close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Attacking young Moose downed with Glock.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MaxxAction, Feb 25, 2014.

1. MaxxAction

MaxxAction

Feb 26, 2005
    TN
  2. Wiggity

Wiggity

Aug 23, 2011
    Damn, glad it wasn't a bigger moose, other wise it would have required a 10mm :innocent:

3. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Jul 22, 2002
    In Remembrance
    He could have turned around. Too bad it wasn't a grizz...

Pass the popcorn.

4. Wiggity

Wiggity

Aug 23, 2011
    I thought of this too. But honestly, having been face to face with a moose before, taking that much time to turn your back on it and risk getting stuck is a HUGE gamble

5. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    More proof that a Glock is the best (if not the only) handgun you can use to take down a moose.

6. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    I dunno if I'd have shot that early, it seemed like it was leaving, but then, I don't live near moose, and I have no idea how they tend to act.

Any info on his cartridge, bullet, or placement out there in cyberspace?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  7. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    Sorry, but as someone who has encountered moose in the wild, I think he had more options than shooting it.

Good shooting, though; I'm impressed it went down that quickly...

8. kiole

kiole

Feb 16, 2008
    He couldn't of turned around, a snowmobile isn't like riding a 4 wheeler if he pulls off the trail to turn around he probably would have sunk and got stuck. Also there was at least one sled behind him and getting both turned around off the trail would have been impossible especially with a moose charging them.

He probably could have fired a warning shot earlier or started moving forward when the moose was starting back down the trail and the moose probably would have continued forward. I don't fault him for taking the shots but he probably should have finished it off before leaving.

9. kiole

kiole

Feb 16, 2008
    Agreed but after it charged I can't blame him for shooting. I've run into moose on a 4 wheeler and had a stare down. I slowly put it in reverse and backed off and got out of there. That is a little more difficult on a wooded trail with a snowmobile.

It appears his biggest mistake was pulling closer and closing him self off. There was a side trail he could have taken if he didn't pull forward on the moose. Usually moose take off but in this case obviously it didn't. He should have sat back at first sight and not kept creeping up.

10. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    It had already attacked him.

11. Inebriated

Inebriated

Feb 20, 2012
    If your adrenaline is going, you care more about you than it.

I watched it again, it looked like it was coming back. At first, I was looking at the gun, not the moose. Seemed like the moose was leaving, but it was coming back. I'd probably have shot it too.

12. Rizzo

Rizzo Garbage Day!

Jun 10, 2008
    Godless country
    Is that really the type of noise you make to scare off a moose? I thought it was a retarded dog at first.

Can't help but laugh as he just rides away afterwards, like handgunning a moose down is just another day in the woods. :rofl:

13. kiole

kiole

Feb 16, 2008
    :rofl:

Pretty sure he made a mating call and the moose got confused.

14. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

Feb 1, 2005
    Where the **** is he going? He's got work to do. It ain't going to dress itself.

15. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009

In AK, moose kill more people than bears.

16. Redheadhunter21

Redheadhunter21

May 6, 2012
    Miami
    I'm not sure how I feel about this video, there is no doubt it showed it attacked him once, and I saw no reasonable escape path however I think I would have waited a good 10 minutes to let it walk away and then scooted by.

However I don't think there was enough wrong doing for charges, multiple shots on target was good by the shooter and I would have drove past the moose to have an escape route, then if it stayed down I would have gone back to put it down before leaving.

However no round in the chamber.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

17. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    He did chamber a round before he pulled the trigger. Perhaps he trains for how he carries.