close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Auto knife carry for CWP holder?

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by taekwonno, Mar 11, 2007.

1. taekwonno

taekwonno

Oct 14, 2006
    Osprey, FL
    I've been reading the statutes but can't come to a conclusion on whether or not it is legal for a person with a concealed weapons permit to carry an auto knife.

I'd be really bummed if I couldn't carry my brand new Microtech...

Does anyone have a definite answer?

2. Gmountain

Gmountain

May 8, 2004
    Florida
    Yes, you can carry it. Perfectly ok, in FLorida, if you have a CCW.

790.225 Ballistic self-propelled knives; unlawful to manufacture, sell, or possess; forfeiture; penalty.--

(1) It is unlawful for any person to manufacture, display, sell, own, possess, or use a ballistic self-propelled knife which is a device that propels a knifelike blade as a projectile and which physically separates the blade from the device by means of a coil spring, elastic material, or compressed gas. A ballistic self-propelled knife is declared to be a dangerous or deadly weapon and a contraband item. It shall be subject to seizure and shall be disposed of as provided in s. 790.08(1) and (6).

(2) This section shall not apply to:

(a) Any device from which a knifelike blade opens, where such blade remains physically integrated with the device when open.

3. Gutmacher in his Firearms book (every FL gun owner should buy and read this book) has a blurb on "switchblades" knives. As GM' above says, yes, it is legal (Florida Firearms, pg 106.).

4. Gmountain

Gmountain

May 8, 2004
    Florida
    Thoe Microtechs are really nice. If I had the dough, I'd carry one. I do have a Lone Wolf Double Duty, which I think is a pretty good looking knife.

5. taekwonno

taekwonno

Oct 14, 2006
    Osprey, FL
    Thanks a lot guys. I asked around here and got it too.

Guess I just got confused with classification of a "weapon" and the "ballistic knife."

I suppose the term projectile should have made it clear for me.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford mmhmm

Oct 2, 2003
    Florida
    You also don't need a CCW permit to openly carry a weapon in FL.