close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are You Allowed A Beard?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Peace Frog, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Peace Frog

Peace Frog ...............

Jan 24, 2007
    Texas
    Just curious...any LEO's here allowed allowed to wear a beard?

When I was in my teens KPD allowed officers to wear a beard if it was trimmed and clean...They don't anymore and the only LEO's I ever see with beards are some of the alphabet agencies.

Thanks!

:wavey:

2. pulaskipusher

pulaskipusher Topodaworldma!

May 1, 2007
    North Idaho
    Beards are OK as long as they are not grown on duty and it is kept trimmed.

3. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I am with one of the alphabet agencies, (BOP), and yes we're allowed a beard, even if it is long. However, supervisory staff usually have to be clean shaven for the most part, with the exception of a small amount of beard growth. I could actually get by with an orthodox beard if I wanted to, (think Hassidic, orthodox Jewish), complete with ear locks, and uncut corners.

4. razdog76

razdog76 Heavy Mettle

Sep 26, 2007
    Ohio
    Can't say I know of any that allow anything other than an issued stache. Although most agencies are not likely to have to use gas masks, a beard would interfere with a good seal.

5. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

You would be surprised what you can stick in a gas mask, lol.

6. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Not for uniformed patrol, a mustache is all you can do. No beards or goatees. One of the narcs grew a goatee and the admin went back and forth on that one, it's certainly never going to fly for patrol.

7. golls17

golls17 Lifetime Newbie

Feb 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Mustache only, and no I don't rock it...

8. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    mustache only for my agency. One day I might take enough to vacation to grow one. It has always been a running gag with the guys that anyone coming back from a long vacation (2-4) weeks must come back with a full blown mustache and rock it for atleast the first week back.

needless to say it is very clear that some people are born to wear a mustache, and some aren't.

9. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Jan 16, 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    The only facial hair allowed in my department is a mustache and not a single officer has one. I can't think of a PD in my county that permits anything beyond a 'stache.

The county below us, however has many officers with goatees.

I, personally, am not at all a fan the goatee-in-uniform look. I'd rather see a uniformed officer with a full sleeve tattoo then one with a goat. :whistling:

Drug guys, of course, should do whatever they need to in order to blend-in.

10. I have to agree. I've seen a few guys on Cops with goatee and beards in uniforms. I think it just plain looks weird.

I can't think of any departments in WV that allow a beard for patrol, although there might be a small PD here or there that does. I'm not sure that mustaches were even allowed with my last agency.(never seen one) It was very para-military and only the brass had long (by that I mean long enough to comb/part) hair.

11. josepavento

josepavento

Oct 11, 2004
    Colorado
    Full beard or goatee allowed. Mustache as well. Must be well groomed. Sideburns no lower than the bottom of the ear.

12. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Every place I've ever worked, no beard was allowed, but my last department would allow you to have a beard if you had a medical reason that you couldn't shave. One of our officers had been in a wreck on his previous department and caught a ton of glass in his face, and was self conscious about it. He was the only non-medical exception.

Personally, I think beards or goatees in uniform look unprofessional, but it's not my call, so... :dunno:

13. Peace Frog

Jan 24, 2007
    Texas
    I don't get the whole goatee thing...its full beard for me or nothing.I don't get the beards that are outlined down the jawbone either.Then again I'm not in LE and I do understand policy but I never got why most agencies don't allow beards...I've had a beard since I got out of the Army in 1986,I think nobody would recognize me if I shaved it off.

Also I know 5 local LEO's who have retired and everyone of them has grown a full beard or goatee...Rebellion? :rofl:

14. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

Jan 19, 2003
    Lost in thought...
    Peace Frog,
    You dont' need a beard, man! Those days are over! Just be proud of who you are. There are laws in place to protect you now. Oh...wait...I think I may have misunderstood your post. :whistling:
    Gonzo

15. Knute

Knute "Nothin"

Aug 28, 2004
    Northern Colorado
    I've been wearing a full beard for almost 2 years now (patrol included) and a goatee for 6 years before that. I've never had an issue with a failed seal on any gas mask. I don't mind them for patrol, but they do bother me for dress uniform reasons. So when I have dressed for things such as LODD funeral I have shaved it off.

16. Peace Frog

Jan 24, 2007
    Texas
    :rofl:

No Sir...that's not the way I roll.

Seriously though,when I was in the Army I had to shave morning and at noon.I got several warnings about shaving.They didn't believe I could have that much stubble at noon if I shaved in the morning.Not long after Top had the BC write a profile for me that my beard did in fact grow that fast and I didn't have to dry shave if ordered to.
    When I got out I just grew a beard,easier than shaving two or three times a day.Had one ever since.

17. MeefZah

MeefZah Cover is Code 3

Jan 2, 2008
    Lost Coast, Cali
    No way.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  18. USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

USMCSGT ARMYMP OHLEO

Jan 14, 2011
    Ohio
    Mustache that is well groomed only!