Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

AR's that hold their value?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Just_plinking, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    Let me start this off by throwing out a disclaimer. I don't know anything about AR's and I dug around a little for the information I was looking for, but didn't find it. It's probably here somewhere, but I wasn't sure what terms to use in my search so anyway... here goes.

I've always wanted an ar, but never got around to buying one. Just couldn't justify spending the $'s on a toy that I wouldn't get around to using much. currently I'm convinced that I'd like to have one stashed in the closet just in case I don't have the option of acquiring one in the future (yeah I'm one of the jerks causing a run.. I admit it, that's not what this thread is about).

So to the point, I want to pick up an ar. I'd be using money from savings. The plan would be to leave it new in the box so that even though I took money from savings, if I wanted I could sell it and put the money back if I had to without loosing a lot. I want to keep it as cheap as possible, but also want a gun that's not junk.

I'm assuming buying a bottom of the barrel bushmaster or something wouldn't be a good choice.

So, in short, what brands and models would fit the bill, what should I stay away from. Or, am I poorly informed in gerneral, and thinking about this all wrong. As I said, i'm new to ar's and there's a lot of them out there so any input would be appreciated, thanks.
  2. themighty9mm

Sep 19, 2008
    So your buying it, so you can at a later time sell it for less? Ar's as a general rule dont go up much in value. Maybe post election depending on who it is. But if you dont find a buyer you will be stuck with it. In your case your going to want name recognition. Go with colt, pick any model

3. For the masses there is only one AR that will hold it's value. It is not the best, it is far from the worst, but it is the only one with a name folks will recognize and you will be able to sell to anyone.

You can probably make your money back off of nearly any name, but only in the gun circles. A Colt will sell to anyone that isn't a pinko commie liberal. And maybe even to some of them.
  4. Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    No I want one in general, and wouldn't PLAN on selling it, but if I can pick one that will be easier to sell w/o loosing much it's easier for me to justify. $1k is change for some people, but sadly i'm not currently one of those. Anyhow thanks for your advice.
  5. jwhite75

jwhite75 Gubmint Worker

Jan 6, 2009
    Dub V

Everybody knows Colt. Most uneducated think the AR and M-16 are proprietary Colt.

Thats why I bought mine. LOL
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    Thanks, I wasn't sure if that was the case or not, but it makes sense.
  7. Yep, there are a half dozen really top-tier ARs, but the one that everyone knows is, of course, Colt. Colt will likely hold it's value better than any other brand through sheer name recognition...a name that most people associate with quality.
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  8. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nov 19, 2008
    St. Joseph MO
    I'd have to give the vote to Colt as well for the same reasons others have posted...Brand recognition.
    You may spend a bit more for a high end rifle, but you wont lose as much as you would buying garbage. If you're taking the "just in case" thing seriously, my advice would be to get a Colt 6720 or 6920, a case of ammo, and sign up for a carbine course. A little training with your rifle will go a long way in a "just in case" scenario.
  9. DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you buy one to sale, buy one of the good brands and sell near election time.
  10. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    As a investment gun, as said Colt is the way to go. If your getting a gun you are planning on shooting and keeping, you can save yourself a lot of money by getting a stripped lower and a PSA rifle kit.
  11. mixflip

Mar 4, 2009
    Well said guys. Not the best, not the worst... but the most well known is Colt. That makes it valuable and easy to sell in it self.

My father in law bought a Colt SP1 slabside in 1975 for $275. I think it as gone up in value.
  12. COLT is your best choice. If you have bought and sold guns in the past, you know that most sell for far less than what was originally paid. It appears that COLT holds the best percentage of value.

As an example I bought a tricked out Noveske (like new), with a retail value of $2800+, for $1600 and a basic like-new N4 Noveske for $850, which was about 65% of its original price. A COLT may lose money, but in my experience, it'll happen at a lesser pace.
  13. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    Things have changed since 1975. I don't anticipate an AR-15 to keep up with the cost of living increases.

Just think how much that gun would be worth if he had spend $200 more and registered it as a machine gun.:shocked:

But if I was buying something with the intention of would be a colt.
  14. Jameson4all

May 31, 2011
    Colt defense LE versions will hold their value really well. LMT is another good one, not sure how they hold up value wise tho.
  15. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    As I recently said in another thread, the idea of buying a modern, mass-produced AR as an "investment" seems silly to me. If you want investment guns, start looking at pre-86 transferable MGs, or some of the rarer C&R firearms out there.
  16. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    DPMS seems to hold their value,.........

17. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nov 19, 2008
    St. Joseph MO
    I wasn't aware DPOS had any value in the first place. :D
  18. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I agree with that the Colt LE versions will hold their value and might even appreciate over time so long as they don't crank them out again for civilian population. Time will tell I guess.

19. RatDrall

May 23, 2009
    1. Don't buy a bottom of the barrel, corner cutter special

2. Don't overpay in the first place

Do those, especially number 2, and your AR should be worth what you paid for it, if you take care of it.
  20. Just_plinking

Jan 24, 2012
    When I made this thread, I knew colt was a big name in AR's, but didn't realize it was that much better known then the others. I honestly expected a short list of rifles that would be a good bet, colt being among them. From the responses it seems that the colt is the best bet.

If there was a short list of budget ar's what would be among them? Thanks