close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are you paying for your kid's college education?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pugman, Apr 6, 2012.

1. pugman

pugman

My brother and I had this discussion last night as he set up a fund for his son...a little late mind you since the kid is 12 going on 13.

UW Madison, who seems to raise tuition every single year, isn't the $3-4,000 a semester it was when I went to school 20+ years ago. I think its closer to $10K now?

And no, you don't need a college education to be successful and I still think in today's economic climate the average guy might be better off developing a skill and being damn good at it. My MIL's boyfriend is a master welder - has a rock solid rep with his own shop - and is almost to the point he either must turn down jobs or cut back on his 70-80 hour work weeks. Even bringing in help in the form of a full time employee and two part timers barely allows him to meet deadlines - but he does meet them.

Are you paying for your kid's college? I can't see how families with 2 or 3 kids do it considering the cost of an education now a days. UW Madison as mentioned above has also become more selective - where you could get accepted with a 2.2 GPA 20 years ago not any more. So even the "encourage your kid and hopefully he gets some grants and scholarships" barely covers your bases any more.

2. ede

ede Bama's Friend

State of Ohio paid for my sons education, daughter used a combination of grants, scolarships, income from working, and help for mom and dad. me and wife paid for hers, employer paid for mine.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Started a Coverdell account a week or two after Colt was born.

I've been around long enough to know that it's never too early and college isn't going to get cheaper. :)

Hey bro, it's better to start late than not start at all! :)

4. TalkToTheGlock

TalkToTheGlock Zombie Hunter

I goto a private Catholic college in PA for biochemistry and received around $80k in scholarships so far ranging from Chemistry organizations, to Doctors, to Bishops.

Cost is $28k a year off campus, which I am. It is worth it to me because of the small Professor to student ratio 1:14.

Scholarships are out there.

iPhone 4

5. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

The inlaws set up state accounts. We will do whatever we have to to make up the difference. My parents got loans for me and made the payments until I graduated and took them over. I also had a few small scholarships.

6. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

You all paid for mine /gibill

Thanks, bros :wavey:

7. wrczx3

wrczx3 Jerry

The financial show I liten to every Sunday morning says it is much more important for you to save for your retirement before tapping your money to pay for a kids college.

8. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I don't have any kids so, no, I'm not paying for my kids' college educations.

However, my tax dollars help pay for other people's kids' college educations.

9. byf43

byf43 NRA Life Member

Two put through college (with degrees), the third is at VT, and one is still in High School.

I'm so broke, I can't afford to pay attention.

Just for kicks and (no) grins, VT is $34,000.00 per year for out-of-state tuition!!!!!!!!

10. jknight8907

jknight8907

I wouldn't consider an 80-hour work week to be successful! It's nice to have time to actually do something other than work and sleep.

11. mhill

mhill

I'm putting money away for my kids. I'll pay tuition for 4 years if they keep the grades up at an in-state school. They will have to cover room and board with their work/savings.

12. JMS

JMS 02

4 years will be paid for. 2 years community/2 years state school. Degrees in liberal arts, communications, etc will not be paid for. Degrees in engineering, science, medicine, etc will be paid for.

13. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

We are paying for our son's schooling through medical school. We will do similarly for our daughter.

These threads always depress me.

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

Sure will, if I can (and I plan to have the means). I think paying for my kids to go to college is something I should do as a parent. Not "have to" but "should if possible." I know some people can't afford it and that's fine too.

15. xray678

xray678

Yes. One son in college now, pre-med. I will also cover med school. My younger son will be in college in a couple of years and we will pay for his college.

We do have one rule. If I catch him using drugs or smoking, he is on his own.

16. Averageman

Averageman

Ive put a couple hundred bucks a month (the grand total of my Sons Child support I recieve) since age 8; now that he is 16 I can see it wont be enough.
    I will keep socking it away, but his money is tied to the market and thats not been too hot over the last couple of years.
    We will make it, we may do it through a two year school and then a State University, but it will get done.
    More than a four year education and he will take out Student Loans (if they still have them then.) and a fulltime job.
    Mine was paid for while I was in the Service, earn and learn. Anyone can get an education in the U.S. if they are willing to put on the big boy pants and work hard.

17. sappy13

sappy13

I dont have any kids but as soon as I do i am going to start putting away money to help pay for their college. The Hope scholarship in GA paid for mine, but I highly doubt it will be there when i have a kid that is old enough for college. In todays market, you really need a degree to get anywhere. And a bachelors degree is really expected, it doesnt even set you apart from the crowd like it used to. Without it or tons of experience(hard to have if just starting), you just get overlooked for any good job. In the op a master welder working 80+ hours a week is referenced. I would not want to have a job working 80+ a week, so I dont want my kids to have to do that either. I would rather give them the opportunity to choose what they want to do. If it costs me money than oh well. My parents helped me when I was in college, so I will do the same when I have kids. I want them give them a strong start. Plus, the concept of apprenticeship has kinda gone out the window since formal education became so readily available.

18. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Excellent.

19. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

This is what my parents did. I look back on it now and think of what a leg up I would have had if I hadn't been sending a large hunk of my income off in the form of those loan payments when I was right out of school. We paid for my wife's too, as we got married right after she graduated.

So...in the spirit of giving my kids that leg up, they each have a college account. It might not cover everything, but I'm thinking that what I save, plus and grants or scholarships they can put together, plus some work income on their part will hopefull cover it without putting them into debt. It's my gift to them. Not something I feel I have to do, but I want to do.

If they get to college age and decide to go a different route, I'll reinvest the money elsewhere as I see fit at the time.

20. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I won't pay for it outright, but I'm going to make a donation. Been putting back $50 a month for each kid since they were born. $600 a year x 18 years = $10,800. Was shooting for around $15,000 - $20,000, so hopefully the economy picks up.