close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Avoiding becoming a victim while on vacation in Europe

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tarpleyg, Jun 15, 2012.

1. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

While reading Mike R.'s accountof his wife and MIL being robbed while on vacation reminded me that I need to evaluate our security while abroad.

What precautions should we take to mitigate becoming a victim? We'll have a large amount of cash on our persons until we can stash some at my wife's sister's place. We'll also have a credit card and debit card each.

I have several of the Columbia ROC shorts and pants that I'll be wearing. They have a semi-hidden zippered pocket behind the right front pocket and I plan on keeping my wallet and our passports there and a small amount of cash and a credit card in another pocket for easy access.

If it matters, we have two small kids so distractions will be aplenty.

Greg

2. deputy tom

deputy tom

3. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

The best way not to stand out is to dress like a tourist. And get one of those little passport pouches that hang from you neck too. I suggest speaking english as loud as you possibly can and when someone doesn't understand you, speak even louder because understanding english is based upon volume...

:rofl:

4. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

I travel for work and carry a "throw wallet" and have actually used it. (Thanks Massad!)

It's filled with a couple twenties, a wad of ones, those plastic insurance cards they send in your junk mail and some gag drivers licenses that you get at the quickie mart.

If you KNOW that it's going to go down -- throw the wallet so they have to turn around to get it and run like a little girl, while the hoodies are laughing at you.

Much easier and cheaper than getting arrested for a clean shoot.

5. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Without being too sarcastic, it depends upon where you go.

For the most part northern Europe is pretty crime free and if notice if you are in the wrong parts of town.

IF you are in southern Europe, all those hidden pockets and such don't help. They pickpockets know the game better than you. The best way is to avoid areas of cities known for that but when you go to tourist areas known for the that, keep some distance around you. That friendly gypsy that wants to help out...well..s/he wil help you lighten you load.

But that said, I leave my passport where I stay and carry some money/ID with me. I never really worry about crime in Northern Europe.

6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

He said Euope.....I doubt he will have a gun.....

7. treeline

treeline

+1 on what has already been said. I'll risk repeating:

The biggest risk is simple robbery, like pickpocketing or someone snatching a bag and running off. That's mostly likely to happen where tourists gather or where you're crushed against others (metro etc). Keep your money split up and only fill your wallet with as much money as you need and consider it a throw wallet. A money belt helps against pickpockets but it's not foolproof- thieves actively look for that kind of thing.

There's only so much you can do to prevent this kind of thing since any decent thief will be gone before you even notice they've grabbed your phone. It's a fact of life in tourist areas everywhere. Spain and Italy are notoriously bad and the opportunistic bag snatch is their way of saying "hello". As Dana said, the northern countries are generally better, although tourist areas will still have the usual pickpockets. Thankfully there's very little chance of violent robbery, car jacking or whatever.

I hope you have a good time. :)

8. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

We'll be in London (northern Europe) and the southern coast of Spain (southern Europe). I guess I could always ask my wife to stuff everything in her underwear because if I haven't been able to get into them, no swarthy Spaniard will be able to either ROFL.

Greg

9. A'boy

A'boy fulla hateraid

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

People that carry a lot of cash are fools. Don't be a fool.

Anywhere you want to go has ATM's, use them.

11. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

A friend went to Buenos Aries a few years ago when a bunch of children came up and surrounded them. The kids said they wanted his fanny pack. He hesitated too long and one of them took a single edge razor and sliced my friend down his side cutting the fanny pack belt and my friend in the process.
    The kids just walked off like it was nothing.
    Took him totally by surprise.

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

This. Anyone who lands in a foreign airport with more than the equivalent of $100 US has planned poorly unless of course, your US bank is Wells Fargo. :steamed: HH

13. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Well, unfortunately, I owe my BIL some money for the vacation digs in Spain and I wanted to pay him US. I need to find out what my access to money via ATM is going to be. I'm with a credit union if it makes a difference.

Greg

14. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

American Express travelers checks.

15. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

That's actually one of the smartest things I have never thought about while traveling. Heck, that would work just for going out to dinner in the city.

16. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

remember the scene in Hostel , where the kids surrounding them , and until they gave them something they were gonna f them up , then later to get past they gave them a whole bag of gum , the bad guys came up , and those kids killed the hell out of them . those things happen for real

when we travel , we just use common sense , and always look out for little hands , little hands reach alot . never keep wallet or money in back of you ever .

we have been all over EUROPE , not a problem when using sense ,

17. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Why? What's he going to do with US currency in Spain. Bad Idea.

Welcome to 1965 :rofl:

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

South America and Europe are slightly different.....

19. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

tarp,

Honestly, don't worry about it much.

London right now has cops all over. They are worried about security for olympics.

Spain isn't really known for problems.

I would actually say that you are less likely to have problems in Europe than USA.

But, what make you a target is looking like a tourist/American.

For example, the Columbia pants you are talking about....that SCREAMS American tourist. In general, nice jeans (go to Macys and look at CK..that is a typical style), no sport shoes (think nice leather dress shoes), etc. Don't wear a fanny pack. Don't have you passport around you neck, etc.

The best way to avoid trouble is blend in....

20. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

I have some advice, go and have some fun.