close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'At Will' employment, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Nov 8, 2012.

1. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    Couldn't at-will employers can someone right before retirement to save money?

2. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

yep....

3. In texas, there are a combination of laws and company policies that protect both parties. On the employee side, you are covered under the "workers compensation" program if the state concludes that the employer terminated you wronfully or for no reason. In that case, you are compensated I believe is 75% of your salary a month which the employer has to pay until you find another job. On the company side, the company can set resignation or quiting policies where they require you to give two week or a month's notice before you leave work if you want to be compensated for whatever vacations or personal time you had accrued or if you plan to work again in that company in the future. Also if the company provided training or schooling within the last year which was paid for by the company, then company has the right to recover or get reinbursed whatever amount the company paid for such training from you if you quit or resign.

4. JW1178

JW1178

Jul 17, 2009
    In many states, like Georgia, most small businesses will "fire" you rather than lay you off because the right wing owners don't think you should be able to collect unemployment.

On one hand, "At will" or "right to work" states, it screws the employees, but at the same time, they are more likely to hire based upon they can terminate you just as easily.

5. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Yeh probably that manager running around lying again.

6. This would be an example of 'don't hate the game, hate the player'

And another representation in the risks inherent in freedom.

Wouldn't have it any other way, you are free to choose poorly as much as wisely, and change your mind at any time for any reason or none at all.

That last sentence can apply equally to employer or employee, not much left like that so savor it while we still have it.

7. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    And I think thats wrong. I don't think a company should be able to play with someones lively hood like that.
    Besides, our government needs the taxes. Not more people on welfare.

8. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    I am an "at will" employee but they also must have "just cause" to fire me.

9. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Which I would be fine with.

10. Why not? An employee could just up and leave taking the skilled labor needed to meet a clients demands on schedule with them when they leave, and it my not be possible to replace them in time to meet the obligations the company made.

As an employee you should find a company that won't do that, and as an employer you should find employees that would pay you the same respect/courtesy.

At will protects from being stuck if you come to realize you are in a situation you don't want to be.

If you'd rather trade liberty for security, you want a union without realizing it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  11. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Agree with your first 3 paragraphs but again, i'm not saying overhaul it.
    Just saying a legitimate reason or one warning before termination would be nice. Everything else can stay the same.

12. stevemc

stevemc

Mar 1, 2009
    You couldn't be more wrong. As an IBEW electrician, I can be laid off at any time for any reason whatsoever. There is no seniority, no review, no federal or state law to comply with, nothing. We have less "rights" than any other working personnel in the country. We also have minimum training requirements, mandatory drug testing, and at least a two year wait for another job if layoff occurs. The negative "union" nonsense people are so willing to believe here is never lacking.

13. frizz

frizz

Jul 6, 2012
    There are problems in employment law, but your assertion is beyond exaggeration and even beyond hyperbole.

Even firing a government worker is not this difficult.

14. dukeguy

dukeguy

Jul 15, 2010
    There is an employer side to this story too. I'm an employer in a right to work state, and a couple of years back had an employee who mishandled a substantial amount of money. It threatened the financial health of the company and was a definite firing offense.

Even in a right to work state, he threatened to take us to court. We ended up giving him a severance package because it was cheaper than defending ourselves in court, even though we would have won hands down.

I know there are situations where employees get mistreated but we don't subscribe to those kinds of tactics. Most employers that I know don't. We give as much notice as we possibly can, give the employee ample time to correct the problem, give them a chance to move laterally if possible, and if all else fails we give a generous severance.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    And I'm asking what about employees?

16. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Exactly.

I love at will employment

So they gave you no reason at all when you were let go? I find that hard to believe. What happened when you went and filed for unemployment? If they disputed it, then they will have to tell why they terminated you. Most employers, they invest enough time/effort in training new employees, they don't just can someone for no reason.

My guess is, you know why you were terminated..

IGF

17. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Sounds fair. Generous even.

18. arclight610

arclight610

Dec 2, 2009
    I suppose. But if I fire an employee the day before they are set to retire, I've already received the maximum amount of utility from them. I "promised" them retirement after X years of service, and they continued to stay for X years - 1 day in hopes of being able to retire. So in essence, I can just "use up" my employees and throw them away when I don't want to meet my end of the bargain.

19. Slug71

Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    They gave me NO reason. I already quoted what the store manager said.
    All I can think of is that one of the managers was running around lying again.

My stats were good. 100% attendance. Attended every meeting. Never violated policy. Got on well with other staff. Did whatever management asked.

I know they didn't like that I got on with staff as well as I did. But all the LP agents did. That staff knew that at any point we may investigate them and would have done so.
    I also know they didn't like the fact I'm dating someone that works there. But they knew that when they hired me into the position.

20. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Oct 1, 2001
    north of the equator
    Absolutely.
    I've never understood those who proclaim that an employer "can't terminate you without good reason".

WTH? If I own a private business I should be able to hire you to give you a try, then terminate you if I decide I just don't want you around because I don't like your attitude, or fire you because of the way your momma dresses you for work.