close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are you thinking of bugging out when shtf

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by bdcochran, Jul 27, 2011.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

The share of people in rural areas over the past decade fell to 16 percent, passing the previous low of 20 percent in 2000. The rural share is expected to drop further as the U.S. population balloons from 309 million to 400 million by mid-century, leading people to crowd cities and suburbs and fill in the open spaces around them.

In 1910, the population share of rural America was 72 percent. Such areas remained home to a majority of Americans until 1950, amid post-World War II economic expansion and the baby boom.

"Rural" is generally defined as nonmetro areas with fewer than 50,000 people.

When I was born, the population of the US was 141 million.

Ok, so you have skills and insist that you will live off the land and hunt deer. So how many deer are there in the US? Recent estimates put the deer population in the United States at around 30 million.

Ok, so 1 in 10 people will receive 1 deer to live off for a whole year (disregarding that we now have killed all of them off and there won't be any next year).

When you think that you will bug out and live off the country or even farm after shtf in a long term survival mode, think again. This includes the people who wish that they will make it in the northern woods. If a desperate person has a tank of gasoline and an ATV, motorcycle, 4 wheel drive vehicle or snow mobile, those isolates will have the same problems.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

So abandon all hope, ye are doomed!

3. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

NOt doom. Just reality. It means think and come up with alternative plans.

4. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

I'm bugging in, this is a target-rich environment.

5. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting
    Expand Collapse

I'm of the school of though that roads will be blocked with abandoned cars that most rural areas will become all but inaccessible with common transportation. Moral of the story for me is to bug out before SHTF... that's the tricky part.

6. kirgi08

kirgi08
    Expand Collapse
    Southern Rogue.
    Silver Member

tagged.

7. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

I'm pretty sure that where the road hits the rubber the majority of survivalist who plan to bug out and live off the land will fail miserably.

I keep on stressing it to other preppers, once you bug out, or are officially a Homeless, a refugee, a displaced person. If things are so bad, that you choose to leave your home to live outside, there is a strong possibility that if you return, your house may not be habitable, it may be completely gone, and whatever you have stored there could be gone. So this I bug out for 3 days, live in the woods, and come home and everything will be fine, is a pipedream and pure crap.

So assuming you will need carry everything on your back to be self substaining. Guns, a Shelter system, a knife, fire starting, water purification and a water carry system, food prep/cooking and food carry system. Either the survivalist will go very heavy on guns, and very light on everything else and fail either to face death or become looters. Our they will try to go primitiveand ultralight, again death or looter. Another option is carrying everything you need on your back, but the harsh reality of carrying over 60lb of gear will set in, and you still have to deal with how do you get food after all the food you carried in runs out. If you are extremely good and lucky you may be able to hunt and forage enough to eat every day, but you will never be able to keep up the calorie and nuturional intake to keep you healthy long term.

8. Bolster

Bolster
    Expand Collapse
    Not Ready Yet!

I'm not bugging out. I live in a corner of L.A. where we are told, "If a disaster occurs, you will be the last people to leave Los Angeles." On a normal day it takes me 1/2 hour to get to the nearest freeway...which is amazingly remote for Los Angeles. Everyone here will be on the freeway in front of me and there will be no escape for days.

So my plan is to stay here and tough it out in virtually every scenario. I am expecting coalitions of neighbors to form rather quickly and I plan to be an influential voice in mine.

If it's a large nuclear attack and the wind happens to be blowing the reverse of normal, well...let's just say I won't be posting here any more. You take certain risks in life. You guys are welcome to come get my generator, stored water, food, gas, cars, solar still, solar panels, tools, and survival gear once the radiation levels fall.

#8 Bolster, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

There are very few scenarios where one couldn't bug out to complete safety (example, the SHTF is local and going a few hundred miles everything returns to normal).

If it's a national/global SHTF then it probably doesn't matter where you go, unless the immediate vicinity is a hazard itself (nuclear fallout, etc).

I'm being overly general and simplistic but so was the original post. Best that can be done without getting into specific scenarios.

#9 cowboy1964, Jul 28, 2011
  10. Bushflyr

Bushflyr
    Expand Collapse
    ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

There is nowhere that I can go. Straight buggin' in.

11. smokeross

smokeross
    Expand Collapse
    GTDS Member #49

In my mind, I'm already gone. Been bugging out for years. My neighbors and I have a plan to merge our compounds into one, and stack the bodies of the Zombies up to build a protective wall. Should serve as a warning to the next wave.

12. donovan655

donovan655
    Expand Collapse

13. RatDrall

RatDrall
    Expand Collapse

I would imagine that many in the country would see some dude, wearing a tactical vest covered in Molle gear and magazine carriers with a pair of black rifles slung over his shoulder, hanging out on their land, as a threat and take care of him before he knew they were watching. I'll stay home, or move quickly to a friends house as "grayman" as possible.

