Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Army Shifts from Green to Blue

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Blitzer, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Army Shifts from Green to Blue

:dunno: :whistling: :wow:
  2. Tx-G30

Jun 3, 2008
    Beaumont, Texas
    did the army just adopt airfarce hand-me-downs?

have to admit, it does look pretty sharp.

3. I dunno, that band camp stripe on the pants . . .
  4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Traditional Army colors from the Continental Army up until the Spanish American War.
  5. RichardB

RichardB Silver Member

Jul 29, 2007
    I remember when the Army Green uniform replaced the olive drab short "Ike" jackets and wool pants for enlisted men, there were many who complained that the new green uniform looked too much like a bus drivers outfit or circus ringmasters costume.

It's not my problem today, but I'll bet the tongues are working overtime in the "Green (soon to be Blue) Machine".

Jul 16, 2008
    JBLM, WA
    i actually like the ASU. it looks pretty snazzy IMO and it means i'll worry about one less uniform. i will miss the greens and prefer if my current unit was represented in the ASU. but i'll manage either way for the 2 or 3 times a year when i'll wear it.
  7. Norman

Norman Non nobis CLM

Oct 29, 2004
    I'm so used to the green dress uniform with matching pants, and the light green shirts...

This will take some time for me to get used to. But I suppose if it's a return to the original colors, I guess it's better. That blue shirt though, God, it looks too much like the Air Force.

Jul 16, 2008
    JBLM, WA
    no worries on the shirt its white not blue

Jul 16, 2008
    JBLM, WA
    its all apart of the recent trends. everyones getting new uniforms. the navy is even talking about going back to the kahki service dress. af is talking about bringing back the "old" service dress hap arnold style jacket (although i dont know if you can really consider that OLD).
  10. dox1842

Oct 31, 2006
    savannah, GA
    bleh, I like the greens more. How many uniforms does a junior enlisted army soldier have total?? Im in the navy and we have like 6 uniforms.

Jul 16, 2008
    JBLM, WA
    most junior enlist have currently have two, ACUs and the greens. at this time junior enlisted are not REQUIRED to have dress blues. but w/ the introduction of the ASU EVERYONE will be required to have two, ACUs and ASU (i'm not sure who, if any, is REQUIRED to have the short mess dress coat).
  12. Uhh...Maybe I'm just not seeing the history here or anything, but the uniform just seems out of place to me.

Especially the NCO uniforms, as they seem to be the biggest hodge-podge. The Male NCO wears a Class B shirt, dress blue pants with gold stripe, and combat boots? :shocked:

Not to mention the beret, but that's a decade-old gripe...

Jul 16, 2008
    JBLM, WA
  14. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    In wish the army went to khaki rather than blue for a class A and B uniform.
  15. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    wasnt the Army the same branch that decided to be fair and equitable and give EVERYBODY berets?

so now instead of the issue of a G.B. to signify that one is above the cut substantially, they give them to everyone but just in a different color as to not have anyone feel left out....

16. Yes, that's right.

1.) Green — Special Forces Regiment (18x MOS)

2.) Tan — 75th Ranger Regiment (Qualified Ranger)

3.) Maroon — Airborne Units

4.) Black — The US Army (Not covered above.)

The only two that are not earned and are issues are numbers (3) and (4)

I don't count (# 3) as earned because all soldiers in assigned to an Airborne unit. wear the maroon beret. It's not restricted to qualified Paratroopers.
  17. If you are a career officer and/or senior NCO you will need a Mess Dress uniform sooner or later in your career. This is especially true, for Officers. Today's military have many more formal occasions then in the distant past. The Mess Dress, is really the Armies Tux for Black tie and/or White tie (w/White Vest) occasions.

Most commands will insist that assigned Officers, have a Mess Dress along with CSMs, SMs and E-8s. Other ranks may get more slack, especially E-5s and below. It all depends on your units and superior officers. Otherwise your evaluation may suffer some hits.
  18. Hooah

Apr 4, 2006
    Only people that are authorized to wear maroon, tan, green berets can wear the boots.
  19. Dean

Nov 4, 2006
    A WHITE SHIRT all the time?
    The division crest and special duty badge - drill sgt - worn on the women's uniform way down by the beltline is just too much. Why are we sticking every badge on our soldiers? To dress them up like Vianese streetcar conductors?

Does EVERYBODY enlisted have to wear the beret all the time now?
    Bloused boots, with blue and gold striped dress pants? A bit over the top isn't it?
    YES, our soldiers do special duty and go to a lot of schools.
    NO, they don't need to cover the front of their uniform with little pins to prove that to the world.

Rank, ribbons and a name tag is all that you need. Maybe one or two skill badges - not ten! I hope a lot of that stuff is optional. I admire the USMC uniform - but not dress blues for every day wear for Army soldiers. A soldier is a gentleman warrior, and a uniform is a business suit - not a white and dress blue merit badge sash. Can we call off the decorators, please?
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  20. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    i think that "Army of One" stuff was the turning point of the liberal mentality that has infected the Army, as well as other branches.....the commercials were quite laughable....anyone think they are an "Army of One"? get in a fire fight and see how long you last alone.....

that slogan was made up to feed the inflated egos of the public school kids who had been getting a pass in school for years because the mentality there was "we have winners and almost winners" as in nobody looses, everyone is equal, being smart does not get rewarded.....

getting a Beret in the Army used to signify the cream of the crop, and yes it was/is a green one.....but i guess the commanders felt the need to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy like the stores clerk who hands out wool blankets behind the enimey lines, and the generals driver and secretary who get a paper cut and take a day off to Berets for everyone.....woo-whoo, nobody special anymore, nobody is held above the rest as better, we wont reward the extra effort, everyone is the same....

o.k., im done....