close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Armando Lite

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by paltik45, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Well I was watching "Tales of the Gun" on the History Channel this afternoon. The featured weapon was the M16 rifle and they told the history of this rifle and the developement. As we all know this rifle was invented by Mr. Eugene Stoner who was an employee of an aircraft company during that time. They featured the big blunder and the baptism of fire of this rifle during the Vietnam war. While I was waching the show I can't help to recall the "kwentong barbero" about the M16. My fathers freind who was a retired army Sgt. kept on bragging that the M16 was invented by a Filipino named Armando lite and the idea was later sold to U.S. Well I wish I can give my fathers freind a copy of this film to enlighten him;f I am not degrading our inventors as I know we have several inventors who are known to the world and I am proud of them.:) Well I guess the myth of Armando Lite still prevails in the back country of the Philippines.:cool:

2. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Yes, the History Channel also keeps me up late some nights because of its interesting segments on the history of warfare and armaments. Would anyone know if the producers offer their documentaries for sale on some website? Some of their shows would make a valuable addition to a shooter's library.

Also, its the first time I heard of Armando Lite, but then, being an introvert and all, I usually just keep my mouth shut when I have my hair cut :)

3. Eye Cutter

Eye Cutter Moderator

Nov 21, 2002
    Dr. B. Eye
    meron ka history channel? bakit destiny cable and sky cable wala???

you can order the videos at their website

4. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Nov 14, 2001
    Delta Quadrant
    Armando Lite? Kala ko bago'ng beer ng San Miguel. He he.

What cable provider has that History Channel? Our cable provider charges extra for Discovery Channel!

5. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Aye.

I hate it when that sort of crap gets tossed around.

Like, someone claiming a Filipino named Agapito 'Flores' (sometimes Amado or Pedro Flores) invented the Fluorescent Bulb. Bullpoop. This Flores supposedly got a French patent in the 1930's (not true) and pitched the invention to then-President MLQuezon, ahd supposedly GE bought the patent (also not true). In any case, he's predated by Peter Cooper Hewitt who got a US patent in 1901, while Edmund Germer, Friedrich Meyer and Hans Spanner got their patents in 1927. Andre Claude developed the first tubular fluorescents, and the poor fellow gets no credit.

Like, someone claiming a Filipino designed the Lunar Rover. Supposedly Eduardo San Juan, employee of Lockheed Aerospace invented the thing. More Bullpoop. He put together a casual mockup made from junk parts, but based on the design work of many others in the company. In any case, Eduardo San Juan's Lockheed didn't even build the LRV --it was Boeing. Grumman and others washed out of the bidding early: their designs were too heavy and yet problematic. I'm not even sure Lockheed ever made a bid!

Like, someone claiming Filipinos invented balisongs...
    We may build them better than anyone else, and we made them ours culturally, but those really are Franco-Spanish designs manufactured in the 1700's onwards, predating any of the nonsense claims of a Filipino in Batangas inventing them last century. Switchblades involved too many components that locals had difficulty making (like springs, etc.) and so the simple manufacture of the 'bali-sungay' with its carabao-horn handles caught on.

Don't even get me started on erythromycin, waterpowered cars or patis.
    (No, we actually HAD patis before the Spaniards, and there is ample record in Spanish records, no matter how Aling Tentay became the first to make a busines of it --but the Byzantines were probably first with their garum)

Hayayay....

6. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA

Jan 24, 2003
    C®OK COUNTY, IL
    Did a Filipino Invent the M-16 Rifle?

There's a rumor going around that the M-16 rifle was invented by a Filipino, most recently mentioned in the archives of another urban legend, the Art Bell Email hoax. In one of the emails sent in response to the hoax, an irate Filipino claims, "Didn't you know that it was a Filipino who developed the M-16...." (There's more, but I know better than to print the rest of it.)

According to this page on ClassicFirearms.org, the M-16 was first developed in 1956 by Eugene Stoner, "a prolific and talented inventor of small arms." It was originally named the AR15, and came to be known as the M16 later on, with the name AR15 reserved for the semi-automatic version of the rifle.

There's no indication given that Eugene Stoner was Filipino, or had any Filipino background. His obituary says he was born in Gasport, Indiana, in 1922, and educated in Long Beach, California.

From this, we can conclude that the M-16 was NOT invented by a Filipino. However, the M-16 assault rifle did see extensive use in smaller Southeast Asian countries -- including the Philippines -- and is still in use by the Philippine Armed Forces to this day. (Whether that's a good or bad thing for our Armed Forces, I leave to the seasoned military experts.) http://pula.ph/?article=inventor_of_m16

7. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    I dunno Doc, maybe Sky Cable has a different set of programs here in the province.

Alexii, we don't have Discovery Channel here either, even Animax (waah).

Horge, is there anything worthwhile that Filipinos did invent?

8. Valor1

Valor1 Pro Paingiver

Jul 6, 2003
    Urban areas
    I thought the M-16 was invented by Elisco? Kidding aside, this is what happens when there is a lack of heroes or a lack of role models.

As always good point Horge.

9. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Nov 14, 2001
    Delta Quadrant
    Just an observation-- we Filipinos seem to be a "validation-crazy" country. We simply crave for a mark in the international scene. When we do finally make a legitimate mark from time to time (Bata Reyes, Lea Salonga, Manny Pacquiao, etc) we proclaim to high heavens almost to an embarrassing point how good we are. We as a nation seem to crave for validation in everything and we'd have strong words in store for people who'll run counter and stand in the way of our perennial quest (remember our idiotic protest on Jay Leno's remark?).

10. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    Basta ang alam ko the 1911 in 45 ACP was developed for the Filipinos.

vega

11. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA

Jan 24, 2003
    C®OK COUNTY, IL
    iirc for the filipino muslim juramentados during the war in mindanao for a war ages ago

12. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    "to be used for not to be used by"

vega

13. julianz

julianz toxic master

Sep 24, 2003
    sand castle
    kesyo... kesyo.... kung sino man nag invento ng armalite , i dont give a damn all i know is i want one :drool:

14. Allegra

Allegra

Mar 16, 2003
    Philippines
    Like, someone claiming Filipinos invented balisongs...
    We may build them better than anyone else, and we made them ours culturally, but those really are Franco-Spanish designs manufactured in the 1700's onwards, predating any of the nonsense claims of a Filipino in Batangas inventing them last century. Switchblades involved too many compionents that locals had difficulty making (like springs, etc.) and so the simple manufacture of the 'bali-sungay' with its carabao-horn handles caught on.

Basta ang alam ko, pag sinabing balisong, tayo ang sikat
    Could be nagkataon similar lang ang design

15. vega

vega

Sep 29, 2001
    SoCal
    Ano ka ba naman Allegra? ;) Balisong were invented by the Pinoys not by the Spaniards...Look they came over to the Philippines to borrow a lot of things and words. See how they spread the Filipino words to Latin America during the 1500 BC?(should be AD) ;f

vega

16. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Jan 22, 2004
    almost home
    Worthwhile Filipino invention, mikey?
    Sure...

Every year, Filipino inventors come up with something cool. But it seems our inventivenes lies in adaptation/modification of existing technology and concepts. That's often better than coming up with something new but undeveloped and as-yet inapplicable to help humanity.

I'm talking about developing bus and I/O architecture, improving voltage regulators, better fertilizers and pesicides, fully-developed pharmaceuticals from local flora and fauna, ---those are the things that make a huge impact today ---but as the patents are often sold to the large MNC's who can make something of the inventions, we never hear of the Filipino origins.

Here's one:
    McDonald's uses carageenan (from Laurencia seaweed) as a fat substitute in some of its burgers, making them juicier but healthier. The idea was pitched to them by Filipino marine biologists at UP MSI, and made us a bundle in exports until other countries farmed seaweed more efficiently and inexorably ate up our market share. Sayang.

Until our government makes local investment less than a gargantuan barricade of taxes, fees, and endless paper-chasing, all the good ideas will be sold to countries that treat entrepreneurs with respect and care ---and our country will be left with fewer and fewer inventors and investors. We can already see that government, rather than expanding the tax base, is relying on squeezing an obscene amount of redundant taxes from what little, shrinking tax base remains.

Hayayay.

Papa Allegra ;)

As for balisong ---the pied-du-roy was designed with a tongs/pliers-style single pivot and the two familiar handles. It was demonstrably popular with French and Spanish sailors --France and Spain were for a long time either united under the Bourbon House of kings or else briefly under common Napoleonic rule. (There is supposedly an old print advertisement selling the folding knives here for 6 pesos apiece, imported from Coruna, in the late 1800's). In contrast, the earliest balisong ever recorded (or even claimed) as made here in da Feelipeens dates only to the early 20th century ---prior to that, and tellingly, no historical records mention such a formidable (and flashy) weapon made here.

The Philippine balisong uses two pivots, one for each handle and fixed to the blade hilt --simpler to produce, and very, very fast to deploy, unlike the French and Spanish imports.

We didn't invent the folding knife with two handles.
    We did adapt it into a beautiful, frighteningly fast weapon,
    from its Leatherman/SwissKnife-slow, utilitarian French original.
    So yeah, the swift-and-wicked balisong is truly ours.

17. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

I've always thought that Armando Lite, Agapito Flores and the stories behind them is just a myth. Like Mikey said, I always thought its just kwentong barbero. But I never dared debate the subject with a barber giving me a haircut especially when he is holding a razor blade.;f

And the pathetic thing about it is its not just in the barber shops that one can hear those myth. Our kids hear them in school. Its even in our kids' textbooks. No wonder many Filipinos does not even know their own history.

18. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Thanks, horge, for the very informative post. It makes me wish I'd stuck to Chemical Engineering instead of entering the seminary. Maybe I could've been the Filipino who developed recoilless ammunition. Actually, I've always been intrigued by that idea... ammo that has the kick of a .22LR but the impact of a .45ACP :)

19. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Sep 29, 2003
    Shooting
    wetaminit! wasn't there a GE tv commercial harping on the filipino's invention of the fluorescent bulb? ;Q

20. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Jan 28, 2003
    Philippines
    Yes, 9MX. And IIRC, a few months ago, prior to the Advertising Congress convention in Baguio, this advertising group ran a series of TV commercials praising various "Filipino inventions" such as the lunar rover and the flourescent lamp. I guess there really is no truth in advertising :)