close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Asus EEE PC 1000 - Linux

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dandapani, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

Just picked this up from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220369

Asus EEE PC 1000, Intel Atom 10.0" Wide SVGA 1GB Memory 40GB SSD.

Also ordered a 2GB memory card, but it shipped separately and hasn't arrived yet. It seems this will be an easy upgrade in this model. Install memory, simple matter to remove the back plate with a screw driver, then F2 to get to BIOS, enable 2GB, and boot. Some of the older models of EEE required new kernel to see 2GB. We'll verify when the memory arrives today.

I had planned on replacing the Xandros Linux with Ubuntu right away, but was put off by all the tweaking required to get the wireless going. One set of directions I found even suggested using a Windows wireless driver. So I think I will live with Xandros. I did d/l the packages required for "full desktop" switching. That's a nice option.

So far so good. Wireless is flawless sync'ing up quite nicely with my neighbor's open Linksys and with my NetGear G wireless with WPA. I'm pretty satisfied I'll be able to surf from my couch while I recuperate after my prostatectomy next month.

Still playing with functionality. Has a built in web cam. Took a self-portrait and edited it a bit (cut out the rest of the messy bathroom). Image was originally 640x480.

I switch back and forth between Easy Mode and Full Desktop. Some things are "easier" in easy mode :) although I am a Linux guru.

Firefox is curiously version 2. Browsing GT will take a bit of practice on the tight screen space. (This was posted from my desktop machine. I'll follow up with a post from the EEE.)

Questions, comments?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

If you download ubuntu-eee, you shouldn't have to tweak at all to get the wireless going. It has a custom kernel and the driver is in the kernel. I didn't use the version of Xandros that came w/ them to much, but Ubuntu-eee seems to work fine.... Boot it from a thumb drive and see if your

I like my eee, and hope you do to.. :)

IGF

3. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

Boot from thumbdrive. Good idea. I'll try that over the weekend. I'm trying to get Juniper SSL VPN up and running, but apparently there are things "missing" that are expected like rpm and modprobe tun. I've read that Ubuntu doesn't have these same problems. Thanks!

4. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

IGF, before I received my EEE, I d/l an ubuntu-eee iso, and followed a set of instructions to make a bootable thumbdrive. I've not booted it yet, but it was described as an "installing" setup. Will this same thumbdrive s/w let me just run it live? (I know, boot it and try it :)

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Yup, the iso is "Live"... I don't know what instructions you followed to get it working, but the easiest thing to use is Unetbootin.. (you could use your main PC to set up the thumb drive)

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

6. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't get it to run under Fedora. I followed the alternative manual instructions. I'll give it a go then. Thanks.

7. The Pontificator

The Pontificator
    Expand Collapse
    Angry Samoan

Does the bluetooth feature on your eee PC allow you to tether your netbook to your cellphone? Can you do wireless broadband that way?

8. The Pontificator

The Pontificator
    Expand Collapse
    Angry Samoan

Are Ubuntu eee and Ubuntu Netbook Remix the same thing?

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Nebtook Remix, is the GUI, .... I don't know how to explain it other than calling it a "control panel" GUI Click a section on the left, Icons go on the right and you open the program you want. Its easily disabled and then you can use a traditional Gnome/KDE/Xfce/Whatever environment.... I guess there could be a version called NBR, but I've not saw nor heard of it.

Probably very similar to the version of Xandros' that comes on the Aspire One

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

Thats weird.. worked fine for me on my Debian box. I've actually used it to setup several thumb drives...

Pont.. As for the bluetooth, I have no idea.. I don't do bluetooth, and my cell phone is kinda weird, as I can only make phone calls with it.. :)

IGF

11. The Pontificator

The Pontificator
    Expand Collapse
    Angry Samoan

Aspire One uses Linpus Linux Lite, not Xandros.

12. Matt VDW

Matt VDW
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

How is the battery life?

13. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

I can link my phone and EEE via bluetooth. I only tried to copy files. I didn't notice the ability to run internet as I don't have data service on my phone. Good question.

14. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

Fedora != Debian :rofl:

I forget the missing features the utility was looking for. Fedora is RPM based if that makes a difference.

15. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

At least 6 hours. I think the claims are 7.5 hours. I haven't measured it. The manual says the time will get better as the battery is broken in.

Keep in mind that this unit doesn't have HDD, but rather SSD.

16. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

I booted up ubuntu-eee off the thumbdrive I had created. Looks nice. Took a few pokes to figure it out. The GUI is different than what I remembered last time I booted an Ubuntu. I guess someone created a nice "easy" interface for the EEE. Wireless came right up. Did have one small scare. After it booted, it started into an "install" dialog, but I was able to 'cancel' my way back to the desktop. Looks nice. FF 3 is there.

I'll stick with the Xandros for now, but its nice having an option to fall back on. Thanks for the nudge, IGF.

(I just installed a basic compilation system on the EEE Xandros. I want to install sshfs/fuse so that I can access my desktop Linux box from the kitchen on the EEE.)

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

You can disable that GUI and use a normal Gnome interface if thats what you like..... but glad your happy w/ Xandros.

IGF

18. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

Well, I wouldn't say I was happy. I just wanted to BE happy with Xandros, but alas, it's not working for me. I did get the compilation system loaded, but I couldn't configure and build sshfs as pkg-config was missing. I loaded that, then a bunch of dependencies were missing. I couldn't find dev packages for the libraries sshfs uses in the standard or extended repositories.

I'll play another week with Xandros and then I may have to jump over to ubuntu for the extra flexibility it provides.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I can't remember if its on Ubuntu-eee or not, but Regular Ubuntu has an SSH utility that is on the base install..

Good luck..

IGF

20. Dandapani

Dandapani
    Expand Collapse

SSH is standard on Xandros. I can ssh to my desktop. sshfs-fuse allows a user level filesystem to be created over the ssh channel. This would allow me to access my desktop files more seamless from the EEE. sshfs isn't a standard package in any of the repositories I could find. I'm not much of a debian Linux guy, more into rpm (Redhat). Been using RH derivatives since RH 7.3.