Are you happy with your 590A1 ?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by glockguns, Jan 29, 2013.

1. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

I bought a used 590 8 shot with rifle sights and love it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #21 michael_b, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  2. michael_b

michael_b BRC #1492

Took me 1 1/2 hours a couple of weeks ago here -and I thought that was long lol.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

3. My 590A1 (20 in. barrel) is reliable and I like it but I think it is too long & too heavy compared to my 500 with 18.5 in barrel & 5 round mag.

If I was going to get another 590 I would skip the heavy barrel, would get an 18.5 in barrel version and would buy a mag extension. For some reason Mossberg makes the 18.5 in. barrel 590 with only a 5 round mag tube.

#23 DFin, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. Understand. I got the 590A1, with 18.5 in. barrel, speedfeed stock and rifle sights. I'm okay with the 5+1 for now (my first shotgun anyway). Didn't seem heavy in the store, but of course it wasn't loaded. I hope to pick it up Tuesday or Wednesday, if everything goes through okay.

Mine is not in a box, so I'm assuming I should get a manual and a lock with the gun ?

5. Not necessarily. But try here: https://www.mossberg.com/manuals/500_835_590_535_en.pdf

or here: https://www.mossberg.com/service/manuals

Local sheriff dept in my neck of the woods will give gun locks away for the asking. Not too expensive to buy either ($6-12.00).

Weight is a little heavier than other shotguns because of the thicker barrel. Are you going to bird hunt with it?

I like the shorter barrel for HD. It is easier to maneuver around corners and less leverage for an attacker to work with. IMHO that is. I really wanted the 20" barrel with 9+ mag and bayonet lug... why a bayo I have no idea, just sounds cool, i guess. The 18.5, turns out, fits the bill better than I excepted. It is nice and compact for camping too.

6. Bullman

Bullman Deranged Deputy

I undstand that feeling as well. That is why I got my 500. It was originally one with a 7 shot magazine and I sent it to Vang Comp and had them put a 18 inch barrel and 5 shot tube on it so I can have one available that is shorter and lighter if I want. Right now my 590 with the 20 inch barrel and 8 shot magazine is my work gun. Once I got a rack put in the car I started using it because it was a little dinged up already and I didn't mind it getting a little rack wear on it. If I am going to a school or something and I want a gun that is a little slicker and patterns consistent with different kinds of ammunition I will take the 500.

7. I have the Mossberg 590 Special Purpose 8+1 model that I've been really pleased with. It's not the A1 because it doesn't have the heavy barrel but does have the ghost ring sights which makes shooting slugs easier. I also bought the Ontario M9 bayonet for it just for kicks!

#27 akgunnut, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  8. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

mine is a special purpose.

it is a mossberg. it will outlive me.

iff you are a mossberg person, it is hard to beat a 590.

9. I have two 590A1's and they have been great. :supergrin:

10. megawatt

megawatt Electron maker

Very happy with my overbuilt 590A1 "persuader" model. Does a shotgun need heavy barrel and dual extractors? Maybe not but I like that mine does. Its been trouble free 100% in four years so far.

[​IMG]

11. I picked up a blackwater model last year for 3 gun/HD. I like the features (sights, rails for a light, safety position, etc). I bought it because of the reliability I had with the 590a1 while in Iraq,
    I have had problems with feeding shells though. That may be due to a stiff piece (can't recall the name - its in the receiver and retains the shells in the mag tube), or the cheap walmart ammo I'm using.
    Once I get that sorted out, it'll be perfect for my intended use.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

12. Cartridge Stopper/Interrupter ? I've read on several posts that it can come from the factory bent inward, which causes feeding problems. The solution, at least from what I've read, was to remove the piece and bend it out a bit toward the receiver. If you do a search on Cartridge Stopper or Cartridge Interrupter there is a lot of info on it. Not sure if that's your case, but thought I'd mention it here. Here is one post that mentions it.http://www.mossbergowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5600

13. It's an excellent shotgun. I don't care for the ghost rings however, and can shoot slugs fine without them. I don't plan on touching off a slug in the house anyway.

14. Just picked up my 590A1 yesterday. Wow, what a nice gun. It's built like a tank. One thing I did though, is went ahead and ordered the Hogue stock with a 12 LOP. Can't wait to shoot it.

15. The only 590A1s I have heard complaints about are the Blackwaters. I bought a 6-shot with ghost rings, but have not yet been to the range. I may end up giving my two remaining 870Ps the broom.

16. I've had 590A1, for 20 years! I've shot the POOOOO out of it! Never a problem with it.

17. chr_edw

chr_edw Holster Maker

Love my 18.5" with ghost ring sights. Would do it all over again.

18. Thanks for the link! I'll try it out tonight.
    Scott

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

19. F_G

F_G

For inside the house distances, no, rifle sights don't make sense. But, they also are not a hindrance and if you ever have to deploy slugs, they are awesome. I prefer ghost rings which my 870P and 2 Benelli M1S90's have (can you tell I like shotguns?), but my 1100P has rifle sights and I really like those when shooting slugs at 100yds.

#39 F_G, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  20. I like the Thunder Ranch 500, short stock & easy rail attachment for a light...I think they are less prone to short-stroking malfs than the 870...