close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

At 54, Want To Learn A New Instrument: Clarinet Or Cello?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OV1kenobi, Jun 19, 2012.

1. OV1kenobi

OV1kenobi

Well, the title basically speaks for itself, but I do need to include a bit of background.

I have never played a stringed instrument before in all my 54 years. I have, however, at one time or another achieved a fairly decent level of competency with bagpipes, recorders, English pennywhistles and Irish tin whistles.

So, I suppose that conventional wisdom might dictate that I should stick with woodwinds: hence, the clarinet.

Still, I am attracted to something completely different. That is why I am looking to the cello, or even the bass.

I am not, however, into self-flagellation. If either the clarinet or cello is so realistically too difficult at this point in my life without heroics, other than proving that I can take a good beating, then by all means be honest and tell me to forget either or both.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and hones topinion, even negative, that you might have to offer.

I would love to one day be able to play Artie Shaw's clarinet solo in "Frenesi."

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I've played some different instruments in my short 24 year old life. Trumpet, drums and guitar. Havnt touched any in years, the most I was proficient at was at the trumpet and that was in middle school band. For me the drums were cool but I kinda lacked the coordination. At one point I was doin pretty good with the guitar playing chords and reading tab.

I have no first hand exsperience with a cello or bass so I can't help you there. I can understand wanting to be different but playing a instrument should be entertaining not boring lol. The two you mention fall into that category for me haha.

All things aside, maybe you should pick up a cheap acoustic guitar, some tab books, watch some YouTube videos and go from there. You really can teach yourself if you have the patience.

3. The Maggy

The Maggy

I learned the Clarinet at a very young age, it was a fun instrument to play and not terribly hard to pick up. You may squeak and squawk a bit as you learn to properly address the reed and ligature but the rest is just simply memorizing which holes you cover to make which note.

Now, I have never played the cello; but these two videos are quiet amazing
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zuU2yYt3Y"]Sail - cello cover - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjOQac1vOEc&list=UUYpdHLYhFchZ1tKO9TaOqWw&index=3&feature=plcp"]2CELLOS (Sulic & Hauser) - Smooth Criminal - YouTube[/ame]

4. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

The cello would be my pick. There is no other more beautiful sounding instrument when played well.

For my Jewish comrades here I am sure they can attest to hearing a cello played at Kol Nidre services.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mgaICZS79Y"]Kol Nidrei Max Bruch (1.st part) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?

Glenda would have played the clarinet, because she was jazzy and hip.

The Wicked Witch of the East would have played the cello - dark, moody, intense.

6. arclight610

arclight610

7. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Went through this same thing late last year. I really wanted to learn to play the cello. I played trombone all through middle and high school so reading bass clef music wasn't going to be a big deal. After researching and watching youtube videos about electric cellos I decided to buy this one

http://www.kkmusicstore.com/cecilio...-style-2-soft-case-bow-accessories-p-410.html

It's light, thin, and easy to carry around with the included case. I bought a couple of different tuners to tune the strings and am very happy with it. I also bought a 10 amp speaker although for practicing I just turn off the battery and listen to the strings. Having the ability to pipe the cello through the speaker is awesome !

There are a lot of electric cello's out there, with the cheaper ones made in China but for the price it's a good instrument for first timers.

8. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

Between those two, my choice would be cello. I'm your age and, as a youngster, was an accomplished musician (All State & Professional). I played keyboard to learn theory & conducting, trumpet to enjoy jazz band. I didn't learn classical guitar until I was 25. It was undoubtedly the nicest "musical thing" I have ever done for myself. Playing now for/with my 2 year-old grandson is pure joy! Have a ball!

9. Detectorist

Detectorist

I think the cello is a beautiful instrument.

Way back in the early 1970s, I was jogging on a beach in Puerto Rico and noticed a somewhat familiar figure walking on the wet sand...

Turns out it was Pablo Casals. We conversed for about 30 minutes. Interesting fellow, to say the least.

10. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

If your intent is simple personal gratification, then go with what your heart tells you. I can tell you that quality cellos can be expensive, and more cumbersome to lug around than a large set of golf clubs.

My father-in-law is a trombonist, and he plays professionally in several local groups. He always said that the one musician who could write their own ticket due to being in demand is an oboist.

11. dango

dango

I can not imagine a world with out music. I have played keyed
    things like piano , organ , the mini moog etc.
    Go for it it's in there , "the blood" so go for it .

Life is short my friend !