close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Assisting an officer

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by GOCANES, May 14, 2011.

1. GOCANES

GOCANES

Sep 16, 2009
    What is the best and safest way for a citizen to intervine when attempting to assist an officer who is in immediate need of assistance against an aggressor. I am the good guy and I may or may not be armed, what are my limitations, and how should I announce my intentions, ect.

2. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    If you open carry, we'll automatically know you're the good guy...

3. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    I don't know if there is a best and safest way, as you choose to get involved. If a cop is in a tangle on the ground with a perp and it doesn't look good, In my mind a quick "I'm here to help" and a grab on the perp in essential areas (to me the neck) that would assist the officer in getting control of the situation. At that point I'll would comply with commands from the officer to assist in securing the aggressor.

This is Monday morning QB by the way.

4. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    If the officer is down do whatever you need to in order to get the BG off of him. If he is struggling with a suspect, then ask very loudly "Officer do you need assistance?" if he says yes then by all means assist him in getting the person he is struggling with under control.

5. In my state, if a officer asks for assistance or indicates a need for assistance from a civilian, that civilian automatically becomes deputized until the assistance is no longer needed.

Some time ago I was slamming down the highway on my Harley looking like a devoted Harley rider would appear to look like. And there on the side of the road was a trooper in a tussle, and not doing will, with a dude on a warrant who was intent on not going to jail.

I came to a tire screeching halt and got in to the action, while the GF who was with me stood watching in a state of shock.

There was not any time for formalities between myself and the trooper, the action was pretty hot at the moment but the trooper knew dam well I was there to help and it was in the nick of time. My other Harley brothers came upon the roadside excitement and stopped because of seeing me stopped.

Then the trooper had about 6 other bad ass bikers as backups to assist in his action. Two of us were LEOs BTW, we were in a state outside of our home state but the trooper was just as glad we were there.

6. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    If possible, a clear concise question such as "Trooper/Officer, can I help you?" or something similar would be a good start? However, there may be a time where words are not an option. As long as your words/actions show that you are on the LEO's side, you should be fine. I've responded to an officer assistance call a few times where citizens were just standing around watching the action. Unfortunately, the officer was on the losing end at that time, and they didn't want to get involved. I'll save my rant on that one for another time.

racer11, you're a good man for stopping and helping that Trooper.

Be safe!

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  7. ray9898

ray9898

May 29, 2001
    Georgia
    There is no blanket answer. The easiest way to alert the officer you are there to help is a simple "Officer do you need help". If I do you can bet I will ask for it.

As for limitations, each state is different. In GA you must follow the standard laws for using force in defense of others which must be reasonable for the situation. For example if I am fighting you are clear to use any appropriate physical force. If I am wrestling to keep from getting stabbed you would be justified in deadly force. You are also given immunity criminally and civilly for your actions.

8. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    To piggyback on what others have said, I think the most important thing you can do is LOUDLY VERBALIZE your intentions.

This can prevent a bad scene from getting a whole lot worse. God forbid the copper think you are one of the scroat's buddies there to assist the scroat in delivering an ass-whooping...

Then, follow through with maximum agressiveness, and de-escalate once the officer has the suspect secured, and stick around to give a witness statement and accept the thanks of the officer.

9. ViperGlock

ViperGlock

Apr 2, 2011

What if the guy had to pull your gun to help you and he had a felony record. Does he get arrested?

10. DaBigBR

DaBigBR No Infidels!

Oct 28, 2005
    Circling the wagons.
    If it's really, really dire...just kick the bad guy in the face. We'll know which team you're on.

11. Dragoon44

Apr 30, 2005
    There is an actual case of just that happening, IIRC it was in New Hampshire, a motorist killed an officer shooting him in the back, another motorist arriving on the scene retrieved the officers gun and killed the attacker. He was a Felon that could not legally posses a gun. No charges were filed against him.

12. Dragoon44

Apr 30, 2005
    And if you are wearing steel toed boots so much the better.

:supergrin:

13. Detectorist

Detectorist

Jul 16, 2008
    Missouri
    Way back in 1977ish, I had an opportunity to assist a German Police Officer. He was on the side of the road with this 500lb drunk guy on top of him. The BG had the Officer's arms pinned. I got out of the jeep and told my driver to watch my back. He had a loaded M16. I forget what I hit the BG with, either my flashlight or tire iron but it didn't have any effect. I hit him again and he then rolled over and the Cop was able to get up. He wasn't injured. While I was giving the Cop my phone number, about 10 more cops showed up. All I could see when I was leaving was a bunch of very heavy boots kicking something on the ground. I don't think the BG will ever screw with a Cop again...

The Officer's supervisor, maybe a Captain came by the base I was stationed at and thanked me and gave me some type of certificate. I honestly think the cop would have suffocated under that very fat man if I hadn't driven by.

14. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004

The Department of Homeland Security declared him a domestic terrorist, BATFE indicted him on conspiracy to possess an illegal weapon, and the Department of Justice prosecuted him for deprivation of the suspect's civil rights.

:tongueout:

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Exactly this.

16. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    There's video of that... after a short pursuit, the cop maces the suspect while still in the driver's seat and then inexplicably turns and walks back to his cruiser, then takes rounds to the back. Passerby picks up cop's gun and smokes the dirtbag. I thought the passerby was a Marine... but I guess he might've been a felon. The suspect was the relative of some pro athlete... I'll have to look for that video.

17. Joseph Wambaugh fan,eh?

18. Dragoon44

Apr 30, 2005
    nonsense, he was just assisting him in exercising his right to remain silent.

Like, Forever.

:supergrin::wavey:

19. Dragoon44

Apr 30, 2005
    I am pretty sure he was an ex marine but had some kind of felony conviction or restraining order against him where he was not allowed to have firearms.