ATF question on the ammo I bought ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by flw, Dec 4, 2012.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Guys it is part of the computer program to make sure their dumb staff do not violate the law.

This keeps non-gun people from selling something they should have to someone they shouldn't have.

Yes, that is the proper answer. And when they look at you strangely tell them to mark it down as a rifle.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

One LGS (of the few remaining!) around here, has an 'ammo log' that you have to give your ID info, for ANY ammo bought.

I know of a former LEO that moved here from another state, bought some ammo from this place, and complied w/ the ammo log.

A few days later. . . . (nights actually!), a little after 12:30 a.m., his home was SURROUNDED by MSP's SWAT team!!
    (MSP is Maryland State Police.)

Two SWAT officers knocked on the door, and being a former LEO, his wife opened the door for them.

Long story short. . . . . this former LEO found out that MSP saw that this guy bought ammo for a handgun that he didn't have registered, here in Maryland, and wanted to know why!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

The officer that lead the SWAT team said that he was only doing his job.
    He never apologized (that I'm aware of), but, he became educated by the former LEO, that you CAN move into this state, and bring firearms, and NOT register them!!!!!!

The ultimate bottom line (as far as I'm concerned), ammunition 'logs' are another form of Big Brother knowing what we are doing.
    :steamed::steamed:

Last item of note: Everyone that I know of, boycotts that LGS for ammo and some of us boycott this LGS for everything!!!!
    :thumbsup:

See next post -

#42 byf43, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  3. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Tell them neither. It's just to look at and you will never use it.

4. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Copied from a forwarded e-mail (that I was cc'd on):

#44 byf43, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  5. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

True story: I used my "machine gun" line at a Wal-mart in Vidor, Tx.

The lady behind the register looks at me and says, "No ammo sold at Wal-Mart will work in machine guns. They use a special ammo that Wal-Mart is not allowed to sell."

:rofl:

6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

There are days when I meet someone who is so dumb I wonder how they find their way to work. This sounds like one of those times.

I guess the other option when someone asked an either or question is to answer, Yes.

7. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Another possibility: that lady behind the counter was as proficient with a one-liner as the customer.

8. I'm stealing that. :tongueout:

9. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member
    CLM

Stealing is against the law!!!!!!

:rofl: __ :tongueout:

10. That would be my guess. Do you have any idea how many times they must hear the old "machine gun" line? And everybody thinks they're so clever, and the very first person to ever use it.

News flash. You're not. Neither the first nor very clever. I know because I've been behind a half dozen people who used it. :upeyes: And I'm not there all day, every day.

Just answer the question, buy your ammo and get out of the way. Others are waiting. The clerk is just doing his/her job.

I would have carded you too, and I was born when Harry Truman was president. But when I worked at a convience store, I quickly figured out it was easier and safer to just card everyone who bought tobacco and beer. Saved a lot of "Hey, you didn't card him/her" arguments, plus I could go to jail if I sold those items to someone underage. Ammo is probably the same way. Not just get fired. Not just the store get fined (which they would too), but I personally COULD GO TO JAIL. And yes, the state runs sting operations. Yea, you were going to show me your ID, or the smokes/chew/beer stayed in the store. Didn't matter to me.

I got the "They're for my mother" line a lot, too.

11. Walmart asks "handgun or rifle" for rimfire and "traditional" handgun calibers. Said BATFE requires it since can be 18 to own long gun, but 21 for handgun. Since Contenders can be had in rifle calibers, question is meaningless.

Your government at work.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I didn't give the guy a hard time. But, anybody who would card me to establish that I'm over 18 is an idiot. Most places like Walmart have a sign that says "we card for people under 30" regarding alcohol or tobacco. Walmart has a forced response for the cashiers so they have to card buyers. Any cashier with common sense would look at me for a second and then hit a button on the register and continue ringing my order up because it is obvious I was over 30 when I still bought alcohol.

It's conceivable that someone who looks 29yo could actually be 17.9yo. There is simply no way a 17yo could have the salt and pepper hair and wrinkles I have. Not only did the guy card me, he had me remove my DL and hand it to him while he actually studied it and compared my photo and face several times.

There is something called "reasonable". It was not reasonable to card me for 18 years. I figure this store might have gotten popped for selling to underage by accident and now they were over reacting. Whatever the reason, the clerk was polite and I wasn't going to give a guy making prolly $7.00 and hour for doing his job. It's not like he was giving me a hard time just for the his own entertainment. But to say "I would have carded you too" is silly. I get a pension for crying out loud. It is in no way reasonable to think I'm in high school.

13. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

The validity of your objection is acknowledged.

He is APPROPRIATING my line! I, of course, shall retaliate by suing him, and we shall spend the next eight years or so paying lawyers to cast aspersions on each other's IQ, parentage, eyesight, ancestry, and sense of direction!

On second thought, just let him steal it.

14. I stopped in at a local store to buy a 6 pack of beer. She asked me what my date of birth was. I asked why she needed that and she told me it was a new rule for alcohol purchase. I told her 1990. She entered it into the system. I'm 60.

15. Twenty one to buy handgun, not own. I can own one here in nm at nineteen, and I did. Just had my parents buy it for me as a gift. Ammo was a pain to buy though. Just said it was for a carbine and no more problems

sent from my left big toe