close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Army makes it official: Green Class A’s done

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by GreenBeret1631, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Army makes it official: Green Class A’s done

By Gina Cavallaro - Staff writer
    Posted : Wednesday Aug 20, 2008 9:24:47 EDT

The days of the green Class A’s are over.

The Army’s plan to make dress blues the only Army Service Uniform has been approved and soldiers who own the uniform are encouraged to begin wearing it now, the Army announced Wednesday.

The move to eliminate the green uniform is designed to streamline soldiers’ clothing bags while modernizing the way the traditional blue uniform is worn.

The new wear policy was announced Wednesday in an Army-wide message from Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey and Sgt. Maj. of the Army Kenneth Preston.

Link:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/08/army_newblueuniform_082008w/

Attached Files:

2. tc556guy

tc556guy

Mar 15, 2000
    Upstate NY
    Anytime they make a major uniform change, they should be providing the new uniform. I have less than 2 years to go; I'll be damned if I'm dropping hundreds of bucks on a new uniform I'll only wear a couple of times.

3. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    We have guys that graduated from BASIC within the last six months, and they were issued Class A uniforms...

The Blues are decent looking uniforms (if you want to look like an 1860s U.S. Army soldier)

4. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Jul 28, 2002
    Moving Target
    Of course, they're changing the Blues too!

And blousing those pants looks purely stupid!

5. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

Jun 3, 2008
    Beaumont, Texas
    lol i think i've worn my class A's maybe a total of 5 times in 10 years - each time on a payday.

6. That is the very point of the Army's Blue uniform and always has been. The US Army started out in our Revolutionary War with a Blue uniform, which soldiers fought in. Our uniforms remained blue through all of our wars and campaigns, (Mexico, Civil War and the Indian wars.)

We switched to other colors in the Spanish American War, WWI, WWII, and Korea where Khaki or OD uniforms were worn. Keep in mind that most of our early uniforms were used in battle as well as dress to include (WWI, WWII and Korea.)

The Greens came out in post Vietnam Era and lasted until now; however, we have had a Blue Dress uniform, as well as a Blue and a White Mess Dress uniform for decades. As a matter of fact, there also was a White Dress uniform (Tropical wear) until just recently. It has been phased out.

The Army Blue uniform is our traditional Army uniform and that is why we are returning to it. All Armies and military units thrive on their traditions and history and they are part of the esprit de corps of any good military unit.

Any professional soldier, should take pride in his uniform(s) and the traditions of his Army down to the unit he serves in.

Here is some info from the Army on the changes!:

http://www.marlowwhite.com/army/uniforms/service-dress-blue/asu-wear-policy.html

8. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas

9. Sorry! I doubt that they ever will do that, except for ceremonial occasions, and the 1st Cavalry's Horse detachment.

I also would suspect that Stetsons and Spurs would be worn at some Cavalry units 'Dine Ins,' Reunions, etc.

My first Division in the Army was the 1st Cavalry Division, both the 7th and 5th Cavalry Regiments. :supergrin:

10. matsig

matsig Millennium Member

Dec 7, 1999
    geneva, Fl
    I like everything but the white shirt. No matter what I am doing I can get a white shirt filthy.

I actually dred the fast approaching day that my rank requires me to wear a white shirt(Fire Dept).

11. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Jul 28, 2002
    Moving Target
    I understand the who and why of the bloused trousers. But with Blues it purely looks stupid.

Some traditions should go away or be modified. Just like Stetsons and spurs. And Armors black berets. And a bunch of others that have faded away do to a lack of usefulness and a change in uniforms, culture, and style.

Mess dress is gone, and that's been a tradition for about 8 times the length of blousing the boots. And seriously, if you have to wear your trousers that way for people to know your status or affiliation it's not a good thing.

12. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    I don't understand:

1. Why the white shirt?

2. Why the stupid-looking belly patch?

3. Why the army is spending money on this?

4. Why the army expects individual soldiers to spend money on this?

5. Why the army allowed retard-blousing of the boots?

6. Why the army won't officially acknowledge spurs or stetsons (it's in the Soldier's Guide and elsewhere in army manuals, but not in AR 670-1)?

7. Why the army picked two jacked-up individuals to model their uniforms?

And, as a Southerner, I don't want to look like a Union Army soldier.

13. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas

drew.

14. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    Oh hell, glocktalk won't let me post the picture I wanted...
    [​IMG]

No idea why it does that sometimes.

16. Biscuitsjam:

Live with it! Quit :crying:

Army blue as a uniform color traces its origins back to the National blue first worn by Soldiers in the Continental Army of 1779. "World-class Soldiers deserve a simplified, quality uniform. The blue Army service uniform is a traditional uniform that is consistent with the Army's most honored traditions,"

Long before Confederate gray Southerners worn the Army Blue, even General Lee!

Get over it WE lost! :wavey:

17. Biscuitsjam

Biscuitsjam

Jan 10, 2004
    Yeah yeah, I know.

If the new uniform isn't required before 2014, I won't pay money for one before 2014.

18. APD

APD Trunk Monkey

Oct 5, 2002
    Travis County,TX
    Do what we used to do, just force some of your new guys to go AWOL by scaring the crapola out of them and take all of their TA-50 when they go. Problem solved.:supergrin:

19. I do wish they would have found better models for both uniforms.

The 82nd Airborne SGM with the Class 'B' uniform, sure doesn't make a good model!

IMO there will be minor adjustments in the wearing of both the Class 'A' and 'B' uniform. Like many here I'm not in favor of the 'White' shirt with the Class 'B' uniform.

I wonder why they didn't design a shirt, the same color as the trousers. Such a shirt in that color could be made out of the same tropical worsted wool of the old khaki TW shirts. Such a shirt with (military creases pressed in) would look a lot better and stay looking better a lot longer than that white shirt.

I can understand the desire to keep the combat patch as well as unit patches, etc. I don't like the placement they came up with though. Keep them on the breast pocket area or just sew them on just like other uniforms.

As for the bloused boots, as a long time Paratrooper, Ranger and Special Forces soldier I understand the why and reasons behind granting that privilege to those that wear the Maroon, Tan and Green berets.

I'm very happy with that decision, as I'm sure most that are Airborne Professional soldiers are!

You LEGs will just have to suck it up! :tongueout: :rofl:

20. torrejon224

torrejon224

Mar 15, 2006
    Oregon
    About time you folks figured out that Air Force blue is supreme to Army green!!