything in the lower 48 states (or is that the lower 55 states?). It is very light weight (5.5 lb) and is a great "anything" gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. The_Gun_Guru

The_Gun_Guru Ban Democrats!!

+1

KT Sub2K in 9mm or .40S&W would be adequate!

What about a Romanian Mini Draco? AK power in a pistol!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a thought.

TGG

15. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Mar 22, 2006
    Mid TN
    All of these are good take-down rifles: Marlin Papoose, Marlin M38m carbine, Browning .22 auto, Remington M121 or M241, Savage M99 takedown model (.250, .243, 300Savage, .308, etc), Remington M14 and M141 centerfire rifles. All of these are repeating rifles. I know there are others.

16. concretefuzzynuts

Dec 27, 2011
    PNW
    Now that's what I'm talking 'bout! Nice.:supergrin:

17. jedi573

jedi573

May 31, 2006
    Midwest
    When someone says backpacking gun, I figure it can mean either a gun that fits in a backpack, or a gun you take with you when you're going backpack/hiking/camping.

I have a Marlin 1895 "Guide Gun" that I like for this role. It's a lever-action .45-70, stainless with an 18.5" barrel. Great little hiking gun. Depending on where I'm going, options like 325-grain Hornady "Flex Tip," 375-grain Winchester bonded HP, or 405-grain SJLN (semi-jacketed lead nose) are good factory options.

Lightweight, easy and agile to carry and use, and easy to put four shots inside an inch or two at fifty yards.

Something to consider. :)

Andy