Glock Talk banner

AZ Bill in front of Gov. to allow concealed without a permit...

15K views 37 replies 30 participants last post by  Am-O-Tramp 
#1 ·
Hi folks.

Yes, I am new here, as I just acquired my first Glock. I am an AZ resident and have had my CCW for over a year.

Here is a link to an article about the new bill in front of the Governor http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_concealed_weapons_arizona

I am curious to know the thoughts of the GT universe on this.

Here is my personal take. Do we really want just anyone to be able to carry concealed? I realize that anyone in AZ can open carry, but I'd like to be able to size up the person with the gun on their side when I see them with it, not when they are drawing it with the potential to use it. I think it is going to lead to an increase in shootings. I am kind of surprised that this law made it this far. I'd think the gun shop owners who also provide CCW training would be all over it. They are sure to lose a bit of revenue because of this.

Hope I am wrong on all counts.

- DMan

#7 ·
"Shall not be infringed"
So do I! :wavey:
Me too!

JMHO not tryin to start anything.
RKBA:
It's not a Constitutional right, it's an inalienable God given birth right that was confirmed as such by the Constitution, hence there should be no gun laws period.
but that scares people who start thinking hey wait a minute, then bad people could own guns W/O breaking the law too!

Well whether it's legal or not they do it any way, that being said they also CC any way, so . . . it wont really make much of a difference if any in the violent crime stats, there are still laws against harming others ETC., and those laws will still be enforced just as effectively or ineffectively as they always have and you also have to know that bad & violent people will always CC no matter if the law said instant, on the spot execution for mere illegal possession of a firearm.
we should remember that bad is as bad does and there will always be bad (that is why we CC is it not, because no one is responsible for your safety but you) just as there will always be good . . .

The possession of a permit and having taken a class will not prevent some one from deciding one day to commit a violent act, but having a high quality of character would prevent such a thing, you cant enforce nor ensure that either can you?

Just some food for thought . . .

N.D.

#13 ·
Well I think it is an advantage to have the CCW plastic in my wallet. It makes the purchase of a pistol much easier - no FBI check.

dave - the wild west gets wilder
This.

Also taking the classes and getting an actual permit will allow you to carry in other states that recognize AZ permits.

#14 ·
This.

Also taking the classes and getting an actual permit will allow you to carry in other states that recognize AZ permits.
Even with the law you can still get the permit. I'm just waiting to see someone tell me in the 2nd amendment were it says you need permission from the government to carry a gun. What few I've seen that are gun owners that object to the bill remind me of the batty bunch. They figure oh well a little gun control is alright. The trouble is the Constitution I learned has nothing like that in the 2nd amendment

#16 ·
Given that CCW is a state side decision, I'd prefer if all states would implement some form of issuable permit. There are a couple reasons, but I have relatives (in-laws) that live in Vt. When they come down to visit us each year (sometimes for prolonged periods), they have to leave their guns in the car or leave them home as my state doesn't recognize their right to carry in Vermont. Whereas, if I go to Vermont, I can carry anytime since I have a permit, yet other out-of-staters can't do it legally.

If there isn't any other qualification than being a state resident, they should still issue them to folks that want them in order to fully reciprocate with other states.

#17 ·
This post reminded me of the guy who was CC in Lowe's and shot his boys off. From what I remember it didn't say he was carrying illegally. So obvious any class he took didn't teach him a whole lot. Can't teach stupid. And since the people you're worried about CCing already are anyways with or without a permit what does it really matter. I'm for it, if somebody can't afford to take the class easily shouldn't they be able to protect themselves too?

#18 ·
Well, it's been close to a year since the bill was signed into law, and the streets are not running red. In fact, I can't discern any change whatsoever.

I will continue to renew my permit, as I feel it may lend an air of credibility in case of an event; as well as the ability to walk into pistol parlour every couple months and buy something new without waiting around for the NICS people.

#22 ·
'Shall not be infringed'.

Cops won't be able to bust the gangbangers for carrying 'concealed without a license' anymore, but it's the 2nd Amendment and you gotta take the 'bad' along with the good on that one.

I support this new law.
They will still get a lot of them for felon in possession.

It won't hurt the LEO'S in their dealings with GB'ers. They always handle them as if they are armed. :cool:

#23 ·
...still waiting...

Nothing happened, except now maybe the criminals will think twice about jacking someone up in Arizona, since EVERYONE might be carrying...
Brother, I wish that was the case yesterday.

#26 ·
Given that CCW is a state side decision, I'd prefer if all states would implement some form of issuable permit. There are a couple reasons, but I have relatives (in-laws) that live in Vt. When they come down to visit us each year (sometimes for prolonged periods), they have to leave their guns in the car or leave them home as my state doesn't recognize their right to carry in Vermont. Whereas, if I go to Vermont, I can carry anytime since I have a permit, yet other out-of-staters can't do it legally.

If there isn't any other qualification than being a state resident, they should still issue them to folks that want them in order to fully reciprocate with other states.
I know this is an old post in a thread that was resurrected, but I never saw this addressed. I haven't seen anything that states that you have to have a permit issued by some other state to carry in Vermont if you are a non-resident. If you are legally allowed to possess the gun, you can carry it...your FL license is not required in VT.

Your relatives can always get a non-resident FL license if they want to carry here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.