close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Attn: Electronics and Computer Gurus!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by OXCOPS, Oct 29, 2004.

1. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    I need some technical help with a computer monitor problem.

In our dispatch center, we run two standard style monitors and a couple of radios. They are spaced far enough apart from each other so not to cause interference.

Now, we are re-designing our console. We must move one of the monitors to another location which is about 12" closer to the primary radio. When this radio is keyed up, there is a distinct "hum" in the background. I assume this is caused by the monitor's electronics since it did not do it before it was moved.

Now, another question/scenerio. We may have to replace this monitor. If we do, we want to go with a flat panel LCD one. If we did, does this type of monitor emit the same interference as a standard screen one?

2. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

Aug 23, 2002
    OAF Mecca, MD
    The CRT has a big magnet in it that directs the beam to draw the picture on the screen, an LCD does not.

I used to work in a hospital, there was this 1 group of people that sat over a generator or some kind of power equipment, their monitors where all kinds of pretty colors, even with extra shielding. They got LCDs way back when 15" ones were like $1500 each.

3. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    So a swap to LCD would solve it.

How much are decent 15"-17" LCDs?

4. vote Republican

vote Republican White and nerdy Moderator

Aug 23, 2002
    OAF Mecca, MD
    Maybe $3-400. I'd look up some reviews on zdnet.com or cnet.com and see what they recommend.

See, you could have had all your questions answered in OAF.

;f

5. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ

Like I trust you people in there!!

;f;f;f;f;f;f;f

6. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

Oct 11, 2004
    Traverse City, Michigan
    With the way prices are going, I might consider an LCD. The only problem I have with them is the whole "native resolution" issue, unless of course that is false or has been addressed.

7. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Dec 31, 2000
    AZ
    This monitor will be used for a CAD system. Since one screen stays up for a while, is there a big problem for burnout like a regular screen? I honestly don't know. My laptop's screensaver turns on fairly often, but the one at work will not be able to turn on very often due to use.

8. Today's monitors and LCD's are all Energy Star compliant, and use a different phosphor coating (for CRT's) than the monitors of old. You can leave them on 24/7 and not worry about burn-in (having flashbacks to the old monitors at 7/11).

LCD's are liquid crystal and are constantly moving, so there is 0% chance of burn in. You're more likely to have a few pixels "disappear" than anything else.

9. nyarlotep

nyarlotep

Oct 6, 2004
    Lake Stevens, WA
    www.tigerdirect.com

Decent selection, not the biggest names but they have good prices. My brother got his flatscreen monitor from them a year ago and hasn't had any problems. I know many people who've been happy with their purchases from Tiger.

10. R_Ladies_Man

R_Ladies_Man Just Sad

Sep 23, 2004
    Wisconsin Village
    pricewatch.com do a search. also they are getting pretty cheap. check out dell and gateway also :)

love my dell monitor 17" LCD

11. Bronson7

Bronson7

May 19, 2002
    Murray,Kentucky
    Another vote For NewEgg! Their site is very easy to navigate just take the reviews with a grain of salt.
    Bronson7

12. srhoades

srhoades

Jul 14, 2000
    Our dispatch center uses HP flat panels. We have a couple hundred. Like a typical government agency I'm sure it was a matter of who would give the lowest price, but they work and look decent.

13. davejax904

davejax904

Apr 1, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    ive purchased my 2 LCD's offa newegg

so. . . another vote for newegg!

14. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Oct 7, 2002
    another vote for newegg.

i don't know what stores are around your area, but in jackson, compusa has 15 and 17 inch lcd's for $300.00