close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'At Will' employment, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Nov 8, 2012.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

If the union employees are so much more qualified, why would they be sitting around available for work the NEXT DAY? Not just one or two, but 10x the amount I currently have.

Most people that I have employed that have had skill sets above and beyond don't sit around for the day someone decides they need more staff.

You have inadvertantly given away the union secret. They try and limit labor to drive prices up to the point where they would rather have members doing nothing wait to staff up the next day and "help out"

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Jan 21, 2001
    Centerburg, OH
    I completely forgot about that aspect. My union dues was being spent on backing Al Gore, and I was strongly encouraged to vote along those lines. Fortunately, ballots are still secret.

3. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

Jun 25, 2012
    You have no idea how it works now your grasping at straws. The hall has a list of guys available for work. Most union construction workers go from contractor to contractor, job to job. Sometimes its personnel preference, sometimes a job winds down where it doesn't need 100 guys any more, they go on the list. Another contractor needs 50 guys for a few months tomorrow, the ones who have been out the longest get called first. If it so happens our particular local is currently at full employment, we call one of our sister locals, get manpower from them. The reverse applies, if I've been out for a few weeks, and no calls get to me, I can take a call anywhere in the US if I want.
    Some calls may last a day, some 10 years, the member has the option to take or deny calls, but the call will always get filled. Nice try on 'limiting- labor' that makes no sense. Why would we limit what labor a contractor has access to when they are the ones who pay us. We KNOW the contractor must succeed for us to work. If they absolutely need guys for a job we wouldn't risk losing that job or the contractor so we could create a false labor shortage. It would be the opposite, they have access to as much as they need. This is a quick explanation there's obviously more to it that only this, but that's the jist of it
    Some guys wait for overtime calls, work six months or 8 months, make 100k then take the rest off. Some guys hate overtime and avoid calls that ask for it. Some guys want summer off, some winter, some work 40's year round. Some like to travel to other states and work while they're there.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    First off, I am not against hiring union workers as CONTRACTORS. Because once the job is done they leave taking the union along with them. I am against unions permanently in a workplace.

Did you even bother to read my earlier posts in this thread that said that I used to have a job where I belonged to a union, the IBEW specifically along with a very real example of why unions are a problem and not a solution? I bet you either didn't or have no logical response since you had nothing to say about it. All you keep repeating is stuff about illegal mexicans and how union workers have exceptional expertise in their respective field beyond non union workers.

5. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

Jun 25, 2012
    Nope, I didnt read your specific post as I haven't read every page in this thread, so fair point. I'll look for it.

6. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

The one thing I can be thankful for is when I hire an electrician, I will make sure an ask if they have union employees. If they say yes, I will move onto the next contractor and skip the union one.

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    Are you one of the IBEW brothers who works to elect democrat politicians who seek to pass gun laws?

8. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

Jun 25, 2012
    Yes, that's my main objective to find a candidate who is gonna take our guns, even though I'm on here in a gun forum, an NRA member, ccw holder, and avid shooter. Half the republicans are just as bad, so don't give me that bs. There ARE other things to politics besides gun control.

9. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

You are correct. Like voting for politicians who like union busting. There are a few traits I look for in a politician.

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Apr 23, 2008
    Houston
    But your union gives them tens of millions of dollars.

Are you willing to sell your gun rights? Isn't that essentially what you're doing?

11. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

Jun 25, 2012
    That's fine, settle for inferior work. When the fire starts, don't call the fire department, they're probably union. Skip right over POLICE in the phone book also, they could be union.

12. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Sep 12, 2004
    Hilton Head, SC
    Fire depts and police agencies provide services that can't be shopped, unlike trades. We have no control over them.

13. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Jan 21, 2001
    Centerburg, OH
    Have you ever worked in a non-union shop?

14. di11igaf

di11igaf ibew

Jun 25, 2012
    Absolutely, that's where I started.

15. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    Post 135. Its on page 6 for me.

After you read about the ordeal I witnessed at a union job, I would love to hear your opinion on the subject.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  16. Roger1079

Roger1079

Mar 22, 2008
    South FL
    So any work done by a non union shop/employee is inferior to work done by union shops/employees? You don't really believe that do you?

17. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Sep 12, 2004
    Hilton Head, SC
    Of course! Duh!

18. AWoods

AWoods

Dec 20, 2009
    If your workers know that you will close down the business before dealing with unions, then they will have no reason to unionize. That's the best method of giving them no reason.

19. AWoods

AWoods

Dec 20, 2009
    There's a lot of great work done by union workers, and I personally will be happy to do business with companies that have union workers, so long as they do not do crap like GM did:

1. put out ****ty cars, and overcharge
    2. force people to give you their money through threats of prison and violence
    3. repeat steps 1 and 2

This sort of thing is simply evil, and we need to stand up against it.

20. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Sep 12, 2004
    Hilton Head, SC
    Don't shut down. Fire everyone, then hire new employees. In this economy, you could easily cut your payroll by 25% this way.