close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Are we raising a culture of losers? (no pictures)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ysr_racer, Jan 24, 2013.

1. dango

dango

Ban (isms) now....! :dunno:

2. Landmonster

Landmonster

This is an interesting situation really.

On the one hand, if you're a kid in a position to accept something, you're NOT gonna turn it down. For example: If you were a high school lad, and dad offered to buy you a free BMW and pay for college, and mom offered to do all your laundry and make you sandwiches every day.... are you going to turn that down?

Not likely.

On the other hand, a kid who was given less might end up having an advantage in life, because he was able to mature faster and become tougher/harder-working. For example, like a kid who enlisted in the Marine Corps at 17 years old, or the kid who had to work night-jobs to pay for his own college.

The same situation is really applicable to our politics now.

It's kind of like expecting a democrat receiving Welfare and Foodstamps to suddenly become self-aware enough to vote for a Republican president so that he can get a job and become self-sufficient.

From a Republican or self-sufficient point of view, the guy receiving Welfare and foodstamps while everyone else has to go to work is sickening. In the same way, a 30 year old who works and owns his own house is gonna look down on a fellow 30 year old who lives in a basement at mom's house and plays video games all day.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

One of my cousins is 44-years-old and still suck off the teats of mommy and daddy. Obviously he's not of current generations.

4. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Yes, losers and ignorant cowards.

Suppose I should extrapolate this out a bit. I know that my kids are not raised spoiled, dependent or as cowards. But I see the results of parents giving too much to their children just to appease the children. And those results get leadership such as Feinstein and Obama and others of their cloth elected.

The results are children that fail to launch, incur massive amounts of debt and take mounds of drugs to keep them stable. Since the removal of corporal punishment from not only our school systems but homes as well, and the new fangled "Talk to them!" methodology of child rearing we have a nation full of spoiled brats dependent either on their parental units or the government.

The sense of entitlement is fostered at home by parents that give to their children for little to nothing in return. So the child is programmed to believe they are owed so much for so little. This extrapolates out to a much larger problem as they grow older. But by then it's too late to correct the behavior in a timely and efficient manner.

I am not saying we should be beating our children, quite the contrary. Children need solid and firm discipline, a sense of order as well as a sense of belonging and being important in the family unit. As I have told Mali, I believe that MOST children can be raised without ever having to use physical coercion to obtain the expected behaviors. But there are some children that the ONLY way to get their attention is to hit the reset switch in their bottom.

There are many reasons why our children are being raised screwed up:

1. Family units are broken apart by divorce.

2. Family units refuse to mend past issues with elders thereby alienating a generation of built in child care.

3. Families are spread out which eliminates the ability of elders to help their children raise their children.

4. Both parents are working full time jobs which eliminates parental supervision and is used as an excuse to extract oneself from the responsibility of parenting.

5. Discipline is viewed as a negative thing. It isn't. How discipline is instilled is the problem, but discipline itself is a powerful tool in any persons kit.

6. Government intrusion into the private lives of families. I understand that abuse does happen, I lived in an abusive home... I know first hand what abuse is... and what it isn't. The problem is now little Johnny or Jane can run to a school official and rat their parent out. The child's word is taken over the adults word with very little initial investigation.

This creates an environment where parents are terrified of CPS coming into their homes. Children are pretty smart and if they sense ANY way to get an upper hand they will take it. CPS is their upper hand that has ruined many good families... all because the child didn't get what they wanted.

There are more reasons and sources to the overall problem. But the simple fact is to take our nation back we must also take back the responsibility we have ALL allowed to be given to the government. It's time to reform the public education system, it's time we start impeaching representatives that FAIL to uphold their oath of office. It's time we start building heroes such as John Glenn, Audy Murphy, Buzz Aldrin, Neil Armstrong.

But... yeah the current crop of young folks are losers... and we are all partially to blame for it either directly or indirectly.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  5. Landmonster

Landmonster

It would be interesting to look at a correlation between parents who coddle kids and their political beliefs. I expect this group to sway towards liberal.

It would also be interesting to look at a correlation of those people being coddled and their political beliefs. I expect this group to be highly liberal.

6. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Well, from what I see here in the middle of liberal hell... your extrapolation is pretty damn accurate. I find that children raised in conservative leaning families to be self reliant, self starting and responsible. Just my observation and trust me I have over 14,000 persons to observe!

7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy Silver Member

Calling parents/friends is not bad in my opinion but yes too many can not live/operate on their own.

8. norton

norton

Really? What sacrificies has your generation made that come even close to those of TGG?

9. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

Good post. See also:

http://http://wordsfromwags.com/generation-why/

10. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Before I make comment on what their legacy is.........
    What sacrifices has that generation taken that were not forced upon them by the then existing circumstances?

Please be nice.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

11. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

Read any Internet forum. They're full of "me/I" first/only posts & posters.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

12. norton

norton

Take a look at combat deaths in WW2. In the 10 years we have fought in Iraq and Afg, the total number of deaths is about 6500.
    In WW2, the death toll for American service men was roughly405,000. That is about 62 times as many deaths. Do you think there is any way Americans today would have put up with that number? and of course many of the service people in WW2 were conscripted.
    It was not forced on them. They were called, and they went. This would not happen today.

13. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

An interesting comment was made by a dog trainer about household pets, some time ago. He said that owners of dogs that are household pets, will not permit their pet grow up to adulthood. That is, the dog is talked to, worked with, played with and generally treated, all throughout their life as if they were still a puppy.

The dogs are not being allowed to mature into working adults dogs. People want puppies because they are more like babies, and owners more often prefer perennual puppies so they can baby them for the owners personal fulfillment. There are few families that really need or want fully matured adult working dog. Some do, most don't.

I think this is the same situation for parents with their children. They do not want the child to grow up because then the parent will lose the closeness and dependence of the relationship.

In times past, the parents had all they could do to support themselves during later life and retirement. They had to ensure their children were self reliant so they could be pushed out of the nest, of financial necessity. But with the Government assistance increasing now, parents have more money to keep their puppies longer and some just can't let go. Puppies forever.

Disclaimer: Yes, I love my dog and I try to keep him a puppy forever. it's for me.
    My kids are on their own and I couldn't be more proud of them. It's for
    them.

14. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dude, you really are going to compare combat deaths between generations??

Ok

You began this line of comparison

The level of technology is different. We have a vast advantage. Great!

We are fighting a borderless war.

Our medics and medical technology is better so there are fewer deaths.
    I am disgusted to even to have to post that for a comparison.
    I APOLOGIZE to everyone except norton.

We are an All VOLUNTARY military.
    We dont wait for the letter.
    We are already in uniform.
    I was
    My older son is
    My younger son is

Did you?
    I bet you did. You seem like someone who did your part.
    Like one of my grandfathers, my dad, me and my sons.

So please explain your next sacrifice that was made by that generation that hasn't been made by the current one.
    This one has been squashed.

NEXT?

15. norton

norton

I am not dishonoring anyone. I did not serve. I am from the baby boomer generation. I wish to thank everyone who has sacrificed for their country.
    but the TGG -as a whole-was called upon to sacrifice in a way and at numbers that stagger modern terminology. I agree medical technology is light years ahead of where it was in WW2. But TGG fought a global two front staggering war, that consumed nearly all of America's resources. Those who were left behind here in the U.S. were called upon not to drive cars, to ration food, women were called upon to do mens work in factories-it lead to better lives and more opportunity for all women-and families were shattered by the overwhelming death totals for US service people not seen since the American Civil War.

Keep in mind. We are discussing generations here, not individuals.

16. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Thats your argument for calling it the GREATEST GENERATION?

Those at home had rationing and the line forced upon them, understandably.
    We are currently running a war with so many fronts an algebra teacher would need to explain it to me. And maybe a geography teacher too. Mmmm probably not.

Look, I am not looking down on that generation. They had hard times, no doubt. I am saying they dont deserve a moniker of the greatest generation.

The baby boomers dont nor do the x-y-z-1-2-3 or whatever.

I am not trying to upset you. It seems obvious this time affected you deeply in one way or another.
    If you would like to continue the debate, please give an example, not to include WWII, how that, or ANY, generation can be crowned the greatest.

Remember, I have not even brought out negative aspects of that time.
    Right now, its about proving your assertion of the greatest generation.

17. The Maggy

The Maggy

Let's see, we have a bunch of older people in here complaining and blaming the younger generations and someone has already dropped "the greatest generation."

Keep in mind that my generation is entering into an economic world that has been left in ruins by the previous generations.

Keep in mind that a generation does not raise itself. The current generation is the sum total of the past two or three generations that have had a hand in our up bringing. We are collectively what you designed.

That being said, my generation currently has access to and routinely explores more information on a daily basis than most generations before us even had access to. My cell phone has more processing power than NASA used to put a man on the moon. Don't count us out simply because we are taking advantage of what is being offered to us.

18. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

I agree with you.

Technology.

[ame]http://youtu.be/w9ERiI1epI4[/ame]

HHahahahahaha

I couldnt resist!

19. norton

norton

I will agree with you that job opportunities are not what they should be for young people. I have a son who is between x and whatever came next (Y?). He is a college graduate, works hard and is trying to get ahead.
    No one is counting you out.
    But ask yourself this. What do you think the reaction of your friends, fellow students, co workers would be if tomorrow you received a letter from the Federal Govt, requiring you to serve in the US military for the next two years? Not by choice, not because you are patriotic, or for any other reason, but because you are the right age to be a trigger puller.
    Oh and chances are you will be sent to fight a foreign enemy in the jungles of the Pacific islands, or over the farm fields of France and sadly many of you will never return. Would you or your friends do it?

20. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Forgive me for jumping in on this one.
    The baby boomers had that happen to them in Vietnam. Why are they, you, not the greatest generation?

Please, once again, explain why its called the greatest generation.
    You are 0-3 so far.
    Maybe lets agree to disagree.
    Seriously, lets.
    I am really trying to be nice.