close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Army dumps the black beret as standard headgear

Discussion in 'US Army Forum' started by Swiper, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I am not sure we read the same article there Ranger.

2. WATERS

WATERS

Apr 3, 2012

3. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Right on the money . . . thank you.

4. SGreen

SGreen

May 29, 2011
    South Florida
    I agree, I also hated it when we went to them many years ago and what made it even worse was that they took the black berets from the Rangers in order for the rest of the Army to wear them.

nursetim likes this.
  5. Swiper

Swiper

Dec 31, 2009
    Washington, DC
    He got the idea when he was visiting a ranger battalion and was impressed by how sharped they looked. He figured that introducing the beret to the whole Army would improve morale and esprit of corps.

There were several reasons he picked the black beret for the whole Army:

1. Rangers has made it a symbol of pride and professionalism.

2. Non-ranger units has had the black beret before. The black beret is traditionally worn by armor units across the world. American armor units used it in the early 70s but it was taken away from them.

3. The black beret was a better match for the combat uniform and matched the black boots worn at the time.

I think the 75th Ranger Regiment got the better deal. The tan beret they have now looks much sharper than the black one ever did. The tan beret is also a traditional color for berets worn by ranger units, e.g. the British Army.

6. Swiper

Swiper

Dec 31, 2009
    Washington, DC
    The black beret is still the standard headgear for the Army Service Uniform (ASU) and the Class A/B uniform, but I have bought the service cap and wear it instead of the beret when I'm in my ASU.

7. tnhawk

tnhawk

Oct 25, 2009
    SW Tennessee
    I look forward to the day I can give mine to my hounds to chew on.:supergrin:

8. tankermw

tankermw

Apr 10, 2008
    Florida
    This guy gets it, FUNCTIONAL. When I was a Tank Plt Sgt at Stewart I spoke to the then SMA about this and expressed this same sentiment along with ...Do we really want "soldiers" (notice the quotation marks) who enlist because of a cool hat? He was a real dick and said something like "If you can't get on board, get out" or words to that effect. My response was "That;s why I am retiring at 20 & not a second later." Probably didn't help me as far as promotion boards go but the hell with it, Glad I'm retired.

9. VPD4327

VPD4327

Jun 30, 2009
    East Coast
    Nice, jerryd, if I would have had coffee in my mouth, I would have sprayed it all over my computer screen. Well placed. Anyhow, I think the beret looks good with the ASU (when worn properly). It looks good for dressier occasions but the main problem with them is that all these box o'rocks privates come out of basic not knowing how to shape their beret...ridiculous. A beret has the ability to make you look squared away as **** (assuming you're ht/wt isn't dirtbag mode) or like a complete clown...depending on how you shape and wear it. Call me judgmental, but I would IMMEDIATELY start to guess whether or not pvt snuffy was a d-bag depending on how they wore their beret...and guess what: usually correct.