close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

'At Will' employment, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Slug71, Nov 8, 2012.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

And the next thing you will try to get me to believe is that gold costs more than wood because gold is a scarcer commodity than wood.

You silly capitalists.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Well then.

You should write me a check (with sufficient funds) for $250,000.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

3. minkis18

minkis18

I'd prefer there not be a law for everything. Sure, my company can fire me for anything but I work for Starwood so under their rules it pretty much takes theft or sexual harassment to be fired on first offense.

At will employment makes things easier on the employer too. Fewer hoops and possible lawsuits, and the ability to clean house as needed without extra steps. I do understand that it may hurt employees but if you want, unions can help fill that void. At least then it's your choice and not forced upon us all (I also happen to live in a right-to-work state)

4. Slug71

Slug71

Because we've always parked back there. Pissed off shoplifters can't wait for us outside/see what we drive. Employees don't know when we come or go.
    Management has failed to tell us security issues in the past and we often have transients/bums trying to steal cans from the back and then return them for $$.
    Thats why I asked.

She wanted my left out of the investigation and my partner to go up. Never happened before and he was off the next day. Since we are a team, I would have liked to be briefed too.

I left out the other incident since that happened back in March and I alread mentioned it. And it was a lie. Shouldn't be held against me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  5. Jbar4Ranch

Jbar4Ranch B-Western Hero Millennium Member

It is difficult to dedicate yourself to a company who doesn't dedicate itself to you. I think there should be some safeguards in place to protect a worker from retaliation for off-the-job/off-the-premises pissing matches that have nothing to do with the worker's job performance. I did a very, very good job for my employer, but got canned by a small man with no ethics and no honor who felt he had to get even with me. The Canadian masters hired him to run that store and this old man's career is nothing to them, as long as the $$$ keep rolling in... except it isn't... this particular store has NEVER shown a profit.

The store hasn't been open quite five years yet between when it was Sportsman's Warehouse and its current incarnation as Wholesale Sports and he has fired six managers now, driven off several more, had a couple of 'em go back to hourly to get out from under his thumb, and one retired. The Hunting department is on its fourth manager, Front End is on its fourth manager, Fishing is on its third, Receiving/Shipping on its third, Camping on its second, Clothing on its second, Gift Bar on its second, and Footwear on its second... in LESS THAN FIVE YEARS!

I don't know how on God's Green Earth this could be true, but the store manager once told me it costs an average of $200,000 to train a manager... and he's fired six of us in less than five years... that would be $1.2 million down the drain, according to his figures. Add in the ones that have voluntarily left, combined with the ones currently in the positions and that figure can be boosted to ~$4.5 million.
    I was fired in April, and the last Hunting Manager was just fired on November 6.

The store has never made a profit, and out of 15 stores, our store was tied for last place with the Bismarck store... and WS closed that store almost immediately upon acquisition, leaving the Helena store in last place. Internal corruption is rampant, as per my previous post, and I think there should be some checks in place to protect the workers from the day to day whims of a complete lunatic. Combined with Obama's reelection, I can't really see that store being open a year from now.

6. devildog2067

devildog2067

There are "safeguards" in place.

If you're a good employee and were terminated unfairly, you can go get another job.

If a company keeps behaving that way, they won't be able to get good employees and eventually will go out of business.

The free market is the safeguard.

7. edporch

edporch

As someone who was once laid off with a 1hour notice, I TOTALLY support the right of an employer to hire and fire at will.
    They also have the right to set the pay and hours.

if the worker doesn't like it, they're free to find another place to work where their "genius" is "appreciated".

8. Averageman

Averageman

I have a question for the folks here that might know if this is true.
    I work in a "Right to Work State" but signed my employment documents on a Military Base.
    Now, not very often but once in a blue moon someone from management will say, "It's a right to work state" I always wondered if because some paperwork and all of the work is conducted on post doesn't Federal Law trump State Law in these cases?
    Thanks.

9. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

State employment laws still apply.

10. Halojumper

Halojumper

While Federal law would trump, I don't see how it applies in this case. If right to work was against Federal law, there would be no right to work states.

11. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

I have no problem with it. Anything else makes it far too hard to get rid of the slackers and the people that don't perform.

It's not fair to expect those that work hard already to carry the people that don't. (One of the many reasons that I despise unions.)

12. Z71bill

Z71bill

A "Right to Work State" only means that - even if your company has a union - you can not be forced to join the union / pay dues.

There may be a state or two that considers itself right to work - but they can still make you pay dues - or still make you join but don't have to pay dues. I can't recall - which - all I know is unions suck.

At will employment really has little / nothing to do with right to work. :dunno:

I got a job while in college with a company that had a union.

I was 20 years old - had no real opinion about unions - good or bad.

After my interview as I was leaving - several employees were outside on break. One ask me "how did the interview go" I said pretty good - but you never know.

Then I was told - if you get the job and know what's good for you - you better join the union - if you don't your car will get keyed.

I never liked it when someone told me what I had to do under threat-

I told the guy to F off and he made a move at me - his friends stopped him - good thing I would have beat the everliving snot out of him.

I got the job - never joined the union - my car did get keyed - I eventually did end up beating the everliving snot out of MR Union organizer.

Strange - if they would have just left me alone I may have joined -

So in a way they did me a favor.

Hard for me to understand how any law could be passed that requires you to join an organization and give them part of your paycheck - it is just wrong.

BTW - in case you have not figured it out I am anti-union - in the same way the Pope is anti-abortion.

13. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

whole lotta timecards in a twist up in here......

14. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Touché. Unions served their initial purpose, re: Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle", et. al. I don't necessarily believe in their dismantling, but the cost and deliberate divisiveness that I've witnessed is contrary to everyone's best interests.

15. kat1950

kat1950

Another completely stupid thread, but this is by far the worst site for this kind of BS.

My employees from day 1 are told what they have to do, No Deviation at all, if they have a problem they can come to me and talk, if I feel there is some merit in what they say I would take that into consideration, if not they are Fired.

What employees have to realize is that their job is a privilege, not a right, There are thousands to replace them, especially in this economy.

Oh by the way we have NO communist unions here.

16. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

You missed your calling... you should be a gods damned diplomat.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

:rofl:

18. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Amen!

:thumbsup::agree:

19. HarlDane

HarlDane

Are you saying that you fire employees for making suggestions you don't agree with?

20. Slug71

Slug71

How is it stupid? I raised a legit issue. I was wronged and looking for opinion.
    Yes it is a privilege and not a right. That doesn't mean employers should treat there employees that way. The working class spend more time at work than at home. The economy is also driven by us.

Would you rather have to deal with a union than have give a warning before terminating someone? I would rather have that and do away with unions.