close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

B-Ball from the dungeon

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by nipperwolf, Nov 30, 2008.

1. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    Finally got to one of my grandniece's games yesterday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

D300 w/ 85mm 1.8

SS 1/320
    F2
    ISO 2000

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Mar 23, 2003
    >^..^<
    I wish she wasn't blocking her face with her arm in the first shot. She is rather intent on her game :supergrin:

3. Fred

Fred Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Dec 17, 1998
    CA
    that D300 does well at ISO 2000, doesn't it?

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    A lot better that my SD1000 at 200. :)

5. Fred

Fred Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Dec 17, 1998
    CA
    Speaking about that, what really hit home for me is when they try to cram too many megapixels with a small sensor. My old 5MP Canon A95 takes a much cleaner image, all thing being equal, than my newer 8MP A630.

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Jun 3, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Absolutely. I used A610 5MP, and liked the output. It was essentially the same as A95. My GF used the A95, but after it died, she inherited my A610, and I went to the SD1000. It is handy, and the IQ can be quite good for shots where camera knows with certainly that details are indeed that, important details. That means the shot should be close to medium distance, and in perfect focus. Otherwise, all fine detail gets smeared away as noise, even at base ISO. It's just a bad jpeg processing decision on Canon's part as far as I am concerned.

7. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Oct 3, 2002
    In spite of the arm, it's my favorite. I've got an 8x10 for her. Sometimes, she gets a little too intense in her game. ;)

Yes, it does. Its better at 2000, than my D200 was at 800.

8. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

May 16, 2006
    VA
    The only way to put more photosites on a sensor that is the same size is to make the photosites smaller. This lowers the signal to noise ratio of the photosites. If you can come up with ways to fix the noise with out turning the image to crap then fine, but larger photosites will always have better noise characteristics as you can us the same techniques on a sensor with larger photosites and since you started with a much better image (from a noise stand point) have a greater usable ISO range.