close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Arredondo mag extension

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by txpitdog, Mar 17, 2011.

1. txpitdog

txpitdog

Aug 18, 2006
    I test fired my modified 20SF yesterday with a new +5 mag extension. Loaded the mag with 20 Hornady 180gr XTP's, and got fail to feed malfunctions in the first 3 rounds. I emptied 10 rounds from the mag and fired them with no problem from a stock mag. Then fired the remaining 7rds in the Arredondo equipped mag with no problems. I think the new mag spring is too tight. Any suggestions to break it in? Should I load it with 20 rounds and let it sit or is there a better method?

2. oceanbob

oceanbob

Jun 26, 2010
    But I only load 19 rounds. 20 is just to tight for my G20 to ratchet and cycle those first couple of rounds.

The spring is strong on these extensions. They work very well; just load 19 rounds of range ammo and it will work fine.

Same rules for the 9/.40 extensions on my G19 and G23. One less round makes a difference.

[​IMG]

3. I had no issues with mine in my G29SF. The springs are stiff.

4. I read somewhere about someone having this type of a problem and they found out that the followers were catching on the transition from the extension to the mag. Rounded out the edges of the follower and that fixed it.

5. oceanbob

oceanbob

Jun 26, 2010
    There is no transition area to worry about with the Arredondo product.

You're thinking about the KRISS supermag extension (early models)

6. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Feb 28, 2001
    Midwest
    I installed a +5 Arredondo extension unit on a G20 mag. It was extremely stiff, but now I can load it to a full 20-rds, plus one in the chamber. It functions fine.

I left it loaded w/ 20rds for about 3-weeks and then last weekend at the range, I fired off 21 consecutive rds without a hitch. These were all HOT 180gn reloads (about 1300fps).

I've got two more Arredondo +5rd extensions on order. I'm hoping the springs will take a set over time, like the first one.

That'll be 3 mags stuffed with 20-rds each, plus 1 in the chamber to go ...

61rds x Real Deal 10mm ammo = A TOTAL AWESOMENESS OF NO B.S. FIREPOWER ...

:perfect10:
    [​IMG]

:cool:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  7. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    I EDC two mags with the +5's on them. They worked great with my 45, from the start. i did have some issues like above at first with the 10mm, however. they would cause stoppages until about 8 rounds into the mag, and sometimes the follower, spring would hang up and eliminate tension on the rounds. I found that swapping mag bodies helped.
    shoot the hell out of them, and they will break inm, that spring is pretty strong and needs some exersize to work well. These are my favorite mags, as not only do thay hold many rounds, they are easy to disasemble and clean.

8. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Nov 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I usually load the new mags to full capacity and let them sit for a couple days. Then I'll download 2 rounds every couple days till empty and repeat process until I don't have to use a vise to get the last round in. This method seems to work well along with just normal cycling when shooting.

9. cigarman454

cigarman454

Feb 5, 2011
    Indiana
    Where are you guys getting these?

Thanks

10. Maine1

Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    Maine
    I got mine @ dillion. $35 bucks, but they are a quality product that lasts.

11. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    Theyre $39.95 now! ridiculous!

12. oceanbob

oceanbob

Jun 26, 2010
  13. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

Apr 13, 2004
    Wichita, KS
    I think the Arredondo's are awesome, however, I can't help but think it might be more cost effective to simply buy a few more stock G20 mags. Hmmmm decisions decisions...

14. nismochasse

nismochasse

Sep 15, 2010
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=154&CAT=36 Here they are for $34.95. Thinking about it. Haven't talked myself into buying one yet.

NickE10mm: I think the +5 would be useful for backpacking/camping, which is why I am considering it. Also for backup house/car mag, possibly. But then cost effectiveness comes into play when I could have 2x 15 round mags or 1x 20 round mag. I couldn't carry with it though. It's already hard enough concealing the G20 with the 15 round mag.

15. crsuribe

crsuribe 10mm Auto

Jul 3, 2010
    OH
    Its kinda like the 25round steel lips for the 10/22 they always jam a lot for me until I have about 200rounds through them, then they're golden and reliable as hell.

Break them in with patience and I'm almost completely sure that you will be fine!