ATF question on the ammo I bought ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by flw, Dec 4, 2012.

1. skeeter7

skeeter7 Brass Vulture

The last time I went to Walmart, I picked up some 22lr and the lady behind the ammo counter did the same thing when she asked me that question and I answered both. Just looked at me like I had three heads...I then told her pistol just to get outta there.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Never been asked but have not been carded for alcohol for over 3 decades.

3. I usually say "Either way, I'm over 21."

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  4. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Sometimes I say "Which answer keeps me out of jail?"
  5. I've never been asked that.

But then I'm 60 and look it.
  6. So the ones that have been asked are the youngsters :tongueout: (I have not been asked)
    #26 SigFTW, Dec 5, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  7. I picked up some 22 the other day at Wally World and was asked. I asked her why and she said the 18 for rifles and 21 for hand guns thing and I laughed out loud. You think I am 18? She laughed and said not likely. Then explained it was just a habit to ask. I answered both.
  8. Years ago I worked at WAL-MART. I told a customer you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo before I carded him. I then asked him what was the ammo for, he said my pistol and he was 18. Now the young folks think us old people aren't very smart.
  9. Its your age, 21 to purchase handgun ammo, 18 for long gun. If your under 21 and your answer is " for a handgun" you can not legally buy it.
  10. flw

If 50 plus is a youngster then yes :rofl:
  11. Wally World ALWAYS asks that question for 22LR, the reason for that is that in NC its illegal for any person under 21 to purchase hand gun ammunition. 18 and older can by rifle and shotgun ammuniton.

Dont feel bad I aske the same question the first time I was asked.
  12. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936
    Millennium Member

They just want to swipe your driver license into the ole computer. I wanted to buy some 556 and the guy at the counter asked me for my DL. I asked why?... he responded "I need to swipe it". Again I asked why? ...He said that he needed to verify my age. ( I am well passed middle age and look it). I said, yeah right.. and left the ammo on the counter. I buy my ammo at Academy Sports now, without any issues.
  13. ds7br

WallyWorld always asks me(65+yrs old) so I just show them my DL before they can even ask. If they are being a pain I just drop a copy of my C&R license on the counter. That totally confuses them.
  14. Just ask them - is a rocket launcher a handgun or a long gun?:tongueout:
  15. :rofl:
  16. My 20 year old son went to the local Walmart and tried to buy some 9mm, he told them it was for a rifle and they refused to sell it to him.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
  17. Not just NC, that is a federal law.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
  18. I know of people that have had problems being under 21 and buying handgun rounds at Walmart just because there instructions for employees usually dummy proofed to limit handgun calibers to 21+. After calling a manager and explaining they have a carbine or rifle the manager will just ring them up. I'm 21 but I'm in Walmart enough getting ammo they don't even bother me. I think the first time I bought three 500+ packs of 22lr they asked me what I was using them in and stupid me had no idea why they where asking and I was like, um a gun pointing to the guns behind the counter( I thought the cashier was clueless) but then she explained.

As much as I would like to support local gun stores Walmart is closer and prices are way better
  19. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

I got proofed buying a tin of dip today and I was born before the Apollo program. I tried on a pair of cheaters at CVS the other day and decided I wasn't quite ready for them yet. I know what a dwell meter is and can even set points with a matchbook if I have to. I went looking for a tire patch kit for my kid's bike and couldn't find one with a camel on the tin. I remember when F width tires were considered wide. I used to buy gas at Sunoco because they still had leaded gas. I remember the shoulder belts that stowed in little clips above the side windows and you attached them to the lap belt when you went on a trip. I remember when the TRS-80 was a big deal.

This wasn't at walmart, it was a stop and rob.
    #39 WiskyT, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member

Wal-Mart: Rifle or pistol?

Me: No, it's for a machine gun........

#40 Glockdude1, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012