close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Attention Computer SME's I need a diagnosis???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mildot, Sep 4, 2013.

1. mildot

mildot

May 31, 2007
    St Kitts
    So this is a "older" tower computer, very basic, this is what I see when I turn on the computer? Is this computer on it's "final journey" ?
    Any suggestions? I"ve done the "plug, unplug" change the power bar etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Lovin Sparks Nv!
    Video is having issues for sure... might need a new graphics card. You can try the monitor on another desktop or notebook computer and that will help narrow it down.

HTH
    Patrick

3. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Utah
    Dual Monitors right? First I'd unplug any extras and go to just one monitor. If you still see the same pattern it's the Video card. If not, then it could be a cable.

4. jpa

jpa CLM

May 28, 2001
    Las Vegas NV
    Eliminate the monitor first, then the cable, then the video card. I'm going to bet it's the video card. Not a big deal.

5. mildot

mildot

May 31, 2007
    St Kitts
    Not dual monitors, just two pics of the same monitor, I couldn't decide which one was better? I've eliminated the monitor, how hard is it to change the video card?
    Any video card recommendations? I'm looking at some from Tiger Direct. Thanks troops

6. got_metal

got_metal

Dec 19, 2009
    The Wasteland
    Changing the video card is very easy, even if you have just basic computer knowledge. How old of a PC are you talking here? Depending on age, if you want to upgrade to something newer you may also need a new motherboard. If you do that, you may want a new CPU as well....and newer RAM....and a new power supply...you get the idea. If you just want to replace it with something similar to what's there, it would probably be pretty cheap, again depending on age though.

7. mildot

mildot

May 31, 2007
    St Kitts
    I would say that without looking at the actual receipt it's about 5yrs old? it came with Windows Vista edition?

8. got_metal

got_metal

Dec 19, 2009
    The Wasteland
    That's pretty old in computer technology. Any way you can provide specs? At least for the video card?

9. mildot

mildot

May 31, 2007
    St Kitts
    Well I was able to "turn it on and off" and it would go way after a few tries but that's not the case now. I'm looking for the receipt to get the info. I believe it was a "refurb" from Best Buy. Is the "computer info" on the outside?

Here's what I have from the receipt;

Compaq SR5510F REFX2 FS10114305

CPU TYPE F07
    UPC 0884420361695
    cost was $299 purchased in 2008

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  10. got_metal

got_metal

Dec 19, 2009
    The Wasteland
    Some of it may labeled be on the case. Mostly you can find it in control panel/system and control panel/device manager.

I'm off to work so hopefully some of these other guys can help you out.

11. Pretty easy to change the video card. Take of the side and take out the screw holding it into the back of the case. Sometimes there is a little plastic tab at the end to flip down too.

[​IMG]

You could open the case and see which one of those types of slots the video card is plugged into.

Honestly, pretty much any video card you buy nowadays is probably going to be better then what's in there.

If your PC is using onboard video you will just need to install the new card and switch the bios to use the card instead of the onboard.

12. JimmyN

JimmyN

Sep 29, 2006
    Virginia
    I looked up the SR5510F on HP's site for some info on what you have. It appears that PC didn't originally come with a graphics adapter, but used an onboard Nvidia 6150SE GPU.

Is your video cable from the monitor connected to the motherboard VGA connector, or to a graphics card that has been added, maybe as part of the refurb? The motherboard VGA connector will be near the top of the I/O rear panel (below the round PS2 mouse/keyboard connectors and above the USB ports). If you're using a graphics adapter the video cable will be plugged in down at the bottom among the expansion slots.

If you're using the onboard it's probably toast and you'll need a graphics card. If it currently has a graphics card pull it out of the slot and plug it back in, that will wipe the contacts and may fix the problem. If not you may be able to just remove it and use the onboard video instead, depending on your graphics needs.

That motherboard has a PCI-e 16x connector for video, so you'll look for a PCI-e graphic card if you need to buy one.