close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Arsenal SGL31-61 price check..

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Queen Bee, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Sep 17, 2011
    ive been thinking about getting an ak-74 , and so far from reading alot of people like the arsenal brand of AK.

i know these are not made anymore.. but a store near me has a 61, for $940.

do you think its worth the extra cost to pick it up?

ive decided that i like the AK platform more than the AR platform.. and this would be a first rifle, i chose the 74 due to the smaller cartridge and less recoil.. what do you think?

2. maxxmojo

maxxmojo

Oct 3, 2005
    Utah
    $940 is a bit much for a 61, sounds like they're selling into the election hype. I personally wouldn't pay more than $800 for fixed stock SGL. You may need to keep an eye out on the secondary market. You might also want to wait until after the election/beginning of the year when the new batch comes in.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Sep 17, 2011
    Good news seeing an sgl31-61 online for 700$ thinking about bidding on it. Its used with 600 rounds through it. Any thoughts to buying a used one thru the net? The outside looks clean but i have no clue his maintenance routine with corrosive ammo

4. never enough

never enough

Sep 15, 2011
    Around what I paid for mine as well

5. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    Buying AKs used is generally a pretty safe bet since they are so durable, definitely a really good way to save a couple hundred dollars. Have him take pictures of the inside of the barrel and gas tube so you can see if there is any rust/corrosion.

6. mgentry

mgentry

Nov 21, 2010
    Mississippi
    Feel free to disagree but because of the price of ammo (even mil surp) people have started shying a way from this caliber. When the military surplus is gone the price will be pretty expensive for ammo even for the 7.62X39 too.

Arsenal makes a very nice AK. I have two and they are well made, reliable and accurate. I really like mine - I don't think you will go wrong with an Arsenal. I have two SGL21s. The first Arsenal I got was $700 (about a year ago) and the last one was $850.

Remember, November is driving the price of guns and ammo up.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  7. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    7.62x39 surplus is already pretty well dried up, but the price has stayed pretty steady(at least in my area).

8. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Sep 17, 2011
    My friend is steering me torwards one of the 5.56/.223 AK variant rifles , mainly because of ammo availability.

he does have a point.. does arsenal make a domestic caliber version?

9. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    slr-106

10. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

Dec 17, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    If you're buying with ammo as a focus, there will be a steady supply of 7.62x39 for a long long time. It is the most common commie ammo for rifles....really, compared to most other calibers, $0.22 cents a round isn't bad (you can get a hundred rounds for about this price if you look around a bit). It has been fairly stable for the last year or two.

I personally like the 7.62x39 because it packs a good punch. (plus the low price)

p.s. Thumbs up for Arsenal. I have an SGL21-94 (folding stock) that is sweeeeeet.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  11. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Sep 17, 2011
    i told him the only downside of the 5.56 version is the specialized magazines, and here in Massachusetts since there are no pre-ban 5.56 ak mags, like there are with the ak-74 mags .. it limits me to 10 rounds.

god i hate this state.. lol

buy anything you want, as long as it has little tiny low cap magazines, unless pre-ban.

so now im back to flopping to the 5.45 again... im so confused.

if i buy the 5.56, i know ammo for the SLR-106 (thanks HWI). will be plenty , but i will be stuck with a 10 shot gun basically. but if times become hard and i need ammo i can find some.

If i go with the 5.45, it means i can have my 30 round pre-ban's, but i will have to stock up quite a bit of 5.45. and in a long drought of imported ammo .. that gun becomes useless..

im not a fan of the 7.62, i like the lighter recoiling calibers. which is why i stick with 9mm, for my handguns.

12. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    Out of curiosity, how do they know if it's preban or not?
    I am not in a communist state, so excuse my ignorance. :p

13. maxxmojo

maxxmojo

Oct 3, 2005
    Utah
    In my opinion the "ammo availability" argument isn't a very valid one. If you're going to go with a specific caliber choose it because you like it's ballistics. If/when you stock up enough ammo the whole "availability" thing is nil.

That SGL you saw for $700 should be ok. I'd call 600 rounds fired just breaking it in. As mentioned if you're concerned about damage from corrosive ammo ask the seller for some photo's of the insides.

14. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Sep 17, 2011

well for glock mags its easier to ID pre-ban.

i guess technically, most AK "metal mags" don't have a date so its impossible to tell, but the plastic pmags, the clear ones , etc, i wouldn't want to get caught with those in my state.

basically if they look like old AK metal mags, it will pass scrutiny, but i doubt plastic waffle mags are going to..

15. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    There are steel 5.56 AK mags, I know the Yugos and E. Germans produced them, just not sure of their compatibility with other AK platforms.

16. Queen Bee

Queen Bee

Sep 17, 2011
    Thank you for helping me now search for a good deal on an Arsenal 106. :)

Im going just go with that caliber since its readily available . And hide some "pre-ban" mags

Ammo availability was a factor that my friend brought up if you had to scrounge a desolate town for .223/5.56 or 5.45 .. Your going to find american made ammo more readily for your rifle.

17. HWI

HWI

Jun 7, 2012
    Florida
    The best deal I found for a new SLR-106 was from grabagun.com. They have the SLR106-31 for like $950.

I got mine used for $850 shipped, only 250 rounds through it, triangle folder, and a couple mags.
    If you are willing to post up some WTB ads on gun forums and wait a week or two then you could probably get a better deal than buying one new.