Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Baby or AK47(BOG Informal Survey)

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by maskytrading, Jan 28, 2007.

1. maskytrading

Dec 20, 2006
    Which carbine would you prefer or is better suited for?
    1.Home defense
    2.Street/Road Rage
    3.Urban shootouts (as in bank robbery exit situations)
    4.Sierra Madre/Cordillera/Apo (NPA/ASGsituations

1.AK47, it looks menacing and I don't have my baby yet
    2.the same as no. 1
    3.the same as no. 2
    4.the same as no. 3

Why? Because nos. 1, 2 and 3 are close encounters so the accuracy factor does not come into play yet.
    I am not sure with no.4 if accuracy is the more dominant factor than dependability during rainy season which is app. 9 months a year.

Just wondering: Aren't carbines supposed to be used for close encounters meaning from 50 to 150 yards or thereabouts. Or to put it another way, when you are assaulting somebody, it means you are all over him, my point exactly is I would like my carbine to be 99.995 dependable...if you miss, press trigger again and again and again and you might get lucky...problem is the other side is pressing his trigger,too...what if he's more accurate...NAW!!! how can he aim correctly if my .30 caliber 123 grainers are raining on him...Just like Morales is the more accurate boxer but Manny P.s' machineguns him with blows from all over, all Morales' does is either cover or lies down afterwards.
  2. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

No. 4

AK-47 hands down. I was issued one for more than a year. The gun just keeps on shooting no matter how dirty it gets. Even with corrosive and very dirty chinese ammo. Mud all over it and even full of gritty mt. pinatubo sand. All the M16s are already having problems while the M14s and AK-47's keeps on singing even after 400 + rounds without cleaning, so much banging and drops and 3 very long days. A comrade armed with M16 fell and broke the butt stock of his M16. Since the M16's recoil spring is located in the butt stock, the gun is immdeiately inoperable. I have seen so many M16's with damaged butt stock held together only by some adhesive (epoxy??). Another plus is the AK47' heavy ammo. Unlike the light 5.56mm that gets easily deflected by brush.

The only minus is the long magazine which is really a bother when shooting in prone position or if you have to shoot over a canopy. It gives the shooter a higher profile. And you cant carry more than six mags in a web gear without seriously affecting your mobility.

Ammo is not a major problem anymore unlike the past years. You can get the AK2000 whichn= is chambered for 5.56mm or the original 7.62mm. If this deal Im working right now pushes thru, Im gonna get an AK2000 this year.

During rainy season given that I am armed with an AK47, Im more concerned of the ammo, rather than the gun. Rain and cold weather tends to affect accuracy and ignition. Even if the ammo shoots, you'll notice that you'll get a much lighter recoil most of the time. I've seen and heard many cases of plugged barrels because their ammo turned squib.

In a jungle set-up, you'll never get me to pick up an M4 carbine unless absolutely necessary.

My order of preferrence

1. AK-47
    2. M14
    3. Standard length M16
    4. Short barreled M16 derivative

3. maskytrading

Dec 20, 2006
    Does WSC have AK2000s in stock right now? I think that an AK system weapon mated with 5.56 Nato is an optimal combination like the AK101, but will this solve the accuracy question? I hope so...Just imagine...everytime you squeeze--bang...shoot up to 300-400yards and carry more ammo!!
  4. maskytrading

Dec 20, 2006

Yes, bullet deflection is a reality in heavy brush/ undergrowth(cogon/talahib, shruberries etc)fire-fight situations...Light and very fast bullets are angled more than heavier and slower ones if they happen to hit "brush". +1 Point again for AK47.
  5. revo

Apr 27, 2003
    Here's how I see this.

1) Home Defense - Neither. Get a pump shotgun and use buckshot. And
    call LE on your cell phone while bringing your
    family to a safe room.

2)Street/Road Rage - Neither. Drive away from the fight and call Law
    Enforcement. You are not trained. You will
    only create a bigger mess. Call the highway
    patrol on your cell phone and give their license

3) Urban Shootouts - Neither. Run away from the shootout. Again, you
    are not trained and you have no MOUT experience.
    You will panic and get others killed.

