close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are we raising a culture of losers? (no pictures)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Green Mountain Boy

Green Mountain Boy

You owe me a phone rofl.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Wow, it sure got quiet around here when I asked who does your laundry? Who cooks your meals?

:rofl:

3. LEOson

LEOson

You hit a nerve because you're being an ******* about it. Last time i checked, being an adult involves being financially responsible. I'd be willing to bet many kids my age would be willing to live rent-free, or low rent, at home and save money up than spend their hard earned money living in some crap hole. And to answer your question, my parents provide the roof; I provide everything for myself underneath it. If it was financially possible for me to move out, of course it would. But just because my parents let me live with them doesn't mean i'm a loser.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. steve581581

steve581581

I see the same problem with my gf. We grew up together and are now in our 30's. she has absolutely no problem solving skills, her people skills are atrocious, and don't even bother asking for some common sense. It's irritating to the point that I now just tell her to figure it out and walk away. Her mom has coddled her so much that I have to explain that life isn't a fairy tale at least twice a week. People these days are pathetic.

It's sad that most of my friends find it strange that I fix things that break, own a sewing machine and know how to use it, have power tools, and buy do it yourself kits or build something from scratch rather than a finished product. But that's where my parents raised me differently. Growing up my parents had enough money to buy me anything I wanted but I had to work for it and if something of mine broke I had to fix it or at least attempt before they would offer suggestions or help. I moved out the summer after I graduated high school and only went back once for a few weeks while in between apartments years ago.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  5. ohsnapzombies

ohsnapzombies

Tough guy

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  6. pugman

pugman

Yes.

I could paint all types of pictures of people with ten times more facebook friends than actual friends. I know people who kids are going to school for a Social Networking degree. I understand its impact on today's younger generation but this degree will have as much usefulness as a Liberal Arts degree in my day.

The fact we know no longer have 1st, 2nd or 3rd place but "Participation Awards."

On the upside, when the T-Virus finally gets out these people will be the first to go.

7. CharlieDelta127

CharlieDelta127

I'm a 20 year old college kid, and I'll tell you the answer to your question.

Your damn right we are. My generation is worthless. I am one of the lucky ones who had a pair of parents who raised me right with a work ethic and pride to stand on. To see the amount of my peers who are clueless to how the real world operates, and unable to do anything without mommy and daddy is disgusting. Granted, assistance from ma and pa is acceptable (in my book) but reliance, is not.

I pray for a turn around my friends, because if it doesn't happen, you can kiss a great country goodbye.

EDIT: They're are some out there who are decent and not a bloodsucker. Few and far between though.

8. Filhar

Filhar

I work with a woman who has 2 daughters in their 20s that have their own homes. 6 children between them and expect their mother to babysit all the time and run their errands. She gets calls at work all day long asking favors. No husbands in the picture. She loves it. If she could quit work and take care of children and grandchildren 24/7 she'd do it. I really hope it isn't catching. There' s no hope of any of them being self-sufficient.

9. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Don't feed the troll!

10. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

I figure this is pretty spot on... so I will post it again, just in case it got lost in all the other noise.

Yes, losers and ignorant cowards.

Suppose I should extrapolate this out a bit. I know that my kids are not raised spoiled, dependent or as cowards. But I see the results of parents giving too much to their children just to appease the children. And those results get leadership such as Feinstein and Obama and others of their cloth elected.

The results are children that fail to launch, incur massive amounts of debt and take mounds of drugs to keep them stable. Since the removal of corporal punishment from not only our school systems but homes as well, and the new fangled "Talk to them!" methodology of child rearing we have a nation full of spoiled brats dependent either on their parental units or the government.

The sense of entitlement is fostered at home by parents that give to their children for little to nothing in return. So the child is programmed to believe they are owed so much for so little. This extrapolates out to a much larger problem as they grow older. But by then it's too late to correct the behavior in a timely and efficient manner.

I am not saying we should be beating our children, quite the contrary. Children need solid and firm discipline, a sense of order as well as a sense of belonging and being important in the family unit. As I have told Mali, I believe that MOST children can be raised without ever having to use physical coercion to obtain the expected behaviors. But there are some children that the ONLY way to get their attention is to hit the reset switch in their bottom.

There are many reasons why our children are being raised screwed up:

1. Family units are broken apart by divorce.

2. Family units refuse to mend past issues with elders thereby alienating a generation of built in child care.

3. Families are spread out which eliminates the ability of elders to help their children raise their children.

4. Both parents are working full time jobs which eliminates parental supervision and is used as an excuse to extract oneself from the responsibility of parenting.

5. Discipline is viewed as a negative thing. It isn't. How discipline is instilled is the problem, but discipline itself is a powerful tool in any persons kit.

6. Government intrusion into the private lives of families. I understand that abuse does happen, I lived in an abusive home... I know first hand what abuse is... and what it isn't. The problem is now little Johnny or Jane can run to a school official and rat their parent out. The child's word is taken over the adults word with very little initial investigation.

