close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

ATF to remove CLEO signature requirement for NFA?

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by NeverMore1701, Apr 26, 2012.

1. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Jan 26, 2012
    Kettering, OH
    That would be real nice. I can't afford a full-auto but would love to pick up a suppressor or two.

2. stsai465

stsai465

Apr 17, 2009
    DFW, TX
    Interesting... does this then reduce the incentive for one of those Class III gun trusts people file to avoid CLEO signature requirements?

3. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Sep 24, 2003
    NoVA
    How come?

4. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
  5. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    1. Given the current climate, chances are it is not a "good" thing at all but a very calculated move to avoid litigation that would cost them far more. The "Cleo" sign off would not hold up to many legal tests. It is a silly thing to include in a Federal law.

2. It never stopped anyone anyways. If forming a trust was too hard for you to get around it, I dont want you to be able to have a machine gun either. :rofl:

6. spork

spork Caffeinator

Dec 7, 2003
    Dystopia
    In two of the last three cities I have lived in, the cleo had no problem signing my paperwork. However, it will still be nice to have this silly requirement eliminated.

7. There are still good reasons to create an NFA trust.

1. More then 1 person can be on the trust and use the NFA items. ie you, your wife, and kids can be on the trust.

2. No taxes on inheritance when you die.

3. Persons under 21, but over 18 can be placed on the trust and possess the NFA items that they could not buy from a dealer until they are 21.

8. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    Phew!

And here I thought I wasted that $500...

9. stsai465

stsai465

Apr 17, 2009
    DFW, TX
    OK good to know. There's a firm local to me willing to do it for $300, so wanted to know if that was still money well spent once I decide to get into the Class III game.

10. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I'd still make a trust, I just like the idea of there being less hoops to jump through, instead of more.

11. I have wondered about this,,,, When you go the trust route for a NFA item,,does the trust include all your assets or is it just a special trust for the NFA item (s).

or

If there is a already existing trust can a NFA item be added to it.

12. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dec 18, 2004
    San AntonioTexas
    You create a trust just to own the NFA item. You can add items to that trust.

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    This just might be the incentive for me to get another MG.

14. faceplant

faceplant

Feb 8, 2006
    Now if they could get rid of the 6-8 month wait time I would be a slightly poorer individual.

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    That would be nice too.

16. The Trust includes whatever you want to put in it, they don't have to be NFA items, could be guns, cars, stocks, your home, ect....

As I understand it, a revocable trust can have items added and taken away as well as trustees added and taken away. But an irrevocable trust is set in stone when signed.

But if you are getting a trust done for an NFA item be sure it is written properly to allow trustees to use the items.

17. Haldor

Haldor Retired EE

Oct 22, 2006
    Central Arizona
    Perhaps, but a trust is still a better way to go. Biggest advantage to a trust is that any trustee can use the NFA items. If you have an individual Form 4 then you have to be present for anyone else to possess or use the NFA item. This also means you have to keep the NFA items in a safe which only you have the combination to.

My wife and I have a trust and when my kids get old enough they will become trustees also. There will also be no need to transfer them to my kids when the time comes.

I used Quicken Will-Maker to create my trust and it was no problem. The AFT accepted it without any question.

One thing about a trust is that it has to have an asset in it before it becomes valid. I put my G17 threaded barrel in the trust before I bought my first suppressor.

I don't see any reason to do an individual Form 4 transfer even without the CLEO sign-off.

P.S. I am using this particular trust for NFA items only.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012