4) Against the NPA in a jungle - If you see NPA in the jungle,
    be very polite and act like a civilian and offer
    them coffee or food. As soon as you get
    get out of there, call the Phil Marines, OK ?

Let the experts do the fighting.
  6. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
  7. toxic

Jan 15, 2005
    doin' time
    AK's are not that popular in democratic countries compare to the
    M16,m14,m4,AR's cuz of bad publicity and/or misleading propaganda.

My choice would be the the bang ..:50cal: tested in all sorts of climate and conditions.

A friend has one and his only complain is its sooooo heavy ,but tough as an old chew chew train.
  8. I pick the AK47......if the situation calls for a "spray and pray" engagement.....and if the 7.62mm russian ammo supply is free. However, if i buy my own ammo, i pick the m16 (baby or standard)and if the situation calls for a long distance engagement where accuracy means a lot!

Nasa Pilipinas tayo bro, ammo supply of 7.62mm russian is very very very very scarce and presyong ginto po! Not to mention that spare parts of AK is virtually nil.:supergrin:
  9. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Oct 1, 2002
    Street/Road Rage???? Why do you need a gun for street/road rage?
  10. maskytrading

Dec 20, 2006
    So far, it seems that dependability(AK47) is leading accuracy(Baby) in our little thread. Another question: Is the Ak47 so inaccurate that its' fame is that of "spray and pray" only, OR that the baby is so undependable that once you take it outing and you miss a "cleaning and lubricating" stop, it quits?
  11. "baby" so undependable???!!!:rofl:
  12. flash1919

flash1919 TAGA-SIPAT

as ive heared the newer AR carbines (M4) uses a much heavier bullet (parehas daw ng bala ng SAW minimi)and has a rifling of 1:7 compared to the older A1 which has 1:12, kaya kahit na maiksi, ang efective range ay parehas pa rin sa older type na m-16. karamihan daw ng bak-bakan ay nasa 200 mtr or less kaya napalitan ng assault rifle ang battle rifle (m14, fal). "ito ay nabasa ko lang at di ko naranasan sa totoong buhay";)
  13. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    most converted short barreled M16s using the carbine gas system specially 10 inches and below suffer from some form of malfunctions. 11.5" is the minimum for reliability, or you can install one of those krinkov(AKSU-74) like muzzle devices which increases dwell time that contributes to reliability:) and one more thing, a dry ar is prone to failure.

the ak is not that inaccurate, it can hit bowling pins at 30m easy. ergonomics is pretty basic but usable, it goes from safe, auto, semi and makes that clacking noise when manipulated. the down side is that ammo is expensive compared to 5.56 which we can reload.
  14. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Apr 27, 2004
    the newer ar uses the m855 ball, it is heavier than the m193. it has a slower velocity hence it does not fragment very well, fragmentation is what gives the 5.56 its stopping power. for shorties using m855, the effective range is reduced considerably(less than 100) due to lower muzzle velocities. check out for a more detailed explanation regarding the lethality of the 5.56 round:)
  15. nitrox920

Nov 23, 2006
    over under
    :50cal: :50cal:
    Anything that fires as long as its a rifle it's fine with me.

Dont forget to Call the police 117
  16. kontra

Nov 7, 2006
    I agree with you 101%. especially nos. 2, 3 & 4
  17. nitrox920

Nov 23, 2006
    over under
    Since the Philippines is 80% AGriculture
    How about Privately owned Farmland or fishpond areas?
  18. vega

Sep 29, 2001
    I agree with revo on all counts.
  19. Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Pag wala akong pera , I always dream I'm robbing a bank w/ racegun in 38super, w/ 3 32rnd mags naka full rig pa , syempre d pwedeng hindi naka rudy projects para cool and evil ang dating....kaso I realize kaya pala wala akong pera kasi ang mahal pa assemble ng p@#$%^%^ng race gun na yan

Seriously , a carbine against NPAs/ASGs??
    If I'm surrounded by ASGs , I'll lay down my AK , sit down , put my head between my legs and kiss my @$$ goodbye
  20. mtho

Nov 18, 2005
    what no running? ala 007.pare saan ka nakakuha ng 32 round mag ng 38super? pwede ba sa ipsc yan?