close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'At Will' employment, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Slug71

Slug71

Really do appreciate everyones feedback and opinions in this thread.

Think i'm just more disappointed in that I was really looking forward to moving back to the East Coast next year. I hate living where I do. Jobs are scarce and little opportunity for growth/advancement.

This just feels like a HUGE set back for me. I was looking forward to seeing my family next year which I have not seen in 3 years and gone through a ugly divorce in that time......

2. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

I believe most strip joints have "at wood" employment...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. Hawkeye16

Hawkeye16

Why can't you move to the east coast and find a job out there?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

4. Slug71

Slug71

Relocation is expensive. According to city-data one should have 6-9 months of living expenses save to do a out of state move. I defs don't have that.

5. Slug71

Slug71

Lol. :D

6. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

"and despite this economy you can't find good employees." That is total bull****. There are millions of talented, educated, motivated long-term people begging for a decent job,

"On the employee side, you are covered under the "workers compensation" program if the state concludes that the employer terminated you wrongfully or for no reason." Wrong. Worker's compensation only deals with an employee who is hurt on the job.

7. skeeter1959

skeeter1959

We have "emploment at will" in Texas and it works well here. You can thank the unions if you don't like working in an "at will" state.

I was "downsized" along with 4 others that helped a guy build his company into a $million dollar a year company. Each of us had 13 years invested. We got a severance package and un-employment benefits along with COBRA.

It sucked to be us, but all 5 of us rebuilt our lives elsewhere. I even went to work for his competitor as a paid "consultant" for a while. Really chapped his ass, but employment at will cuts both ways.

8. Tx-SIG229

Tx-SIG229

this must explain why Texas Child Protective Services (when i was there) had something like a 43% turn over rate and also explain why the average CPS investigator only had 6 months experience. yeh mr & mrs tax payer, you're getting your money's worth... no long term benefits to pay your civil servants and then also having to spend more money to constantly hire and train new workers every couple of months while you're getting terrible services from your govnt.

9. FLGatorFan

FLGatorFan

This is a management issue, and has nothing to do with at will employment.

10. CaptCave

CaptCave

If I start/buy/run a company with my money, I can certainly hire and fire anyone I want, for any reason or no reason at all. Wouldn't want to have it any other way.

Now, whether that is a smart decision is another question.

Rarely is anyone fired for "no reason at all" or even "no warning at all". You might not know the reason, or caught the warning, and again, that is mgmt and the company's fault for not have the correct evaluation/feedback polices.

11. vikingsoftpaw

vikingsoftpaw DEPLORABLE ME!

'At Will' can also mean I have no work for you....

12. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

There is no question that there are many motivated, qualified people looking for work: but there are a LOT of incompetent and unmotivated people applying for jobs also.

My experience and the experience of my friends and collegues in other companies is that we are still having a hard time finding good employees.

It is a very serious and frustrating problem.

13. Taphius

Taphius

An employer is not going to spend the resources on hiring you to just up and fire you for no reason.

14. Taphius

Taphius

All those crappy resumes makes it so much more important to tailor your own to match what the employer wants =\ big pita for me right now looking for work.

15. Officer X

Officer X

At will = Kiss butt to get ahead or keep your job.

Even if you do an outstanding job but your boss doesn't care for your: politics, religion, opinions, appearance, etc..., you're gone. Yes, it may be illegal in some regards, but all that needs to be done is some bogus kind of excuse and then it's up to you to try to prove it.

Great way to live when you have standards, go along to get along. I've seen some real shady politics and backstabbing over my career and I've seen some very good people that were targets of personal vendettas saved by civil service and the union.

Nothing in life is perfect, but having some recourse because your boss woke up in a bad mood and didn't like a comment you made and wants you gone is very worthwhile.

16. engineer151515

engineer151515

Yupp.

When engineering is in demand, it's hot.

When not, I've seen graduating classes of 25 engineers where only three found jobs. (Two co-ops and the top GPA).

In the past three years, oil and gas has been hot. Big oil and associated petrochemical are willing to pay for talent because there is a gap where poor market performance did not produce many graduating Chemical Engineers. There is a very distinct manpower gap in available talent in the 35 to 50 year age group and it looks like large corps are trying to reload for the next couple decades. The older engineers are retiring and the numbers of experienced engineers to teach the newbies are dwindling quickly.

<<<< been "at will" my whole career. I've been cut loose with a plant closing. Not a good feeling - you start to feel like its personal. But it's not. Now I have a position much better than the one I lost, so I guess it worked out in the long haul. I hope it does for the OP too.

<<<< have relocated across country and stayed with family while hunting a new job. Took a while, but it worked.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  17. Slug71

Slug71

Thats pretty much how things seem to me at the moment.

18. Slug71

Slug71

Happened to me. What ever reason they do have is likely not true or in twisted form.

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Oil and gas has been hot for a while.

Petrobras is hiring a lot of talent away too (with Obama money).

One of the biggest risks to the oil companies is aging talent. If young smart people today aren't looking at it as a career opportunity they're foolish.

20. Unk

Unk

The limitations to at-will employment termination are usually found in various federal laws on discrimination on a prohibited basis such as race, gender, national origin, and disability to name a few.

Absent that you can be terminated for good reason, bad reason or no reason.

Nothing wrong with "at will"..employers want and need good employees although those needs can and do change. Just remember you own your CAREER and the company owns the JOB. Stay current on skills, save money and meet or exceed your employers performance expectations and you'll be fine.