Glock Talk banner

AZ Bill in front of Gov. to allow concealed without a permit...

15K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  Am-O-Tramp 
#1 ·
Hi folks.

Yes, I am new here, as I just acquired my first Glock. I am an AZ resident and have had my CCW for over a year.

Here is a link to an article about the new bill in front of the Governor http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_concealed_weapons_arizona

I am curious to know the thoughts of the GT universe on this.

Here is my personal take. Do we really want just anyone to be able to carry concealed? I realize that anyone in AZ can open carry, but I'd like to be able to size up the person with the gun on their side when I see them with it, not when they are drawing it with the potential to use it. I think it is going to lead to an increase in shootings. I am kind of surprised that this law made it this far. I'd think the gun shop owners who also provide CCW training would be all over it. They are sure to lose a bit of revenue because of this.

Hope I am wrong on all counts.

- DMan

#27 · (Edited)
I know this is an old post in a thread that was resurrected, but I never saw this addressed. I haven't seen anything that states that you have to have a permit issued by some other state to carry in Vermont if you are a non-resident. If you are legally allowed to possess the gun, you can carry it...your FL license is not required in VT.
That's not what he's talking about. He's talking about coming from VT and carrying in FLORIDA. Vermont doesn't require a permit, so the concern was if they don't have a VT permit, they can't carry in FL since they need a resident permit from their home state, provided FL would honor it, hypothetically.

That said, I'm not sure if VT issues a permit, for those who want one, just for this very reason. AZ no longer requires a permit, but you can still get one for states that recognize AZ. As I recall, Alaska also issues a permit for the state reciprocity thing...

#28 ·
Do we need a license to exercise any of our other Constitutionally-protected rights? Do we need a permit to go to church? How about a permit to write a letter? Or to buy a newspaper? Does anyone get alarmed over how many books you might have in your library?

#29 ·
This law is one of the good things that makes moving from Tennessee back to Arizona not "hurt" so much. Here in Tennessee it's $50 every 3 years to carry and while you can carry openly if you're going hunting or to the target range you can't carry with the "intent to go armed" but with the permit you can carry openly or concealed.
When I lived in AZ. I'd carry openly but man, I didn't like the looks I'd get from all the Snow Birds and other "non-gun" folks so it'll be nice to carry concealed without having to pay money to exercise my RIGHT to do so via the 2nd Amend.
I also understand that AZ. will still offer a CCW Permit that will allow a person to carry in otherwise restricted places where this law doesn't apply but at least they're on the right track.

#30 ·
This law is one of the good things that makes moving from Tennessee back to Arizona not "hurt" so much. Here in Tennessee it's $50 every 3 years to carry and while you can carry openly if you're going hunting or to the target range you can't carry with the "intent to go armed" but with the permit you can carry openly or concealed.
When I lived in AZ. I'd carry openly but man, I didn't like the looks I'd get from all the Snow Birds and other "non-gun" folks so it'll be nice to carry concealed without having to pay money to exercise my RIGHT to do so via the 2nd Amend.
I also understand that AZ. will still offer a CCW Permit that will allow a person to carry in otherwise restricted places where this law doesn't apply but at least they're on the right track.

Interesting open carry law.

#31 ·
Interesting open carry law.
Here's how the actual Law is written.

"
Carrying Handguns

Persons carrying firearms without recognized permits in public are prohibited from carrying handguns with the "intent to go armed." Intent is derived from the actions of the gun possessor and the state of the firearms in his/her possession. It is a violation of Tennessee law to carry a handgun openly or concealed when loaded with ammunition unless the wearer has a legal Tennessee handgun carry permit (however, per Tenn. Code Ann. 39-17-1351 r.(1) a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state [Tennessee] according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state [Tennessee])."

I'm still puzzled over the "intent to go armed" deal since I guess if you were on your way to the Shooting Range or going Hunting you could simply tell the Officer that you were carrying with the intent to go target shooting or hunting and thus not the intent to go armed but it's still crazy the way they worded it. I'd carried in AZ. since we moved there when I was 18 and packed a Cap n' Ball Remington '58 clone around with me in the desert until I turned 21 and could legally buy a ctg. handgun.

That all changed when we moved to Tennessee in '95 but in '98 they passed a Carry Permit Law and I got my permit that same year and I've carried here in Tennessee ever since.

I just love it that now if/when we move back to AZ. I'll still be able to carry concealed without the need for a permit and I'll probably still go a head and get my AZ. CCW just for the extra privileges it offers me for CCW.

#33 ·
Frank, I open carry as well, discrete carry :whistling: depending on the venue so to say. I know what you mean about looks from the Snow Birds :wow: when we open carry here in AZ. To the other side of the fence, have actually had people approach me "thank you for carrying." Another that surprised me was a comment from a Tempe LEO "hey brother, nice rig. What ammo you carry? I appreciate open carry, I am at ease around people when I see their sidearm. The guys walking through a store with a sidearm blatantly imprinting and dressed like a punk are the ones I keep an eye on. Discrete Carry is just that, don't try to hide a full frame pistol under a t-shirt but many knuckleheads do it anyways." The LEO and I must have talked for a good 30 minutes about his firearm collection and mine and places we put rounds down range in the nearby desert spots.

Question since I transplanted from the state of VA with a VA Permit to carry. I see the "NO GUNS" on various buildings: doctor offices; restaurants and other retail stores and malls out here. Where will my carry permit cover me to carry where otherwise is posted no carry?

Thanks neighbor.

#34 ·
This is so sad, and it'd be funny if it wasn't the truth, that we have to acquire a permit to exercise a right. How can you possible say that the right isn't being infringed upon if you're requiring a permit? Sick and sad, damn progressives are screwing everything up.
This is a funny read for us common sense people. Also, it's great to post on FB to get your anti freedom friends/co-workers to understand why their attempt to control guns are futile and just leave citizens unarmed.

#36 ·
'Shall not be infringed'.

Cops won't be able to bust the gangbangers for carrying 'concealed without a license' anymore, but it's the 2nd Amendment and you gotta take the 'bad' along with the good on that one.

I support this new law.
I completely agree. there will always be good guys with guns just like there will always be bad guys with guns. to my understanding, i am allowed to carry concealed even without a license right now. correct me if I'm wrong. but i do agree that nobody has the right to tell me that i am not allowed to carry (open or concealed) because of a piece of paper. I guarantee you that i have sent more rounds down range than a lot of people who have CCW's. i know the "ten commandments of gun safety" and follow them religiously, pun intended. a piece of paper doesn't make someone any smarter, better, or more qualified with a gun. just my own two cents.

#37 ·
'Shall not be infringed'.

Cops won't be able to bust the gangbangers for carrying 'concealed without a license' anymore, but it's the 2nd Amendment and you gotta take the 'bad' along with the good on that one.

I support this new law.
But if they have priors and are convicted felons, they'll still be able to get picked up on those. Or if they have filed serial numbers, they'll get picked up on those too. Generally, the people you're worried about, will still get picked up, they'll just have one less charge.

#38 ·
I don't see the need for concealed carry permits, criminals don't have them. I think a better deterrent would be giving anyone that commits a crime with a firearm 15 extra years of hard time that can't be shortened for any reason.

Same goes with ordering guns through the mail, if you have a conceded carry permit and have a clean record why not be able to order a gun and have it delivered to your door as long as the gun is sent registered mail and someone is home to sign for the package.. Gun shops get guns sent to them through the mail all the time. People that are bent on committing crimes don't worry about laws and regulations...it's pathetic and dangerous what this country does to fool it's citizens into believing our gun laws make their streets safer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.