14. bpe5008

bpe5008
    Expand Collapse
    TSD Blackbelt

It depends on how fast the shtf happens. If it is quickly and everyone panics and runs, then there will be plenty of food left to scavenge no matter where you live. The truly frightening situation is a countrywide famine that lasts months and leaves with you no supplies, and neighbors who become your enemies to protect their own families.

15. Dexters

Dexters
    Expand Collapse

This could become a very contentious thread. It sound very similar to one I started awhile ago.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1166268

There was a post I remember (I'm not going to look for it) where a poster said they would hunt like their father or grandfather did during the depression to survive. None of today's information - more people, easier access to rural areas (roads), less rural areas (expansion of cities/suburbia, population) made a difference to the poster. Several people said that hunting was too difficult for the city folk.

I think it would be very dangerous in the woods trying to hunt or just camp during a SHTF scenario. There would be too many people shooting at anything that moves.

But I'd really hate to get a case of Lyme Disease during SHTF. I doubt if it would get diagnosed or if treatment would be available.

http://www.aldf.com/usmap.shtml

For my Ga friends
    http://www.georgialymedisease.org/

#15 Dexters, Jul 28, 2011
  16. Dexters

Dexters
    Expand Collapse

17. bdcochran

bdcochran
    Expand Collapse

"There was a post I remember (I'm not going to look for it) where a poster said they would hunt like their father or grandfather did during the depression to survive."

Yes that is correct.

I went deer hunting in high school. So, when was the last time I went deer hunting? About 1980. I had a license and went up to the Sierras. There was no snow pack that year.

Now, the location of Mamoth Lakes is remote. The radio news said that there were 80,000 hunters in the area on opening day. Every place we turned out on the dirt road to attempt to camp or prepare to shoot there were already a lot of people. We drove the backbone of the Sierras in a regular passenger car.

After that experience, I stopped hunting. So, I qualify as an oldtimer with hunting skills. If someone wants to think that I am going to go to that remote area in 2011 and survive, that is ok with me.

If you personally want to believe that you are ok, then that is fine with me. I won't attempt to change your mind.

The family has property that is planted in trees and backs onto a State Preserve. 5,000 people live in the nearest town that is 3 miles away. The highway runs within a couple hundred yards of the property. If you got in the car in the nearest city and drove down the highway, I am 45 minutes away. Some people think that because the family owns the land and it backs up on a protected game reserve that there will be a lot of wild game. If they want to believe that the people in the nearest town won't be on the property at sunup on the first day after shtf hunting, that's fine with me.

I am an old guy. I raised chickens and a garden when I was a kid. I have an ownership in a farm. If a person wants to believe that it is easy to be a farmer, that is ok with me. A lot of people are buying up farmland. The reality is a lot different. Ask a real farmer, not some one who just read a book on farming. Now try being a farmer 24/7 carrying a handgun after shtf.

Most of the shtf incidents are transitory like a car accident, a home fire, a nearby derailment, a tornado or a hurricane. If minor, it can be the power off for a few days. Focus on those situations and leave bugging out to the movie makers.

18. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

To me, bugging out is an option of last resort. There is a lot of risk with traveling. You cannot carry as much as you store at home, although you can stock your BOL...assuming your stuff is there when you get to the BOL. These are major risk items. So the risk of staying has to outweigh the risks in leaving for me to bugout.

In the OP, I think you're really talking about a TEOTWAWKI scenario. In that case, I'd expect the population will endure a sharp decline for a variety of reasons. Relying on deer meat would likely result in starvation. I think having an ample stockpile will help get you through dry periods of no outside food sources. However even that will dry up. Having your own means for growing and raising your own food would be the best answer. Not many here (myself included) are doing this today.

19. quake

quake
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Those point out two important distinctions to make. Some mean "bug out to live in the woods"; some mean "bug out to uncle Henry's farm 40 miles away"; and those are VERY different things. The 'live in the woods, wandering hobo of the apocalypse, follower of gunkid' style bugouters are facing a deck hugely stacked against them. The 'get out of dodge to a pre-arranged retreat a reasonable distance away' bugouters still face huge dangers, but do have a better chance long-term imo.

Any way found to avoid bugging out, also avoids the dangers of bugging out. Not always possible (chemical spill, impending tsunami, whatever), but when possible, bugging-in is the more controlled, and so the less chaotic, option.

#19 quake, Jul 28, 2011
  20. FryCook

FryCook
    Expand Collapse

I cant think of a worse Hell than bugging out with 3 technology addicted kids and a wife who hates spiders. Of course they would want to bring the cats and dogs along.
    I would bring the Chihuahua, Shes good in a fight.