close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Atheism Is Not A Religion!

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Smacktard, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Smacktard

Smacktard

Oct 22, 2005
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCJn85isxE&feature=g-high-rec"]Bill Maher - Atheism Is Not A Religion (New Rules 3rd February 2012) - YouTube[/ame]

Bill explains it all.

2. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    [​IMG]

This guy?? Seriously? He's an idealog idiot.

First, he used an incorrect definition, second, he's about as wrong as possible on so many other issues, how could you possibly trot this arsehole out as some sort of subject matter expert.

The question I have now is, do you really want me to get into why, from an agnostic perspective, it is perfectly reasonable to consider atheism as just another religion?

3. nmk

nmk

Apr 25, 2007
  4. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
  5. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    The definitions fit. It fits in the spirit of the words too. From my perspective, it makes sense.

It is very evident that it is hard to admit though. It's obviously an emotionally charged issue. Many can't bring themselves to even agree to disagree on the issue.

6. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    More accurately.... Right, but inconvenient to admit.

Odd that it bothers you so much for someone else to have a different opinion than you, don't you think?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  7. Lone Wolf8634

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    Insisting that you're right, doesn't make it so, Doc. Which, as I've noted elsewhere, seems to be you're preferred debating tactic.

The same could be said about you. Pot, meet Kettle.

8. nmk

nmk

Apr 25, 2007
    I don't believe in bigfoot. Join my religion or squatch will torment you in hell.

9. nmk

nmk

Apr 25, 2007
    Shhh. He still claims to be agnostic.

10. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    :rofl::rofl::rofl: It's just as valid as you simply claiming I'm wrong.

Now, come on. How many times have I offered to agree to disagree with you and let it go? A couple dozen?

11. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Odd that is a sticking point. Or is it some sort of an attempt to discredit me by claiming I am being less than truthful.

I guess I could claim something made up about you too, but why?

12. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    If you can be serious and honest for a moment, do you believe that there has never been a deity?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  13. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    It most definately is a religion. It makes, like all major religions a metaphysical presuppsoition. It presumes without evidence that there is No God. This intitiate a clear set of logical coralating beliefs. Since there is no god, there can clearly be no revelation. Without a revelation there can be no meaning, or a common set of morality or eithics. Without meaning there is no purpose. Without purpose there is no hope. That is why Atheism has been branded, "The philosophy of suicide." Because, if there is no meaning or purpose, then why bother.

14. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Funny about how that is so hard to admit?

Guess they could not claim intellectual superiority if they admitted that they have chosen to believe in something that there is not one shred of evidence to prove. The passive lack of belief is awful curious in a bunch of folks that defend zealously their belief as superior above all others.

15. Lone Wolf8634

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    There's another thread (I'm sure you noticed) with hundreds of posts, if not more, of people explaining to you why your wrong, you're argument to all these arguments amounts to nothing more than reciting a few definitions you found online, and say "I'm right".

Oh, and constantly misrepresenting positions, assigning beliefs and philosophies and sidestepping arguments based on the fact that you don't think they're "meaningful" enough.

Pardon me if I'm not sufficiently impressed.

But you don't, you show up in other threads (such as this one) to continue the argument. You wanna let it go, let it go, but if you keep bringing it up, expect to be argued with. Don't be surprised when your action brings about the predictable result.

Have I told you in this post that your being disingenuous?

Again.

Surprise:upeyes:

16. Lone Wolf8634

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    Only people I've ever seen call it "The philosophy of suicide.", surprisingly (not really), is Theists. Imagine that.

17. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Lone,

There are hundreds of posts of people telling me they have a different opinion, and why they feel that way.

Get over it, the fact is that language is not math, and it is perfectly legitimate to state that atheism is a religion. It is grammatically correct, and the definitions fit.

It's VERY hard to admit for some though. That's the really interesting part for me. Why is it so irritating for someone to notice that atheists have made a choice in what to believe?

So what? I'm supposed to just retreat and shut up?

I'm here to offer my perspective, and discuss issues with atheists and theists alike, and offer my own perspectives on religious issues. You wouldn't begrudge me that?

It would be a lot like me asking you to discuss religion with the theists, and to not mention that god doesn't exist.

And you slid in the ad hom just before closing.

Can you discuss anything with someone you disagree with, and remain a gentleman? I'm beginning to wonder. :whistling:

18. Lone Wolf8634

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    And there you go again.

Never said "shut up". Just said "Don't be surprised when your action brings about the predictable result. "

Where is "shut up" in that?

Not when you say:

I defy you to find anywhere I've claimed intellectual superiority, (I'm the first to admit my ignorance in many areas).

I have not "chosen to believe in something that there is not one shred of evidence to prove." as has been explained to you many times, though you wont hear it.

I've repeatedly told you my position and then you reassign me the one you wish me to have.

I just figure, maybe I need to couch it in stronger language.:dunno:

19. Lone Wolf8634

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
  20. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Revelation is when a god or gods reveal their will which would involve a Personal God, which has a "revelation" e.g. the Bible, the Koran, etc.

I am guessing philosophy and compartive religion is not your strong suit. That is something I studied for four years a lifetime ago. It kept me from getting bored while working on a history degree. When it got dull, phisosophy courses always became interesting.

BTW, as the saying goes: "If you want to spend a gloomy hour, spend it with Schopenhauer."

I didn't really agree with many of the major philosophers. The closest was Immanuel Kant and his view of an absolute morality rather than a pluralistic or utilitarian perspective.

I suspect your comedian friend is also bereft in the study of philosophy as well.