Are you allowed to CCW while on duty?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by gordo993, Apr 11, 2013.

1. In light of yesterday's events in Georgia, I am looking to gather info to present a proposal to my Chief. If you are allowed to CCW, I would be very interested in seeing your SOP/SOGs in reference to this...
    Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Baltimore school police not allowed to be armed while in school bldings Cop Talk Mar 7, 2015
    Breakdown in FBI NICS allowed Roof to buy handgun. The Okie Corral Jul 10, 2015
    New and finally allowed in Forum! Introduction Forum May 29, 2015
    When I See Juggalos, Am I Allowed to Shoot Them? Uncategorized Oct 15, 2008
    Guns Now Allowed In Tennessee Parks The Okie Corral Apr 25, 2015

3. RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP Inactive/Banned

We're not. That is a company policy. Also one of the hospitals is listed 30.06 and more than a few nursing homes are too. Plus there is no place in our ambulance to secure a weapon.

4. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic
    Silver Member

DADT. Sorry if that doesn't help you but I plan on going home at the end of the shift.

5. Years ago, there was an incident between two Phoenix firefighters at Station 26, I believe. The incident got so heated that one armed himself with a 1911 pistol and the other retaliated by breaking his arm.

No firearms allowed at the stations, on vehicles, and on duty personnel cannot be armed for any reason, other than those who are certified as and performing primary duties as law enforcement officers. This applies to Phoenix and metro municipalities.

6. Can't even have a firearm in the car in the parking lot.

7. Not allowed to at my dept. I do see it one day, we already have swat medics and they are allowed a whole different set of rules...I would love to be ABLE to carry on duty. Concealed is great...no one would be the wiser

8. Employees...shall not wear on their person, not carry aboard any ambulance, any firearms, weapons or explosives.

9. What are the rules for your SWAT medics? Can they carry while on duty, or do their rules pertain to department issued firearms stored while on duty? As a SWAT medic, I wrote the firearms policy, but it only pertains to firearms storage while on duty...

10. Well the short and long of it (because I don't have the policy handy) is that they are allowed on fire and police property with a firearm when going to and from a call out. Also allowed to store gear and issued firearm in vehicle.

We ARE allowed to store a firearm in our vehicle. Our state law supersedes our dept policy. It has already been discussed via union rep and chief of dept.

The issue for us is that our fire station is directly connected to the police station. So we created a new policy.

11. We have a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy at our Volunteer firehouse. Took me a bit to realize that is what you meant by DADT, DGreno!

Our previous Chief said he didn't want to see firearms at the FD, so that "policy" has just been continued.

12. Not allowed at the state level. Plus both companies I work for prohibit it.

13. Used to have a dadt policy till someone screwed it up for the rest of us. Now if your caught you get fired

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

14. DGreno

DGreno FF/Paramedic
    Silver Member

Sorry. :wavey:

My boss (fire chief) does not seem to care. Our city policy states that one may carry with permission from their department head. I have never openly tested this policy for the fire department.

15. not allowed to have your wallet/drivers license and/or wedding ring in case you have to be deconned. I know old timers would tell stories about guys who packed back in the bad old days saying you never knew who you could run into trying to get the roof. I know guys came in on 9/11 packing. I always had a body armor vest for my driver in my locker when I was a boss.

16. I know we went for medicals in my army reserve unit once and out of 3 companies in the battalion 64 handguns got vouchered and only 6 guys were cops

17. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Nope, must remain secured in your personal vehicle. No guns allowed in the house or in any fire apparatus at anytime.

18. I"AM on a small rual dept we can carry on a missing person if it takes us back in the woods just about all of us have are ccdw never no what you might come up on in the woods LIKE A METH LAB ..

19. ProbieG

ProbieG Future Hoser

I have a buddy who is a driver, he also holds his peace officers cert. His captain allows him to carry on duty.

20. I'm a 23 year vet of a suburban volunteer fire company. After the Rochester, NY incident I successfully lobbied to change our house rules to allow CCW in the station. There is technically no rule against carrying during a call, but I have several reservations as to why I don't, but would like to as there some strange people that "rubberneck" at emergency incidents.

1. Would there be any danger to myself or others of taking a loaded weapon into a high heat environment?

2. If I left it on the rig how would it be secured? Too many things going on at a working structure fire. If we are not first or second due engine there is a chance that the rig could be left a significant distance from the scene unlocked.

3. If it can't be secured on the rig, what if there are no other members present with CCWs (not all members are licensed)? What if no one else, licensed or not, wants the responsibility for others' weapons?

4. As a driver or ICO I could carry without a problem. But there is always that chance that we need able bodies to go in and a non structurally qualified guy could show up and take over at the pumps for me, or a higher ranking officer could arrive and take over ICO duties. Thereby putting me back in points 1 thru 3.

#19 LocknLoadPA, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
  21. I carried both open and concealed for my last 7 years on the job, now retired.

But, I was a Fire Marshal for those 7 years. I also worked as a Police Officer for another city on my days off from the FD. I had the best of both worlds and was also an EMT.

Those were some fun times.

#20 Firecop203, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013