close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Are you going to prepare for the next ammo shortage?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by M2 Carbine, Mar 14, 2014.

1. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Dec 21, 2002
    Texas
    Lets say the current ammo shortage is over.
    Ammo is available again and the price is about as low as you think it's going to get.

You are one of those shooters that was totally unprepared for the current shortage. You had little or no ammo.
    You are either a new shooter, or you didn't prepare, or you didn't want to, or couldn't afford to buy a bunch or ammo.

So, now that the current shortage is over what are you going to do?

Have you learned your lesson and now you are going to slowly put extra ammo away until you have maybe a 2-3 year stash?

or,

Are you going to do like you did before and have little or no ammo and just sit around and blame "hoarders" or anyone else but yourself for your lack of planning in not stashing away ammo for the next shortage?

2. JAS104

JAS104 NRA Life Member

Apr 2, 2012
    USA
    You're asking GT whether to buy ammo? Get the popcorn. As for me, I've got enough that's necessary.

3. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    I have what I need but I continue to buy several boxes each payday just to put back. Buy more than you shoot and you'll always be set.

4. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Amarillo, Tx
    I buy as I see the ammo I like at prices I like, in quantities that replenish what I shoot and build a surplus.

I also hope to be reloading in a couple of months, so that should help with both target and precision ammo.

5. Reb 56

Reb 56

Mar 12, 2007
    South Texas
    I think I'll keep my normal amount of ammo on hand, couple hundred rounds for each of my center fire bolt guns and about 1000 rnds of .223 for my AR. I try to keep about 200 rnds for my M1 Carbine. As for as Hand guns go always try to keep maybe 300 rnds in 9mm. And maybe 200 .22lr.
    I don't plan to lay in any huge amounts of ammo for any future shortage. When ammo supply is low, I shoot my Bolt guns to conserve my stock.

6. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    Yes I am. I learned the hard way the first couple of magazine panics before stocking up on those.

Been squirreling away ammo for years and have a pretty decent stash. .22LR was the one I ignored, I never in a million years dreamed there would be a run on .22LR. Luckily I have a little stashed away, but not much.

I'm not willing to pay bogus prices for it, but when it stabilizes I will be slowly acquiring a large amount of it.

Ammo never goes bad and will always be useful. Its not a bad thing to have around the house. I don't have a problem and need help.

7. Cirdan

Cirdan

May 16, 2013
    I try to keep 1,000 rounds of each caliber in stock, but won't pay ridiculous prices. If there's a panic, I can wait it out, and still shoot when I want to.

8. Omaha-BeenGlockin

Omaha-BeenGlockin

Dec 16, 2001
    U.S.S.A.
    I refuse to pay scalper price for .22----went it comes back to normal---I'll slowly stash away at least another 10k rounds.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  10. I cast my own bullets and reload so I wasn't really affected by the ammo shortage.

I am having some trouble finding my favorite powders now. Will stock up on them when I can.

The only ammo that is tough to find at the moment is .22lr. But I still have over 10k of that on hand.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.

11. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Silver Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I'm always buying ammo... Always have and always will.

I'll never have enough.

12. 45caldan

45caldan

Aug 27, 2007
    central Florida
    Don't you know that if you have more than 50 rounds of ammo you are a Hoader? :upeyes:

There are those that are smart enough to stock up (when possible) and those that wish they had.....

13. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw

Apr 27, 2013
    Texas
    We should all be investing heavily into precious metals....those being lead and brass.

14. wct097

wct097

Jan 11, 2000
    VA
    I certainly wasn't expecting the run on .22LR. When/if it ever becomes available again, I'll stock up more. I probably shot 4-5k worth of .22lr in the first three quarters of 2012 and probably haven't shot 1k since. I buy my limit whenever I find it now.

Wasn't really affected otherwise. Still have 2-3k of .22LR and reload everything else that I shoot regularly.

I can shoot reloaded 9mm for less than the local range charges for .22lr. I've just transitioned from shooting a lot of .22 to shooting a lot of 9mm.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  15. COYBOY

COYBOY

May 4, 2013
    Texas
    Quit shooting paper and save it for the real threat!!

16. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I'm still good from the last one.

And as mentioned, buy/shoot, or shoot when it has already been replaced.

And I'm comfortable in my old age not shooting for a while if needed. Hasn't saved any squirrels lives…

17. snopro168

snopro168

Feb 18, 2014
    It's this "stocking up" line of thinking that will CAUSE the next ammo shortage

18. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    Guess you’ll be running around looking for ammo the next time this occurs. Don

19. Back durring the Y2K scare, I was working on a computer software project with a bunch of guys that were new to firearms. Every Monday morning the topic of conversation was always what new gun they had bought and how many 100s of rounds of ammo they had purchased. I listened but never said anything. Finaly one morning they asked me what I was buying to get ready for the end that was comming. I said I'm not buying anything. They asked why? I replied all I need is one 22lr hollowpoint and I will have all your ammo. They wouldn't talk to me for weeks. LOL!!!

20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

May 24, 2000
    Beaumont,Texas
    :agree: