close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ASP/Baton...any place in preps?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by emt1581, May 21, 2012.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Anyone have one as a citizen/civilian/non-LEO?

Where does it fit into your preps from EDC all the way to TEOTWAWKI....??

Thanks

-Emt1581

2. thesurefire

thesurefire

I dont really see any value in it for SHTF. If the person isnt really dangerous but might be a threat, handcuffs and/or legcuffs should be enough. If they are dangerous you probably want either something lethal or at least something more effective than a small metal rod.

If you're walking around in a warzone what would you rather have, a stick or a gun? I see why police officers carry them, but I also see why our military sticks to firearms. I dont plan to ever play cop.

Last edited: May 23, 2012

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I wasn't implying anything about playing cop if it came across that way. I was thinking more along the lines of a quiet weapon with the potential to be used to disable or kill (lethal/non-lethal) quietly. It can also be used to gain leverage in certain situations (with objects not people). Good for smashing things (windows, etc.).

Again, just curious what use they may have and if anyone has tucked one away or carries one?

Thanks

-Emt1581

4. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Yes...I have several (expandable batons).

I like them because they are fairly quiet, compact, many applications (non-lethal to lethal), other uses as well.

Need to check possession/carry/use laws in your area..

..in untrained hands it can be considered a lethal weapon...IIRC!

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  5. thesurefire

thesurefire

Sorry, I didnt mean to imply that. What I meant was batons are most often used to disable or cause discomfort and not kill. I can see the value for breaking windows or prying things but I think a crowbar would more useful, and if worse comes to worse you can always use the crowbar as a weapon.

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Where do you order them from?

I'd like to pick one up and give it a try.

Thanks

-Emt1581

7. 4Rules

4Rules

As mentioned, issues that need to be considered include certified training in it's use and the legality of carrying it concealed. If you have obtained recent training, and it's legal for you to carry, it could add value, but...if improperly used, a baton can be lethal, and many states, in their CCW permitting, do not include weapons other than firearms.

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Opticsplanet has them.

I never realized there were so many different versions and exponentially more accessories for them. Yikes!!

Which to try which to try??

-Emt1581

9. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Useless for a lot of applications. If you want a short stick, use a short stick, if you want a baton, carry a baton. When SHTF, who cares if you have a full sized baton on you?

I carried an ASP when it first came out and was the fashionable stick to have as a cop, and then I used it... and went back to the good ole hickory stick.

10. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

ASP's are crap. Obviously better than nothing, but a good jack is 100x better. You're going to get the same rap if you're caught with one, but an asp is a pain compliance tool. A jack will put someone in a home.

[​IMG]

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

The knife will put him in the morgue.

12. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

Yes...an ASP can be used as a pain compliance tool..

..or in your words "put someone in a home"..

..or enable someone to meet their maker! :shocked:

Dealer's Choice! :whistling:

It also can accomplish all of the above & more..

.. with a stand-off distance that a sap or knife does not!

YMMV

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  13. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

I got one as a present in the 90s, I carry it in my commuter bag as a prep but not for what one might think. We live in earthquake country, and on any given day there's a chance I'll have to walk 15 miles home as the crow flies after a major disaster (if I survive the initial quake). A few months ago I decided to start carrying the Asp baton as an all-purpose tool for rescue, leverage, emergency exit from public transportation...I can think of several scenarios it might be handier to have on me than sitting in the back of the safe. Not too many of them are self defense related, though: with the PPS and two knives on board the Asp is low on the go-to list for me.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

14. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

I've used them on duty as well as a civvie, ASP's are not junk. I've beat one that i"ve had for years on cars as well as walls and suspects as few times and it still works fine. I still carry a 26" nickled model daily, i have had to pull it on a few A holes in the last few years but no strike was needed.

15. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

my $.02, I work in a prison, we have them... However I've never seen one used. Incase of fights they don't even get pulled out. People just fight the way you have your entire life vs trying to use something different.

So if you actually want one, IMO you'd have to get very accustomed to using it to the point where it was second nature.

16. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

The asp and baton are tools of control and compliance. Tools of the state. No place in an individual preppers toolbox. Unless of course you were thinking of setting up your own state, complete with regulatory and tax regimes. Then you would need batons and a crew of guys to wield them.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've got the large model. That is easily a bone/skull crusher.

However, I think ASPs may be legal to carry in PA whereas blackjacks are not AFAIK.

-Emt1581

18. Pardoner

Pardoner

+100

I have carried and used several types of expandable batons over the years. Most of the expandable batons are too light to cause any significant "discomfort". They don't come even close to the force you can deliver with a real fixed baton.

They are TERRIBLE for prying. You will end up bending it and then you have a crappy fixed baton.

19. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've never carried one. But I do have a cheap one I paid $2 for at a flea market. That thing will break bone!

Saying these things will only cause discomfort makes them sound like toys to me. I can't speak for ASP's but the expandable one I have is good to go....just cheap and no frills.

-Emt1581

20. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

I've see too many videos where a LEO is beating some large drunken fool with an ASP, and the fool just stands there and laughs at the cop.

Last edited: May 22, 2012