This creates an environment where parents are terrified of CPS coming into their homes. Children are pretty smart and if they sense ANY way to get an upper hand they will take it. CPS is their upper hand that has ruined many good families... all because the child didn't get what they wanted.

There are more reasons and sources to the overall problem. But the simple fact is to take our nation back we must also take back the responsibility we have ALL allowed to be given to the government. It's time to reform the public education system, it's time we start impeaching representatives that FAIL to uphold their oath of office. It's time we start building heroes such as John Glenn, Audy Murphy, Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong.

But... yeah the current crop of young folks are losers... and we are all partially to blame for it either directly or indirectly.

11. sputnik767

sputnik767

You know something, of all of the experiences in my life that helped make me an "adult," doing my own laundry and cooking my own meals didn't really factor in. I knew how to wash my clothes and make a basic meal well before I moved out, and following an online recipe is something a 10 year old can do. However, I learned a lot while living at home, working 1-2 jobs, and going to college full time that prepared me for living on my own. Primarily financial knowledge. It's amazing how much you can learn when you don't have to worry about such things as cooking and laundry. And look at my situation now: I spend 14+ hours per day at a hospital (without pay), while paying my school $40k per year, have an hour+ long commute, come home having to cook and maybe get 3-4 hours of sleep. I would love to have someone doing my cooking and laundry, but that's not an option. So if I lived at home, which I would do in a heartbeat if the option was there, I suppose I would be a loser in your eyes, and not a functional adult. Sorry to break it to you, but you didn't strike a nerve with anybody. The whole issue is that your argument is idiotic, and the funny part is that you just keep digging yourself deeper and deeper.

12. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Heroes, Audie Murphy was a hero. He went above and beyond. The rest were astronauts doing a job they were trained and expected to perform. They did. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I want to be reminded of a hero, I remind myself of the selfless acts of Marines and soldiers who dive on grenades to save their buddies. THAT is a hero. Oh, they are part of the same generation you characterize as "losers and ignorant cowards".

Think strongly before you stereotype anyone. Its wrong.

You work in a California college right?
    Perhaps the kids you see there have tainted your view.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

Marines and soldiers of every generation have dived on grenades to save their comrades. That wasn't limited to the so-called "greatest generation" at all.

14. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

The heroes I am referring to are the ones we see on TV, that does not negate in anyway the heroism of military, fire, medical and police. The intent of my prose was simple, instead of idolizing people who play games quite well, maybe we should go back to idolizing people that make a real difference in our society and our world.

The men I mentioned as heroes were the heroes I grew up with. They are who I looked up to as a kid, who inspired me to do better not just for myself but for my fellow man. My views are not tainted by the kids around me either. Which is one reason I am always "in trouble" for me being me.

And if you don't think walking on the moon, orbiting the earth and basically strapping your ass on top of a massive explosive device built by the lowest bidder isn't going above and beyond then you can't that to even get selected for such a job is quite difficult indeed. Those men were the cream of the crop when it came to doing their jobs. The best of the really greats.

15. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

I agree with you 100%.
    I am glad you see I was referring to the recent war heroes.

16. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

What did these men inspire you to do or become?
    John Wayne inspired me to become a soldier. He never served. He got a waiver. Strange, huh?

I agree the astronauts were the best of the best and did a huge accomplishment, not heroic.
    Were they famous because they were the first?

Above and beyond..... Your example reminds me of PFC Johnson. He drove a fuel truck in our convoy as we entered Iraq and took artillery fire as well as crew served weapons fire. He stuck at the wheel sitting on "a massive explosive device". He wasn't a hero either. He was trained, did his duty and returned home safely. Thankfully.

I get where you are coming from. I really do. The people who make heroes out of actors, athletes and musicians are the ones running the big corporations that run those types of businesses. I doubt those people and anyone on their board are under 40.
    It is our generation screwing it up as you previously implied.

17. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Only losers raise losers ;)

But seriously, the last few generations have left this country worse for each subsequent generation -- substantially worse.

The last few generations outsourced most decent manufacturing jobs. Bankrupted the government. Increased government debt to mind blowing amounts. And crushed personal Rights.

What the heck did they expect to happen. The next mythical golden age of America?

18. whoops dude

whoops dude

My parents always told me they will help me as long as I help myself (going to school). My parents helped through school financially and I am a recent college grad. I lived at home for awhile at the cost of paying a few things and helping my aging parents around the house. My parents are a huge part of my success and I thank God for them. What's the problem with a little parental support? I'm still very independent, I ask for nothing and I expect nothing.

19. rppnj

rppnj

I agree that it's unfair to portray an entire generation as 'losers'...in my post (page 5), I am writing specifically about what I experienced at my place of employment. However, I stand by what I wrote about our nanny government and the coddling of our children by a progressive educational system and many of today's parents.

20. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

It's also unfair to use a wide brush to paint a whole generation as "the Greatest."