close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Aurora chief "clips"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Boogiefan, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Boogiefan

Boogiefan

The chief keeps calling magazines "clips" during his news interviews. He's had a heck of a night/day though. Thoughts and prayers with them all.

2. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Most people do. Language evolves.

3. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Too many action movies.

Mags are now = clips
    Mac-10 is an = uzi
    Anything that looks evil is a = machine gun

The list goes on...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  4. JBnTX

JBnTX

You might as well face it.

The terms "clip" and "magazine" have become completely interchangeable in today's firearm's jargon.

To continue pointing it out when a person refers to a magazine as a clip is pointless.

5. ray9898

ray9898

Much ado about nothing.

6. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

shorter, easier ot say than magazines. It's just a word it doesn't really matter what you call them. Clips actually makes a lot more sense than saying magazines.

If I say magazine am I talking about the box mag in my 700s? The tube mag in my 1187? Possibly the detachable mag in my 22? You never know, clips really only apply to one thing in the common knowledge of most people out there.

7. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

If he said "large capacity ammunition feeding devices", would that have made you happy?

8. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I'm surprised when board members expect politicians to use proper firearms terminology. Just because he's a police chief doesn't mean he knows much more about firearms than other government administrators.

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

BTW, what do you call those wooden parts that fit over the "handles" of S&W revolvers?

10. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Of all the things that occurred in the aftermath of this shooting, I appreciate how that chief has held steady and I appreciate the lightning fast response of law enforcement and other 1st responders.

Thirty years ago there was no google, facebook, html, or hyperlink in our every day language. Fifty years ago there was no HIV or AIDS or email in our lexicon. Eighty years ago there was no "cellular phone" or microwave in our lexicon. 150 years ago there was no laptop computer, television, telephone or assault rifle in our language.

Language evolves. You, I and millions of other folks - both gun owners and the gun disinterested had a general idea of what he was referring to. This is all that matters for effective communication. He was not addressing academia, nor a courtroom as an expert witness, nor the NRA annual convention, nor the NTOA/NPCA/IALEFI...he was addressing America, and he used language that 99.00% of his target audience would understand.

Those folks in Aurora are going thru a small slice of hell. I hope there are resources available to treat those initial medics and cops who rushed into that blood bath.

It is also unspoken but clear that I hope the families of the dead, and the wounded, and all affected can find the strength to put one foot ahead of the next in days to come.

- G

11. tongix

tongix

Irrelevant for the most part.

12. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

Yeah, before the shootings and all those pesky news conferences, he was probably up all night reading the dictionary or something really stupid like that... :whistling:

Hypertext Webster Gateway Lookup: "clip"

HTH :wavey:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  13. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Stocks

14. ArtCrafter

Correct! :thumbsup:

NEXT UP: The Origin Of The .45 LONG COLT... :rofl:

15. Kevin108

Kevin108 file_id.diz

Being that he's surrounded by reporters for mainstream media, he might be dumbing things down into a language they can understand. :wavey:

16. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Yeah, I notice that too; and commented to my wife that tomorrow Glock Talk was going to be buzzing with the old, 'clips vs. magazines' brouhaha.

Only on the Internet, only on the Internet! For, at least, the past 100 years clips and magazines have been accepted military and advertising synonyms for each other. Then the Internet came along; and, all of a sudden, everybody suddenly got stupid and forgot that IF YOU'VE A GUNMAN WITH HALF A BRAIN IN YOUR HEAD you'll instantly know the difference between clips and magazines.

If America could fight two world wars and a half dozen major conflicts without specifying the simple differences between clips and magazines then, internet or no internet, the rest of us should be able to do it too.

(I'm waiting for the big war movie scene where the hero runs dry and yells out, 'Quick, toss me a clip!' and his buddy looks at him and replies, 'Ahh, do you want a clip or a magazine?' THAT is how stupid this discussion is to me.)

Here, look it up: http://nraila.org/glossary.aspx

17. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

You must call mags clips... :whistling:

But no, seriously...the way I've always seen it is the word 'clip' is slang, and the word 'magazine' is proper. Anytime this is brought up and people point out that the two are interchangeable, I always ask why are there 2 different words for the same part of a gun. It would seem kind of stupid since we don't have 2 different words for the rest of a firearm.

Also, can you think of any firearm manufacturer's website you can go to right now and see a magazine called a clip? I've never seen one. Hell, I just looked and Hi Point even gets it right and calls them magazines.

18. ArtCrafter

REPEAT:

HTH :wavey:

19. JBnTX

JBnTX

Technically speaking, you are correct.

However, the two words have become interchangeable in non-technical and informal use.

Much like how everyone calls all tissues kleenex, when kleenex is only one specific brand of tissue.

A clip and a magazine are two different things. The main difference is that a magazine has a spring and a clip doesn't. There are other minor differences, too.

But in today's world when words mean anything you want them to...

20. ArtCrafter

FIFY :thumbsup:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: