close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Armscor 10mm ammo

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by agtman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Feb 28, 2001
    Midwest
    Just an FYI, if you haven't tried a box of Armscor's 10mm 180gn FMJ ...

I picked up two boxes out of curiosity to see if this was closer to a true 10mm "practice" load than the barely .40-level Privi Partisan (PPU) 180gn fodder.

From Midway (prod # 622929) Armscor's price pt. is $23.99 per box. This compares favorably to PPU's $21.49 per 50-rd box.

However, the difference in performance is significant. While the Armscor 180gn load doesn't have the snap of DT's old 180gn FMJ practice load (@ 1250fps), it's got every bit of the boxflap velocity of 1150fps/529fpe advertised on Midway's Armscor page.

Over the years I've shot a ton of Remington's 180gn FMJ load, which has the same fps/fpe rating and which Midway offers at $32+ per 50-rd box. A few years back I assisted in chronographing some of the Rem 10mm from a G20 and a S&W 1076 and it averaged only slightly below the claimed 1150fps, so I'm confident that with the Armscor ammo you're getting velocity that is substantially the same, if not a bit hotter, and at a better price pt. Velocities can vary from lot to lot, of course, as we know from long experience from the Win 175gn STHP, and your experience could differ. But I was pleasantly surprised - like walking into a hole-in-the-wall dive and getting friendly service and great food. YMMV.

Again, I'm not suggesting that Armscor makes a full-throttle 10mm practice load. It doesn't, and I wasn't expecting one, but making that type of load is what my reloading time is spent doing.

What Armscor, a Philippine-based company, does do is offer the 10mm user an economic "off-the-shelf" choice of better than .40-level velocity. Plus the brass Armscor uses, IMO, is better than PPU's for eventual reloading.

So pick up a box and try some, and if you can chronograph it, post the results back here. If that was already done, sorry, I missed it.

For many years I was hoping that foreign ammo companies would enter the U.S. 10mm market, at least with a mid-range load although really hoping for one in the upper midrange. PPU did get in recently, but their sole offering is really timid.

My money for a long time had been on Fiocchi, as they make spicy loads in other calibers, like .40 & 9mm. Time will tell.

Maybe if CZ ever gets its "experimental" 15+1, all-steel 10mm gun to to the U. S. market, and if EEA starts importing the Turkish-made K2 10mms to follow up on the .45acp model (a CZ-style double stack), we'll see more international 10mm product coming in at competitive prices.

Maybe these old eyes will even see a 10mm load from Norma again ... :faint:

:cool:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Feb 28, 2001
    Midwest
    Rather than edit my first post, here's a link to a YouTube vid by "drsjr1969" where he chronographed the Armscor 180gn load through a G20, right after testing a box of Underwood 10mm.

The Armscor data is seen further along in the vid, @ about 3:10 minutes in. He gets an average of 1149fps. I would have thought the average would be higher, based on my admittedly subjective sense of "plain feel," and maybe another lot would be.

Anyway, just FYI, ...

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlONYodFh2c"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlONYodFh2c[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

3. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Yes "drsjr1969" page on Facebook needed to be re-liked for some reason when I was looking over David's post there. he's a very nice fellow.

I did the pull downs of the Underwood ammo to see what he was using to get those numbers. He used to use IMR800X exclusively but recent loadings have LongShot and some Power Pistol inside. I haven't had the opportunity to pull down any Armscor ammo to see what they were using.

Thanks for the report... :)

4. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Feb 28, 2001
    Midwest
    You're welcome and I wish it could have been more of a report with my own chrono data.

By the way, I just learned Midway is out of the Armscor.

I thought I recognized "drsjr1969" from previous posts elsewhere. His YouTube work was interesting. Guess I'm late to the party on the Armscor 180gn stuff. Oh well, ...:whistling:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  5. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Thanks for the info. :cool:

6. drsjr1969

drsjr1969 "10mm ammo" FB

Mar 3, 2011
    Hey guys thanks for mentioning my work with the 10mm. The most underrated ammo to the general public in my opinion.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

cougar_ml likes this.
  7. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Feb 28, 2001
    Midwest
    Your welcome!
    And we appreciate all the time and effort you've put into documenting the ballistics of 10mm ammo so that other fans, considering the results you get, can decide how and where to spend their hard-earned $$$.

8. intecooler

intecooler

Nov 15, 2012
    Shadow,

When you pull down the BVAC 180's I sent you that is the same load you will find in the Armscor. BVAC does them for Armscor but you have to pull the information out of them. Last test they were 1199 FPS.

Line 25

https://www.facebook.com/pages/EAA-Firearms/206257602745613

Ignore Armscor line 23 until I get another box. That was done back when they loaded them even better, but I had that one split case and people had issues. They backed it off after that.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  9. Teecher45

Teecher45

Jan 29, 2010
    Well, I know this one has been dead for awhile, but I'm wondering if anyone has any more current data.
    Some info around the boards are indicating Armscor has backed-off somewhat on this loading.
    It's the only loading I can pick-up off the shelf in my neck of the woods.

10. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Haven't had the chance to look at one since October 26, 2013

Cartridge is from Ammo Manufacture: Armscor 180gr FMJ (plated)
    Ballistics Information: 10mm Auto
    Muzzle Velocity: 1150 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 529 ft. lbs
    Brass Make/Headstamp: A USA - Brass
    Bullet Make/Weight/Construction/Info; Length 0.5740”/Dia. 0.4000”: 180gr. FMJ (plated)
    Actual weigh 180.0 grains Crimp Diameter 0.3990”
    Meplat 0.2650” / Concaved Base
    C.O.A.L.: 1.2470”
    Primer: Nickel color
    Case: Diameter 0.4200” Crimp Diameter 0.4220” Length 0.9860”
    Powder Description/Positive ID/Type/Charge Weight: Tight Group 6.4 grains

You can see this data and more here http://10mm-firearms.com/factory-10mm-ammo-pull-downs/armscor-180gr-fmj-(brass-jacket)-pull-down/

They might have changed their loading since, there brass wasn't that great...

11. blastfact

blastfact

Aug 15, 2011
    Oklahoma
    _The_Shadow

Armscor Sucks! I got two 50 round boxs of that crap when I bought my G40. The brass is throw away/recycle scrap. The bullets are plated. Box says FMJ. 980fps ave. over my chrono. IE plated bullets. Has unwarrented snap at discharge because it is loaded with a fast powder. I could not confirm TightGroup Powder. But it is a very fast light load powder. Folks,,, just stay away from Armscor,,, It's liar crap.

12. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

Nov 4, 2002
    Virginia
    I've been getting the new sig stuff for cheaper - like $25-29/ box of 50 rds with brass cases fmj. The advertised velocity is 1250 ft/sec for 180 gr. although I have not chronoed. Seems like a better deal to me.

I handload too, but sometimes laziness prevails.

13. oldman11

oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    Texas
    I don't shoot 40 S&W, so I don't know about their ammo; but their 10MM is good ammo and quite strong. Sorry you had a bad experience with them, but with almost all ammo companies, the 10mm is stronger.

14. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

How is the Sig brass to reload?

15. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

Nov 4, 2002
    Virginia
    Haven't tried reloading it yet. The fired cases, both the brass and nickel, look good - not split or stretched that i see.

16. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

How is the Sig brass to reload?

17. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    The ones I reloaded were good to go! I do pass through all of my brass prior to regular sizing...