Arson Investigators

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by CJStudent, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Arson investigation is incredibly interesting. About 15 years ago my department had a retired NYFD arson investigator / fire marshal (I don't remember if they are the same thing in NYC or not) give a presentation - it was fascinating. He had an incredible slide show, using photos from fire scenes. Two things I always remember from that -- 1. Don't EVER move or touch things on scene that may be related to starting a fire, such a fuel cans, rags, bundles of paper or wood, etc. Make sure the Fire Marshall knows about them. 2. He told a story of a fire that gutted a small house. The FD put out the fire and drove away. One week later a private demolition contractor hired by the bank showed up to remove what was left of the house - and they found a burned body. It was the homeowner, a retired guy with no family, and no one knew he had been in the house. Lesson? Always do a thorough overhaul, check everything and especially everywhere.

Don't mean to go off track with the thread, your post just reminded me of that presentation!

2. That is interesting!

3. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

Would I have to move to Kentucky?

Sent by psychic paper from the TARDIS.

4. Commuting distance to wherever your duty location is, I suppose. I don't think there's a residency requirement, though.

5. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

D'oh!

Sent by psychic paper from the Tardis

6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

18 months before I can pension here but I already purchased a place in Florida.

#7 hotpig, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Did it for 24.5 years, Alabama State Fire Marshal's Office. Incredible career~

8. That always sounded like a cool job. Part science part art.

I met the one in South Salt Lake a few times. He also did safety inspections of our gas stations. He loved his job.

9. I just started training this year. It's going to be a long haul to become qualified and competent! There are soooo many aspects of investigation to know/learn. Quite daunting when you start looking at the totality of the required training. Going to have to take small bites to finish THAT elephant!

10. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766
    CLM

My training was spread apart. I took the Certified Fire Investigator class in 1992. I then went to the Police Academy in 1997 for the Arson Investigator Certification.

Since the CEU are the same I recertify on both.

11. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Get NFPA 921. It's the current standard now especially for lawyers on cross exam.